Re: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama

  • Naturallighting.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
      Re: [hreg] solar fountains and The Dali Lama
      Kim,

      We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump  $175.00 plus shipping

      Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.

      *    240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
      *    Stainless steel pump housing
      *    Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
      12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller driven; Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.

      Let me know if interested.  Lead time 2-3 wks

      Larry Weber

      Naturallighting.com

      On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
      > wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
      > fountain.  I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
      >
      > Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
      > Sept. 22.  Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim

      > Help save the life of a child.  Support St. Jude Children's Research
      > Hospital's
      > 'Thanks & Giving.'
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/mGEjbB/5WnJAA/E2hLAA/xbTolB/TM

      >     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Naturallighting.com
      1939 Richvale
      Houston, Texas  77062

      Toll Free  1.888.900.6830
      FAX        281.488.0823

      email:  larry@...
      http://www.naturallighting.com

    • John Miggins
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
        Not to overwhelm the audience with business but for informational purposes.

        Since you have a pump you need to match the solar panel to the voltage and
        amps required to power this pump. Most solar panels have a rating in amps
        that is the maximum or ideal rated power output. You need to be higher than
        this to power the pump in low light and morning/evening conditions by a
        factor of 30 to 50%.

        Since your pump is I assume 12 volts and .3 amps this is rather small. We
        have 10 watt panels in stock with peak power of .59 amps (almost double)
        that will do the trick. They have a 5 foot lead on them to allow you to
        plug directly into the pump and run direct. Cost is $89.00

        You may explore utilizing a controller and battery based system to allow you
        to pump anytime you want by having the solar panel charge a battery and then
        the pump run from that with a switch or even a photo switch that runs only
        during the day. This can be set-up for an additional $150 to $200 depending
        on how large a battery you want and how long you want to run. Weather proof
        enclosures for the battery can be built locally or we have them as well.

        One thing that we do is to build a small energy center that will power this
        pump and also power any other device that you want thereby being more
        versatile than simply a dedicated pump device.

        Here is a picture of the panel, it is a nice cobalt blue with bright cells
        on them in an interesting pattern. It can be mounted on a simple wood or
        aluminum pole and face 45 degrees towards the south.

        Contact me offline if interested.
        regards

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        Cell: 918-521-6223

        > Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
        > wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
        > fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
        >
        > Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
        > Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
        >
        > Bright Blessings,
        > Kim
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
          Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
          warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
          all the time or not.

          Bright Blessings,
          kim

          SBT Designs wrote:

          > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
          > Please let me know if we can be of service.
          >
          > Steven Shepard
          > SBT Designs
          > 25581 IH-10 West
          > San Antonio, Texas 78257
          > (210) 698-7109
          > www.sbtdesigns.com

        • SBT Designs
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 11, 2005
            Flow rate is 2GPM. Warranty on the pump is 3 years.
            Warranty on the module is ten years.

            Steven Shepard
            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257
            (210) 698-7109
            www.sbtdesigns.com
            > Is this complete? How many gallons per hour is it? What kind of
            > warranty, etc.? Do you have anything cheaper? I don't care if it runs
            > all the time or not.
            >
            > Bright Blessings,
            > kim
            >
            > SBT Designs wrote:
            >
            >> We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for
            >> $250.00.
            >> Please let me know if we can be of service.
            >>
            >> Steven Shepard
            >> SBT Designs
            >> 25581 IH-10 West
            >> San Antonio, Texas 78257
            >> (210) 698-7109
            >> www.sbtdesigns.com

          • Richard D. Kelley
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
              I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.

              I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.

              I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.

              Just so you know.

              BB

              SBT Designs wrote:

              > We sell a small four foot lifet pump with ten Watt solar module for $250.00.
              > Please let me know if we can be of service.
              >
              > Steven Shepard
              > SBT Designs
              > 25581 IH-10 West
              > San Antonio, Texas 78257
              > (210) 698-7109
              > www.sbtdesigns.com

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Richard D. Kelley
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 12, 2005
                I am seeking employment opportunities!

