Re: [hreg] Peak Oil

  • H.C. Clark
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
      Is there a source of used, or otherwise reasonably priced, solar panels in
      or near Houston? I need 50-150 watts for my farm cabin.

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2005
        Try Southwest PV in Tomball.

        Is there a source of used, or otherwise reasonably priced, solar panels in
        or near Houston?  I need 50-150 watts for my farm cabin.

        > It imperative that people start educating themselves about peak oil.
        >
        > The following site is very informative:
        >
        > http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Richard D. Kelley
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
          Would you have any info on any farm cabin / or "low dollar deal" living situations farm cabin for a x computer guy about to lose his home?

          << File: ATT00029.htm >> Try Southwest PV in Tomball.

          Is there a source of used, or otherwise reasonably priced, solar panels in
          or near Houston? I need 50-150 watts for my farm cabin.

          > It imperative that people start educating themselves about peak oil.
          >
          > The following site is very informative:
          >
          > http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Israel Palacios
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
            RE: [hreg] Peak Oil

                I have a friend who has a small garage studio apartment in houstons east end.  I think he charges 325 a month.  He usually leases to students but if you want I can give you his contact info.  I dont know how he would feel about having an unemployed tenant though so I dont know how possible it would be.  Im sorry its not much but let me know if youre interested.

                Israel

          • jclem412@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
              READING LIST
              Home Power Magazine.

              The International Academy of Science, 26900 Pink Hill Road, Independence, MO. 64057 has the papers: "Oxides of Nitrogen Control for Appliance Conversion to Hydrogen Fuel", "Hydrogen Homestead", "Fuel from Water", and "The Hydrogen World View".

              "The Party's Over" by Kjell Aleklett, of Sweden.

              "The Greening of Cuba" = recommended video

              (from Diane Clemens)

              <http://www.economist.com/background/displayBackground.cfm?story_id=3831358>

              A titanic struggle between supply and demand

              Apr 6th 2005
              From The Economist Global Agenda

              Oil hit another new high this week and OPEC promised to raise its production
              by another 500,000 barrels per day to help ease the pain. But with capacity
              tight and demand continuing to grow, high oil prices may be here to stay

              TALK about record oil prices is beginning to get a bit tedious; oil seems to
              be hitting new highs with the regularity of a metronome. This is, naturally,
              more than a bit tedious for consumers, who are having to dig ever more
              deeply into their pockets. More frightening still, it might get worse before
              it gets better. Last week, Goldman Sachs released a report predicting that
              oil prices may stay above $50 per barrel for several years. Oil prices
              obliged by jumping. On Monday April 4th, light crude hit $58 for the first
              time ever. On Tuesday and Wednesday morning, the price fell back by a couple
              of dollars in response to forecasts of growing crude-oil stocks in America.
              The market may also have been somewhat reassured by comments on Tuesday from
              Alan Greenspan, most notably that a big enough increase in crude inventories
              would “damp the current price frenzy”. But the Federal Reserve chairman also
              expressed concern that the world did not have enough oil-refining capacity.

              OPEC responded to the latest oil-price record by promising to open the taps.
              The oil cartel’s acting secretary-general, Adnan Shihab-Eldin, said on
              Monday that it was ready to produce another 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) if
              prices stay high. But according to experts, the market is so tight that this
              may be of little help. Oil prices, remember, barely paused for breath
              following OPEC’s last production hike, of 500,000 bpd, on March 16th.

              Only six years ago, many, including The Economist, were predicting that oil
              would stay at a lowly $10 or so per barrel for the foreseeable future.
              Nonetheless, as the authors of the Goldman Sachs report point out, the laws
              of supply and demand are catching up with an oil-hungry world. There is
              barely any excess capacity in the oil industry, which makes it hard for the
              market to meet new demand. Russia, the producer to whom markets have been
              looking for salvation, has seen its rapid production growth level off in
              recent months, and the other non-OPEC nations are thought to be producing
              about as much as they can. Meanwhile, even OPEC has little margin to spare:
              by one estimate, the cartel can pump only another 1.5m bpd—a small fraction
              of its members’ current quotas of 27.5m bpd—before it smacks up against its
              production ceiling. With the International Energy Agency (IEA) forecasting
              oil demand to grow by 1.81m bpd in 2005, supply and demand would seem to be
              heading for a showdown.

              The analysts at Goldman Sachs think the only thing that can restore
              equilibrium in the market is a sustained period of high prices that forces a
              cutback in consumption. This would give producers time to build more
              capacity, which could sate demand and cushion supply shocks, such as the
              Iraq war. Part of the reason that prices are so high is that today’s tight
              margins mean that a natural disaster or political unrest can leave the world
              without enough oil to go round. With big producers like Nigeria, Venezuela
              and Iraq looking unstable, people selling contracts to deliver oil in the
              future are demanding a hefty premium to cover the risk that the contract may
              mature in the middle of a shortage.

