Solar Orhpanage Project moving along

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2005
      The HREG project to donate a solar power system and refrigerator to St.
      Anne's Children's Home (orphanage) in Kisumu, Kenya is drawing closer to
      accomplishment. We have still only collected about $1500 out of the
      required $3000, but Cherish Our Children's director has agreed to ask
      their board of directors to make up the difference at their next board
      meeting at the end of April.

      Due to the fund situation, we almost dropped the refrigerator from the
      plan, but then we got this message from a US nutritionist who went to
      Kenya in support of COCI:
      "Dr. Omato is in charge of the distribution of Anit-retroviral drugs for
      children in the area, so we have been linked to the right person. All
      children will be tested for HIV at no cost and we can expect that 30-50%
      will test positive. Dr. Omato will then triage the children into
      follow-up care every 2-4 weeks. The ARV drugs will be of no cost to the
      children however they will need to be stored in a refrigerator. Joyce
      can be trained to dispense the drugs to the children each day. Dr.
      Omato has the vision that CFO-COCI could become a pediatric HIV-AIDS
      clinic for the area with a voluntary testing component with education
      linked to it."

      The attached quote from a reputable solar company in Kenya shows the
      final proposed solar energy system which would provide refrigeration and
      light for the home. It could be expanded in the future, but should be
      of great use to them as soon as they get it.

      It would still be great if HREG members can donate the whole system, so
      this is one final request for anyone who would like to contribute to
      this project to send their donation marked 'HREG Solar Orphanage' to:
      Cherish Our Children International
      P.O. Box 540007, Houston, TX 77254
      http://www.cherishourchildren.org/default.htm

      Thank you for your generosity and your passion to solarize the world!

      Mike