Re: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
      Greetings,
      Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
      warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
      all the time or not.

      Bright Blessings,
      kim

      SBT Designs wrote:

      > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
      > Please let me know if we can be of service.
      >
      > Steven Shepard
      > SBT Designs
      > 25581 IH-10 West
      > San Antonio, Texas 78257
      > (210) 698-7109
      > www.sbtdesigns.com

    • SBT Designs
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
        Flow rate is 2GPM. Warranty on the pump is 3 years.
        Warranty on the module is ten years.

        Steven Shepard
        SBT Designs
        25581 IH-10 West
        San Antonio, Texas 78257
        (210) 698-7109
        www.sbtdesigns.com
        > Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
        > warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
        > all the time or not.
        >
        > Bright Blessings,
        > kim
        >
        > SBT Designs wrote:
        >
        >> We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for
        >> $250.00.
        >> Please let me know if we can be of service.
        >>
        >> Steven Shepard
        >> SBT Designs
        >> 25581 IH-10 West
        >> San Antonio, Texas 78257
        >> (210) 698-7109
        >> www.sbtdesigns.com

      • Richard D. Kelley
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
          I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.

          I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.

          I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.

          Just so you know.

          BB

          SBT Designs wrote:

          > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
          > Please let me know if we can be of service.
          >
          > Steven Shepard
          > SBT Designs
          > 25581 IH-10 West
          > San Antonio, Texas 78257
          > (210) 698-7109
          > www.sbtdesigns.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Richard D. Kelley
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
            I am seeking employment opportunities!

            Thank you,

            Richard D. Kelley, PMP
            Certified Project Manger
            Rdkelley@...
            (281) 933 - 3958

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
              Greetings,

              Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
              fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?

              Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
              to find them?

              I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
              so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
              down.

              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              Richard D. Kelley wrote:

              > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
              >
              > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
              >
              > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
              >

              > Just so you know.
              >
              > BB

            • Joseph
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
                Hey Kim:

                I just got back from the SEI solar electric class last week in Austin, and
                we talked about the 'practicality' of solar electric applications. I had
                assumed in reading your original post that grid power was too expensive,
                which had led you to consider a solar alternative.

                I think two problems make solar electric seem a bad choice.

                1: You are literally buying all your electricity up front with a solar PV
                panel, which is a hidden cost when you tie into grid power.

                2: The cost of grid power today is about .10/kWh, which is very cheap.

                Also, for your application, if install cost for the grid power is low, and
                the long term life of the project is unknown, then it may indeed be the
                best solution for now. If I had to pay an electrician to bring power to
                my pond, I can easily see that costing in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

                The advantages of solar electric for such an application would include:

                1: If energy rates go up dramatically, it won't matter because the panel
                is already paid for.

                2: If install costs are somewhat higher, needing conduit, tying into a
                circuit panel, etc. The costs could easily exceed a solar panel. The
                same benefit of off-grid water pumping applications.

                3: Safety, 12VDC won't be much of a hazard 5 years down the road if the
                wires fray or short, 120VAC will be dangerous.

                4: Renewable advertising: people seeing a PV powered project are excited
                by the idea, and it helps put the idea of renewable energy in their minds.
                The current high panel costs and low energy rates make solar PV more of
                a niche market strictly from a cost recovery POV, but even so, the fact some
                applications are already cost effective with the most expensive renewable
                technology out there is impressive. Couple that with proven cost effective
                renewable technologies like solar thermal, and maybe you can change a few
                minds!

                As far as driving the costs down, I'm hoping if more and more people buy
                solar PV for the cost effective applications like DC water pumping,
                off-grid power, and even small fountain applications where install cost
                of grid-power makes the PV install reasonable, then a larger production
                base of PV panels will be established, which ultimately should bring their
                cost down. So we need those rebate programs to keep small installs going
                on all the time, keep the demand for panels high, so industry to make them
                will expand and drive the supply side up.