              So far, however, that premium does not seem to be translating into lower
              consumer demand. When oil spiked in the 1970s and early 1980s, consumers
              responded by using a lot less of it. This time, however, they seem blithely
              unconcerned. Economies have become a lot more fuel-efficient over the past
              20 years; as a result, spending on petroleum products is a smaller
              percentage of income. Governments have also begun taxing fuel more heavily,
              so that the price of crude makes up a much smaller fraction of the price
              consumers pay at the pump. And in Asia, where a lot of the demand growth is
              coming from, fuel prices are generally controlled by the state, so consumers
              aren’t feeling the pinch as much as they should. In 2004, international
              energy prices went up by 40%, but in oil-guzzling China they rose by only
              half that.

              For all of these reasons, the Goldman analysts reckon that prices need to
              go—and stay—higher still before demand begins to weaken. In real
              (inflation-adjusted) terms, oil reached its all-time high in 1980, of around
              $90 a barrel (see chart). Back then, OPEC saw revenues plummet as consumers
              cut back sharply. This time around, Goldman thinks that it might take prices
              of more than $100 per barrel to make consumers retrench.

              Demand-side economics

              These sorts of price levels are a big problem for oil-importing nations,
              particularly if they are sustained. Long bouts with high energy prices bring
              on stagflation, the combination of high inflation and low growth that erodes
              incomes and undercuts economic stability. With that in mind, the IEA has
              issued a draft report on how countries can build emergency programmes to
              deal with high oil prices.

              Some of the report’s ideas are worn-out. It proposes a rapid expansion of
              car-pool lanes, for instance, despite these having failed to get people
              sharing vehicles in America. However, in an interview with the Financial
              Times, Claude Mandil, the IEA’s executive director, suggested something that
              could make a difference: ending fuel subsidies. Asia is forecast to generate
              40% of the global increase in oil demand in 2005; letting the market's price
              signals get through to consumers would help demand align with supply before
              a crisis develops.

              Over the longer term, global capacity will need to expand. High prices
              should eventually attract companies looking for new oilfields to exploit. As
              oil majors such as Shell have been forced to restate downwards their
              estimated reserves of unpumped oil, the pressure to find new fields has
              grown further. This week, ChevronTexaco announced that it was buying Unocal
              for $16.4 billion, a move heralded largely for beefing up the American oil
              giant’s exploration and development business.

              But new capacity takes years to come onstream; in the meantime, the woes of
              the world’s oil consumers seem likely to grow. Surging oil prices could
              stall the fragile recoveries of many industrial nations, particularly Japan,
              which is a heavy oil importer. Europe is somewhat more insulated by its high
              fuel taxes, and by the euro: since oil is priced in dollars, the dollar’s
              depreciation against the euro has mitigated the damage. But with German and
              French economic growth still weak, rising fuel prices might yet be the straw
              that breaks the camel’s back.

              Perhaps the biggest worry of all is America, which is highly exposed to the
              price of oil, because of its low taxes, and because oil is priced in its
              currency. America has led the way out of the global slowdown. If oil prices
              hit hard, might it lead the way back into the next one?
            • Lunce
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2005
                "The End of Suburbia" is a very compelling documentary. It was shown at
                the Peak Oil Mini Conference this past weekend. Perhaps we can include
                it in a HREG event sometime in the near future. If you have not seen it
                yet, click here for clips of this documentary
                http://endofsuburbia.com/previews.htm

                Lunce
              • Nan Hildreth
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 11, 2005
                  Great idea, Lunce.  What about showing End of Suburbia at the Renewable Roundup in Fredericksburg?  I have copies to preview.

                  End of Suburbia will be shown again in Houston on September 14, Wednesday, 7pm at the Museum of Fine Arts with a Q&A after by Matthew Simmons.   www.realfilms.org/upcomingfilms.html#sept

                  Simmons is author of Twilight in the Desert which asserts that Saudi Arabian oil production may collapse soon due to overworking their aging fields and that Saudi reserves figures may be inflated.   Simmons is also CEO of the world's largest energy investment bank and a prominent Houston citizen.    He is interviewed in the film.

                  Nan Hildreth

                  At 03:09 PM 7/10/2005, Lunce wrote:
                  "The End of Suburbia" is a very compelling documentary.  It was shown at
                  the Peak Oil Mini Conference this past weekend.  Perhaps we can include
                  it in a HREG event sometime in the near future.  If you have not seen it
                  yet, click here for clips of this documentary
                  http://endofsuburbia.com/previews.htm

                  Lunce

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/