                Thank you,

                Richard D. Kelley, PMP
                Certified Project Manger
                Rdkelley@...
                (281) 933 - 3958

                << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005

                  Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
                  fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?

                  Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
                  to find them?

                  I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
                  so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
                  down.

                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim

                  Richard D. Kelley wrote:

                  > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
                  >
                  > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
                  >
                  > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
                  >

                  > Just so you know.
                  >
                  > BB

                • Joseph
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 13, 2005
                    Hey Kim:

                    I just got back from the SEI solar electric class last week in Austin, and
                    we talked about the 'practicality' of solar electric applications. I had
                    assumed in reading your original post that grid power was too expensive,
                    which had led you to consider a solar alternative.

                    I think two problems make solar electric seem a bad choice.

                    1: You are literally buying all your electricity up front with a solar PV
                    panel, which is a hidden cost when you tie into grid power.

                    2: The cost of grid power today is about .10/kWh, which is very cheap.

                    Also, for your application, if install cost for the grid power is low, and
                    the long term life of the project is unknown, then it may indeed be the
                    best solution for now. If I had to pay an electrician to bring power to
                    my pond, I can easily see that costing in the 200 to 300 dollar range.

                    The advantages of solar electric for such an application would include:

                    1: If energy rates go up dramatically, it won't matter because the panel
                    is already paid for.

                    2: If install costs are somewhat higher, needing conduit, tying into a
                    circuit panel, etc. The costs could easily exceed a solar panel. The
                    same benefit of off-grid water pumping applications.

                    3: Safety, 12VDC won't be much of a hazard 5 years down the road if the
                    wires fray or short, 120VAC will be dangerous.

                    4: Renewable advertising: people seeing a PV powered project are excited
                    by the idea, and it helps put the idea of renewable energy in their minds.
                    The current high panel costs and low energy rates make solar PV more of
                    a niche market strictly from a cost recovery POV, but even so, the fact some
                    applications are already cost effective with the most expensive renewable
                    technology out there is impressive. Couple that with proven cost effective
                    renewable technologies like solar thermal, and maybe you can change a few
                    minds!

                    As far as driving the costs down, I'm hoping if more and more people buy
                    solar PV for the cost effective applications like DC water pumping,
                    off-grid power, and even small fountain applications where install cost
                    of grid-power makes the PV install reasonable, then a larger production
                    base of PV panels will be established, which ultimately should bring their
                    cost down. So we need those rebate programs to keep small installs going
                    on all the time, keep the demand for panels high, so industry to make them
                    will expand and drive the supply side up.

                    I know we all know this, but it's important to realize that unlike some
                    other industries, renewables has an enemy. The non-renewable energy suppliers
                    want renewables to fail, or they want to control renewables themselves to
                    keep the money stream in their favor. But sunshine falls on the greedy and
                    the needy alike, and transmission of power works against the large scale
                    distributor in this case.

                    That's one thing I really like about solar, it favors small local business
                    over large regional ones. It brings the business end closer to the community
                    and thus inherently more socially responsible for the local community's
                    interests, both environmental and economic.

                    Well, enough from me for now.

                    Good luck with that fountain however you implement it!

                    Best wishes - Joseph Davis

                    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                    > Greetings,
                    >
                    > Ah, finally. Since I can run the grid power for $30 and a standard
                    > fountain pump is all of $10, why would anyone pay over $250 to go solar?
                    >
                    > Could you please send more information on what a bilge pump is and where
                    > to find them?
                    >
                    > I don't beleive that renewables will ever become accepted when they are
                    > so outrageously expensive. We need creative thinkers to drive the costs
                    > down.
                    >
                    > Bright Blessings,
                    > Kim
                    >
                    > Richard D. Kelley wrote:
                    >
                    > > I used a bilge pump last summer (about 15 - $26). It worked fine (10watt panel) about 2 feet lift. I expect the SBT pump is much better.
                    > >
                    > > I also used these to pump the yard when we had backyard flooding.
                    > >
                    > > I am not working so I mess around with the very low dollar deal.
                    > >