                I know we all know this, but it's important to realize that unlike some
                other industries, renewables has an enemy. The non-renewable energy suppliers
                want renewables to fail, or they want to control renewables themselves to
                keep the money stream in their favor. But sunshine falls on the greedy and
                the needy alike, and transmission of power works against the large scale
                distributor in this case.

                That's one thing I really like about solar, it favors small local business
                over large regional ones. It brings the business end closer to the community
                and thus inherently more socially responsible for the local community's
                interests, both environmental and economic.

                Well, enough from me for now.

                Good luck with that fountain however you implement it!

                Best wishes - Joseph Davis

                On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                > Greetings,
                >
                > Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
                > fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?
                >
                > Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
                > to find them?
                >
                > I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
                > so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
                > down.
                >
                > Bright Blessings,
                > Kim
                >
                > Richard D. Kelley wrote:
                >
                > > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
                > >
                > > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
                > >
                > > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
                > >

                > > Just so you know.
                > >
                > > BB
                > >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Kim & Garth Travis
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
                  Greetings,

                  Actually, the options are not as black and white as grid vs solar, at least
                  not for me. Over the next few years I will be installing a few small
                  windmills for pumping water and generating some electric. We are
                  installing a diesel generator for major electric, but which will not run
                  all the time, just when needed and will operate on waste veggie oil. We
                  will have some small solar systems, for individual projects and so on,
                  depending on what it the most cost effective system we can figure out for
                  each problem.

                  The grid will be gone, but that doesn't mean I need to go to DC power for
                  everything. Or one main system for the whole place.

                  I do believe we will go with solar for the fountain, but with a much
                  cheaper system that anything the pros have recommended. I have scrounged a
                  gel cell battery and a 300 watt inverter so with the proper circuitry, I
                  can go solar for well under $50. The fountain will only operate in the
                  later day and early evening, but I did state in the original message that I
                  didn't care if it ran all the time. I can buy a 5 watt solar battery
                  charger for $29.99 from Harbor Freight. With a few relays and sensors I
                  can make the system function only when there is enough power in the battery.

                  There does seem to be a certain number of small inverters begging for homes
                  out there as people upgrade to larger ones. I will definitely be taking
                  all I can find.

                  So far as I have been able to tell, the biggest enemy that renewables has
                  is the building codes, neighborhood deed restrictions and big dollar
                  people. Solar is cheap with a real quick pay back on hot water and solar
                  clothes dryers, two of the things that it is hard to do with the local
                  gestapo overly watchful about how things look. If we could implement a
                  wider usage of just these two, think of the energy saved, especially here
                  in Texas.

                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim

                • SBT Designs
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
                    I could use some help over here in San Antonio.
                    What can you do?

                    Steven Shepard
                    SBT Designs
                    25581 IH-10 West
                    San Antonio, Texas 78257
                    (210) 698-7109
                    www.sbtdesigns.com

                    > << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
                    > Kim,
                    >
                    > We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping
                    >

                    > Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.
                    >
                    > * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
                    > * Stainless steel pump housing
                    > * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
                    > 12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller
                    > driven;
                    > Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.
                    >

                    > Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks
                    >
                    > Larry Weber
                    >
                    > Naturallighting.com
                    >

                    > On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Greetings,
                    >>
                    >> Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
                    >> wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
                    >> fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
                    >>
                    >> Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
                    >> Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
                    >>
                    >> Bright Blessings,
                    >> Kim
                    >>

                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    > Naturallighting.com
                    > 1939 Richvale
                    > Houston, Texas 77062
                    >
                    > Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
                    > FAX 281.488.0823
                    >
                    > email: larry@...
                    > http://www.naturallighting.com
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Andrew McCalla
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 18, 2005
                      For those of you endeavoring to do things with Bilge Pumps, you might find
                      this review/shoot-out helpful:

                      http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

                      Andrew H. McCalla
                      Meridian Energy Systems