Re: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
      Not to overwhelm the audience with business but for informational purposes.

      Since you have a pump you need to match the solar panel to the voltage and
      amps required to power this pump. Most solar panels have a rating in amps
      that is the maximum or ideal rated power output. You need to be higher than
      this to power the pump in low light and morning/evening conditions by a
      factor of 30 to 50%.

      Since your pump is I assume 12 volts and .3 amps this is rather small. We
      have 10 watt panels in stock with peak power of .59 amps (almost double)
      that will do the trick. They have a 5 foot lead on them to allow you to
      plug directly into the pump and run direct. Cost is $89.00

      You may explore utilizing a controller and battery based system to allow you
      to pump anytime you want by having the solar panel charge a battery and then
      the pump run from that with a switch or even a photo switch that runs only
      during the day. This can be set-up for an additional $150 to $200 depending
      on how large a battery you want and how long you want to run. Weather proof
      enclosures for the battery can be built locally or we have them as well.

      One thing that we do is to build a small energy center that will power this
      pump and also power any other device that you want thereby being more
      versatile than simply a dedicated pump device.

      Here is a picture of the panel, it is a nice cobalt blue with bright cells
      on them in an interesting pattern. It can be mounted on a simple wood or
      aluminum pole and face 45 degrees towards the south.

      Contact me offline if interested.
      regards

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar & Wind Power
      "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
      www.harvest-energy.com
      Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
      Cell: 918-521-6223

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
        Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
        warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
        all the time or not.

        Bright Blessings,
        kim

        SBT Designs wrote:

        > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
        > Please let me know if we can be of service.
        >
        > Steven Shepard
        > SBT Designs
        > 25581 IH-10 West
        > San Antonio, Texas 78257
        > (210) 698-7109
        > www.sbtdesigns.com

      • SBT Designs
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
          Flow rate is 2GPM. Warranty on the pump is 3 years.
          Warranty on the module is ten years.

          Steven Shepard
          SBT Designs
          25581 IH-10 West
          San Antonio, Texas 78257
          (210) 698-7109
          www.sbtdesigns.com
          > Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
          > warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
          > all the time or not.
          >
          > Bright Blessings,
          > kim
          >
          > SBT Designs wrote:
          >
          >> We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for
          >> $250.00.
          >> Please let me know if we can be of service.
          >>
          >> Steven Shepard
          >> SBT Designs
          >> 25581 IH-10 West
          >> San Antonio, Texas 78257
          >> (210) 698-7109
          >> www.sbtdesigns.com

        • Richard D. Kelley
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
            I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.

            I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.

            I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.

            Just so you know.

            BB

            SBT Designs wrote:

            > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
            > Please let me know if we can be of service.
            >
            > Steven Shepard
            > SBT Designs
            > 25581 IH-10 West
            > San Antonio, Texas 78257
            > (210) 698-7109
            > www.sbtdesigns.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Richard D. Kelley
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
              I am seeking employment opportunities!

              Thank you,

              Richard D. Kelley, PMP
              Certified Project Manger
              Rdkelley@...
              (281) 933 - 3958

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005

                Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
                fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?

                Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
                to find them?

                I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
                so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
                down.

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

                Richard D. Kelley wrote:

                > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
                >
                > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
                >
                > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
                >

                > Just so you know.
                >
                > BB

              • Joseph
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
                  Hey Kim:

                  I just got back from the SEI solar electric class last week in Austin, and
                  we talked about the 'practicality' of solar electric applications. I had
                  assumed in reading your original post that grid power was too expensive,
                  which had led you to consider a solar alternative.

                  I think two problems make solar electric seem a bad choice.

                  1: You are literally buying all your electricity up front with a solar PV
                  panel, which is a hidden cost when you tie into grid power.

                  2: The cost of grid power today is about .10/kWh, which is very cheap.

                  Also, for your application, if install cost for the grid power is low, and
                  the long term life of the project is unknown, then it may indeed be the
                  best solution for now. If I had to pay an electrician to bring power to
                  my pond, I can easily see that costing in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

                  The advantages of solar electric for such an application would include:

                  1: If energy rates go up dramatically, it won't matter because the panel
                  is already paid for.

                  2: If install costs are somewhat higher, needing conduit, tying into a
                  circuit panel, etc. The costs could easily exceed a solar panel. The
                  same benefit of off-grid water pumping applications.

                  3: Safety, 12VDC won't be much of a hazard 5 years down the road if the
                  wires fray or short, 120VAC will be dangerous.

