RE: [hreg] Peak Oil

  • Richard D. Kelley
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12 8:21 PM
      Would you have any info on any farm cabin / or "low dollar deal" living situations farm cabin for a x computer guy about to lose his home?

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12 10:18 PM
        RE: [hreg] Peak Oil

            I have a friend who has a small garage studio apartment in houstons east end.  I think he charges 325 a month.  He usually leases to students but if you want I can give you his contact info.  I dont know how he would feel about having an unemployed tenant though so I dont know how possible it would be.  Im sorry its not much but let me know if youre interested.

            Israel

      • jclem412@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13 11:30 PM
          READING LIST
          Home Power Magazine.

          The International Academy of Science, 26900 Pink Hill Road, Independence, MO. 64057 has the papers: "Oxides of Nitrogen Control for Appliance Conversion to Hydrogen Fuel", "Hydrogen Homestead", "Fuel from Water", and "The Hydrogen World View".

          "The Party's Over" by Kjell Aleklett, of Sweden.

          "The Greening of Cuba" = recommended video

          (from Diane Clemens)

          <http://www.economist.com/background/displayBackground.cfm?story_id=3831358>

          A titanic struggle between supply and demand

          Apr 6th 2005
          From The Economist Global Agenda

          Oil hit another new high this week and OPEC promised to raise its production
          by another 500,000 barrels per day to help ease the pain. But with capacity
          tight and demand continuing to grow, high oil prices may be here to stay

          TALK about record oil prices is beginning to get a bit tedious; oil seems to
          be hitting new highs with the regularity of a metronome. This is, naturally,
          more than a bit tedious for consumers, who are having to dig ever more
          deeply into their pockets. More frightening still, it might get worse before
          it gets better. Last week, Goldman Sachs released a report predicting that
          oil prices may stay above $50 per barrel for several years. Oil prices
          obliged by jumping. On Monday April 4th, light crude hit $58 for the first
          time ever. On Tuesday and Wednesday morning, the price fell back by a couple
          of dollars in response to forecasts of growing crude-oil stocks in America.
          The market may also have been somewhat reassured by comments on Tuesday from
          Alan Greenspan, most notably that a big enough increase in crude inventories
          would “damp the current price frenzy”. But the Federal Reserve chairman also
          expressed concern that the world did not have enough oil-refining capacity.

          OPEC responded to the latest oil-price record by promising to open the taps.
          The oil cartel’s acting secretary-general, Adnan Shihab-Eldin, said on
          Monday that it was ready to produce another 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) if
          prices stay high. But according to experts, the market is so tight that this
          may be of little help. Oil prices, remember, barely paused for breath
          following OPEC’s last production hike, of 500,000 bpd, on March 16th.

          Only six years ago, many, including The Economist, were predicting that oil
          would stay at a lowly $10 or so per barrel for the foreseeable future.
          Nonetheless, as the authors of the Goldman Sachs report point out, the laws
          of supply and demand are catching up with an oil-hungry world. There is
          barely any excess capacity in the oil industry, which makes it hard for the
          market to meet new demand. Russia, the producer to whom markets have been
          looking for salvation, has seen its rapid production growth level off in
          recent months, and the other non-OPEC nations are thought to be producing
          about as much as they can. Meanwhile, even OPEC has little margin to spare:
          by one estimate, the cartel can pump only another 1.5m bpd—a small fraction
          of its members’ current quotas of 27.5m bpd—before it smacks up against its
          production ceiling. With the International Energy Agency (IEA) forecasting
          oil demand to grow by 1.81m bpd in 2005, supply and demand would seem to be
          heading for a showdown.

          The analysts at Goldman Sachs think the only thing that can restore
          equilibrium in the market is a sustained period of high prices that forces a
          cutback in consumption. This would give producers time to build more
          capacity, which could sate demand and cushion supply shocks, such as the
          Iraq war. Part of the reason that prices are so high is that today’s tight
          margins mean that a natural disaster or political unrest can leave the world
          without enough oil to go round. With big producers like Nigeria, Venezuela
          and Iraq looking unstable, people selling contracts to deliver oil in the
          future are demanding a hefty premium to cover the risk that the contract may
          mature in the middle of a shortage.

