RE: [hreg] Home Insulation

  • Andrew McCalla
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005

      J.P.,

      See here for a good resource:

      http://www.greenbuilder.com/sourcebook/Insulation.html

      Andrew H. McCalla

      Meridian Energy Systems

      2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

      Austin, TX   78704

      Voice: (512) 448-0055

      Fax:    (512) 448-0045

      www.meridiansolar.com

      From: J. P. Malone [mailto:JPMALONE@...]
      Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 8:06 AM
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Home Insulation

      I am looking for suggestions to improve the insulation on my home’s South wall.

      I removed some rotted boards and found that the rock-wool insulation had all settled to the bottom 18 inches of the wall.

      I plan to remove all of the boards, re-insulated, and then put on Hardi-board.

      The wall studs are only 4 inch.  Therefore batt fiberglass will only give me a R-13.

      What alternatives are there that will help me raise the R-value to a minimum of R-19, hopefully more.

      Cost is a major constraint.

      Thanks for any & all suggestions.

      J. Patrick Malone

    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
        Patrick, if you are not on the fast track to finish the project, you might consider being in Dallas on April 19 for the NTREG monthly general meeting.
        Gary Olp of GGO Architects will be the guest speaker that evening and he would be a perfect source for answers to exactly that type of question. Best of all, you won't have to wait until the Roundup in September and hope he will be speaking there.
        It will be posted on the 'Coming Events' list of the Texas Solar Energy Society www site. The text of the message is included at the bottom of this message.
        Hope to see you there...
        Jim Duncan
        North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.
        ntrei@...
        817.917.0527

        I am looking for suggestions to improve the insulation on my home’s South wall.

        I removed some rotted boards and found that the rock-wool insulation had all settled to the bottom 18 inches of the wall.

        I plan to remove all of the boards, re-insulated, and then put on Hardi-board.

        The wall studs are only 4 inch.  Therefore batt fiberglass will only give me a R-13.

        What alternatives are there that will help me raise the R-value to a minimum of R-19, hopefully more.

        Cost is a major constraint.

        Thanks for any & all suggestions.

        J. Patrick Malone

        North Texas Renewable Energy Group
        April General meeting
        April 19, 2005
        6:30 PM
        at the
        Reading & Radio Resource
        2007 Randall
        Dallas, Texas 75201

        This months Guest Speaker will be Gary Olp, Director of GGOArchitects in Dallas.
        His firm is a general Architectural practice with experience ranging from historic preservation and restoration to regional shopping mall expansions. Restaurants, industrial, corporate, public and commercial structures, as well as private residences round out his experience.
        He established the practice twelve years ago in an effort to effect a fundamental change in the application of Architecture. The design process he employs is now referred to as "sustainable design" or "green building".
        His projects are often typified by the use of additional insulation, energy efficiency, passive solar techniques, natural day lighting, enhanced fresh air ventilation, less dependency on mechanical systems and so on.
        Mr Olp is an active member of numerous civic, social and community organizations, has published numerous articles, and lectures regularly on the topics of Sustainable Architecture, Healthy Environments and Indoor Air Quality. He has spoken several times at the Renewable Energy Roundup in Fredericksburg.
        We invite you to spend an evening with this well known and renowned designer and Architect. You'll be glad you did.

        The North Texas Renewable Energy Group is the local chapter of the Texas Solar Energy Society. TxSES is a non-profit group open to anyone with an interest in renewable energy. It is dedicated to increasing awareness of the uses and benefits of solar and other renewable energy sources.
      • Naturallighting.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
          Re: [hreg] Home Insulation   -DIY spray in

                                  check out DIY  spray in  http://www.fomofoam.com/one/
                                  is closed cell product.  Superior to open cell products which can absorb water.

                                  larry Weber

                              Naturallighting.com

                              Houston, Texas  77062

                              Toll Free  1.888.900.6830
                                  FAX        281.488.0823

                              email:  larry@...
                              http://www.naturallighting.com

          On 4/8/05 8:05 AM, "J. P. Malone" <JPMALONE@...> wrote:

          I am looking for suggestions to improve the insulation on my home’s South wall.

          I removed some rotted boards and found that the rock-wool insulation had all settled to the bottom 18 inches of the wall.
          I plan to remove all of the boards, re-insulated, and then put on Hardi-board.

          The wall studs are only 4 inch.  Therefore batt fiberglass will only give me a R-13.

          What alternatives are there that will help me raise the R-value to a minimum of R-19, hopefully more.
          Cost is a major constraint.

          Thanks for any & all suggestions.

          J. Patrick Malone

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Naturallighting.com
          1939 Richvale
          Houston, Texas  77062

          Toll Free  1.888.900.6830
          FAX        281.488.0823

          email:  larry@...
          http://www.naturallighting.com

        • SBT Designs
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
            I am receiving inquiries from the DFW area for renewable products and service.  While we can certainly provide products remotely I would never try to provide service to DFW.  It is too far away and much too dense an urban area once you get there.

            I have made this offer before to my fellow vendors and so far they have pretty much been too fearful and thick necked to agree or participate.  My offer is I will barter or exchange customer leads.  Besides potential economic benefits I am interested in seeing customers get served and that our industry continue to progress in this state.  Frankly I think we vendors could potentially be more productive at that than TREIA or TXSES ever has been

            In any case, I have leads in DFW that I am willing to barter or exchange.  Please let me know if there are any vendors in the DFW area interested.

            Steven Shepard
            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257