                    > > Just so you know.
                    > >
                    > > BB
                    > >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Kim & Garth Travis
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005

                      Actually, the options are not as black and white as grid vs solar, at least
                      not for me. Over the next few years I will be installing a few small
                      windmills for pumping water and generating some electric. We are
                      installing a diesel generator for major electric, but which will not run
                      all the time, just when needed and will operate on waste veggie oil. We
                      will have some small solar systems, for individual projects and so on,
                      depending on what it the most cost effective system we can figure out for
                      each problem.

                      The grid will be gone, but that doesn't mean I need to go to DC power for
                      everything. Or one main system for the whole place.

                      I do believe we will go with solar for the fountain, but with a much
                      cheaper system that anything the pros have recommended. I have scrounged a
                      gel cell battery and a 300 watt inverter so with the proper circuitry, I
                      can go solar for well under $50. The fountain will only operate in the
                      later day and early evening, but I did state in the original message that I
                      didn't care if it ran all the time. I can buy a 5 watt solar battery
                      charger for $29.99 from Harbor Freight. With a few relays and sensors I
                      can make the system function only when there is enough power in the battery.

                      There does seem to be a certain number of small inverters begging for homes
                      out there as people upgrade to larger ones. I will definitely be taking
                      all I can find.

                      So far as I have been able to tell, the biggest enemy that renewables has
                      is the building codes, neighborhood deed restrictions and big dollar
                      people. Solar is cheap with a real quick pay back on hot water and solar
                      clothes dryers, two of the things that it is hard to do with the local
                      gestapo overly watchful about how things look. If we could implement a
                      wider usage of just these two, think of the energy saved, especially here
                      in Texas.

                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim

                    • SBT Designs
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 14, 2005
                        I could use some help over here in San Antonio.
                        What can you do?

                        Steven Shepard
                        SBT Designs
                        25581 IH-10 West
                        San Antonio, Texas 78257
                        (210) 698-7109
                        www.sbtdesigns.com

                        > << File: ATT00027.htm >> << File: image.jpg >>
                        > Kim,
                        >
                        > We have a Stainless steel 12 volt pump $175.00 plus shipping
                        >

                        > Compact self-priming pump includes mounting bracket.
                        >
                        > * 240 gallons per hour, 23 ft. total lift
                        > * Stainless steel pump housing
                        > * Dual threaded inlet: 3/8''-18NPT female and 3/4''male
                        > 12V DC, 65Watt, Amps: 7.5 start, 5 continuous; 10 PSI max; Impeller
                        > driven;
                        > Overall dimensions: 5-3/4''L x 2-1/2'' diameter; Weight:3.7lbs.
                        >

                        > Let me know if interested. Lead time 2-3 wks
                        >
                        > Larry Weber
                        >
                        > Naturallighting.com
                        >

                        > On 4/10/05 4:14 PM, "Kim & Garth Travis" <gartht@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Greetings,
                        >>
                        >> Since we have so many people in the solar industry on this list, I was
                        >> wondering what you would recomend and at what price for a small
                        >> fountain. I have a small pump that does 190 gal/hour and uses 0.3 Amps.
                        >>
                        >> Also, I know the Dali Lama is scheduled to speak at Rice University on
                        >> Sept. 22. Does anyone know how to get tickets for this event?
                        >>
                        >> Bright Blessings,
                        >> Kim
                        >>

                        >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >>

                        > Naturallighting.com
                        > 1939 Richvale
                        > Houston, Texas 77062
                        >
                        > Toll Free 1.888.900.6830
                        > FAX 281.488.0823
                        >
                        > email: larry@...
                        > http://www.naturallighting.com
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Andrew McCalla
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 18, 2005
                          For those of you endeavoring to do things with Bilge Pumps, you might find
                          this review/shoot-out helpful:

                          http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/bilge.html

                          Andrew H. McCalla
                          Meridian Energy Systems