                  4: Renewable advertising: people seeing a PV powered project are excited
                  by the idea, and it helps put the idea of renewable energy in their minds.
                  The current high panel costs and low energy rates make solar PV more of
                  a niche market strictly from a cost recovery POV, but even so, the fact some
                  applications are already cost effective with the most expensive renewable
                  technology out there is impressive. Couple that with proven cost effective
                  renewable technologies like solar thermal, and maybe you can change a few
                  minds!

                  As far as driving the costs down, I'm hoping if more and more people buy
                  solar PV for the cost effective applications like DC water pumping,
                  off-grid power, and even small fountain applications where install cost
                  of grid-power makes the PV install reasonable, then a larger production
                  base of PV panels will be established, which ultimately should bring their
                  cost down. So we need those rebate programs to keep small installs going
                  on all the time, keep the demand for panels high, so industry to make them
                  will expand and drive the supply side up.

                  I know we all know this, but it's important to realize that unlike some
                  other industries, renewables has an enemy. The non-renewable energy suppliers
                  want renewables to fail, or they want to control renewables themselves to
                  keep the money stream in their favor. But sunshine falls on the greedy and
                  the needy alike, and transmission of power works against the large scale
                  distributor in this case.

                  That's one thing I really like about solar, it favors small local business
                  over large regional ones. It brings the business end closer to the community
                  and thus inherently more socially responsible for the local community's
                  interests, both environmental and economic.

                  Well, enough from me for now.

                  Good luck with that fountain however you implement it!

                  Best wishes - Joseph Davis

                  On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                  > Greetings,
                  >
                  > Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
                  > fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?
                  >
                  > Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
                  > to find them?
                  >
                  > I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
                  > so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
                  > down.
                  >
                  > Bright Blessings,
                  > Kim
                  >
                  > Richard D. Kelley wrote:
                  >
                  > > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
                  > >
                  > > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
                  > >
                  > > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
                  > >

                  > > Just so you know.
                  > >
                  > > BB
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Kim & Garth Travis
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005

                    Actually, the options are not as black and white as grid vs solar, at least
                    not for me. Over the next few years I will be installing a few small
                    windmills for pumping water and generating some electric. We are
                    installing a diesel generator for major electric, but which will not run
                    all the time, just when needed and will operate on waste veggie oil. We
                    will have some small solar systems, for individual projects and so on,
                    depending on what it the most cost effective system we can figure out for
                    each problem.

                    The grid will be gone, but that doesn't mean I need to go to DC power for
                    everything. Or one main system for the whole place.

                    I do believe we will go with solar for the fountain, but with a much
                    cheaper system that anything the pros have recommended. I have scrounged a
                    gel cell battery and a 300 watt inverter so with the proper circuitry, I
                    can go solar for well under $50. The fountain will only operate in the
                    later day and early evening, but I did state in the original message that I
                    didn't care if it ran all the time. I can buy a 5 watt solar battery
                    charger for $29.99 from Harbor Freight. With a few relays and sensors I
                    can make the system function only when there is enough power in the battery.

                    There does seem to be a certain number of small inverters begging for homes
                    out there as people upgrade to larger ones. I will definitely be taking
                    all I can find.

                    So far as I have been able to tell, the biggest enemy that renewables has
                    is the building codes, neighborhood deed restrictions and big dollar
                    people. Solar is cheap with a real quick pay back on hot water and solar
                    clothes dryers, two of the things that it is hard to do with the local
                    gestapo overly watchful about how things look. If we could implement a
                    wider usage of just these two, think of the energy saved, especially here
                    in Texas.

                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                  • SBT Designs
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
                      I could use some help over here in San Antonio.
                      What can you do?

                      Steven Shepard
                      SBT Designs
                      25581 IH-10 West
                      San Antonio, Texas 78257
                      (210) 698-7109
                      www.sbtdesigns.com

                      > << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
                      > Kim,
                      >
                      > We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping
                      >

                      > Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.
                      >
                      > * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
                      > * Stainless steel pump housing
                      > * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
                      > 12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller
                      > driven;
                      > Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.
                      >

                      > Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks
                      >
                      > Larry Weber
                      >
                      > Naturallighting.com
                      >

                      > On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Greetings,
                      >>
                      >> Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
                      >> wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
                      >> fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
                      >>
                      >> Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
                      >> Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
                      >>
                      >> Bright Blessings,
                      >> Kim
                      >>

                      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >>

                      > Naturallighting.com
                      > 1939 Richvale
                      > Houston, Texas 77062
                      >
                      > Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
                      > FAX 281.488.0823
                      >
                      > email: larry@...
                      > http://www.naturallighting.com
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Andrew McCalla
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 18, 2005
                        For those of you endeavoring to do things with Bilge Pumps, you might find
                        this review/shoot-out helpful:

                        http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

                        Andrew H. McCalla
                        Meridian Energy Systems