          So far, however, that premium does not seem to be translating into lower
          consumer demand. When oil spiked in the 1970s and early 1980s, consumers
          responded by using a lot less of it. This time, however, they seem blithely
          unconcerned. Economies have become a lot more fuel-efficient over the past
          20 years; as a result, spending on petroleum products is a smaller
          percentage of income. Governments have also begun taxing fuel more heavily,
          so that the price of crude makes up a much smaller fraction of the price
          consumers pay at the pump. And in Asia, where a lot of the demand growth is
          coming from, fuel prices are generally controlled by the state, so consumers
          aren’t feeling the pinch as much as they should. In 2004, international
          energy prices went up by 40%, but in oil-guzzling China they rose by only
          half that.

          For all of these reasons, the Goldman analysts reckon that prices need to
          go—and stay—higher still before demand begins to weaken. In real
          (inflation-adjusted) terms, oil reached its all-time high in 1980, of around
          $90 a barrel (see chart). Back then, OPEC saw revenues plummet as consumers
          cut back sharply. This time around, Goldman thinks that it might take prices
          of more than $100 per barrel to make consumers retrench.

          Demand-side economics

          These sorts of price levels are a big problem for oil-importing nations,
          particularly if they are sustained. Long bouts with high energy prices bring
          on stagflation, the combination of high inflation and low growth that erodes
          incomes and undercuts economic stability. With that in mind, the IEA has
          issued a draft report on how countries can build emergency programmes to
          deal with high oil prices.

          Some of the report’s ideas are worn-out. It proposes a rapid expansion of
          car-pool lanes, for instance, despite these having failed to get people
          sharing vehicles in America. However, in an interview with the Financial
          Times, Claude Mandil, the IEA’s executive director, suggested something that
          could make a difference: ending fuel subsidies. Asia is forecast to generate
          40% of the global increase in oil demand in 2005; letting the market's price
          signals get through to consumers would help demand align with supply before
          a crisis develops.

          Over the longer term, global capacity will need to expand. High prices
          should eventually attract companies looking for new oilfields to exploit. As
          oil majors such as Shell have been forced to restate downwards their
          estimated reserves of unpumped oil, the pressure to find new fields has
          grown further. This week, ChevronTexaco announced that it was buying Unocal
          for $16.4 billion, a move heralded largely for beefing up the American oil
          giant’s exploration and development business.

          But new capacity takes years to come onstream; in the meantime, the woes of
          the world’s oil consumers seem likely to grow. Surging oil prices could
          stall the fragile recoveries of many industrial nations, particularly Japan,
          which is a heavy oil importer. Europe is somewhat more insulated by its high
          fuel taxes, and by the euro: since oil is priced in dollars, the dollar’s
          depreciation against the euro has mitigated the damage. But with German and
          French economic growth still weak, rising fuel prices might yet be the straw
          that breaks the camel’s back.

          Perhaps the biggest worry of all is America, which is highly exposed to the
          price of oil, because of its low taxes, and because oil is priced in its
          currency. America has led the way out of the global slowdown. If oil prices
          hit hard, might it lead the way back into the next one?
        • Lunce
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
            "The End of Suburbia" is a very compelling documentary. It was shown at
            the Peak Oil Mini Conference this past weekend. Perhaps we can include
            it in a HREG event sometime in the near future. If you have not seen it
            yet, click here for clips of this documentary
            http://endofsuburbia.com/previews.htm

            Lunce
          • Nan Hildreth
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
              Great idea, Lunce.  What about showing End of Suburbia at the Renewable Roundup in Fredericksburg?  I have copies to preview.

              End of Suburbia will be shown again in Houston on September 14, Wednesday, 7pm at the Museum of Fine Arts with a Q&A after by Matthew Simmons.   www.realfilms.org/upcomingfilms.html#sept

              Simmons is author of Twilight in the Desert which asserts that Saudi Arabian oil production may collapse soon due to overworking their aging fields and that Saudi reserves figures may be inflated.   Simmons is also CEO of the world's largest energy investment bank and a prominent Houston citizen.    He is interviewed in the film.

              Nan Hildreth

              At 03:09 PM 7/10/2005, Lunce wrote:
              "The End of Suburbia" is a very compelling documentary.  It was shown at
              the Peak Oil Mini Conference this past weekend.  Perhaps we can include
              it in a HREG event sometime in the near future.  If you have not seen it
              yet, click here for clips of this documentary
              http://endofsuburbia.com/previews.htm

              Lunce

              Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/