Energy Insanity

  • Randy Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1 6:58 AM
      http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/033105EC.shtml
      Energy Insanity
      By Molly Ivins
      AlterNet

      Tuesday 29 March 2005.

      Next year, the administration will phase out the $2,000 tax credit
      for buying a hybrid vehicle, which gets over 50 miles per gallon, but
      will leave in place the $25,000 tax write-off for a Hummer, which
      gets 10-12 mpg. That's truly crazy, and that's truly what the whole
      Cheney energy policy is.

      According to the Energy Information Administration in the
      Department of Energy, last year's energy bill (same as this one)
      would cost taxpayers at least $31 billion, do nothing about the
      projected over-80 percent increase in America's imports of foreign
      oil by 2025, and increase gasoline prices. (Since every bureaucrat
      who tells the truth in this administration - about the cost of the
      drug bill or the safety of Vioxx - seems to get the ax, I'm probably
      getting those folks in trouble.)

      The bill is loaded with corporate giveaways and tax breaks for
      big oil. Meanwhile, Bush's budget cuts funding for renewable energy
      research and programs, and anyone who tells you different is lying.

      http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/033105EC.shtml
    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1 9:59 AM
        Molly Ivins has been my hero, along with Jim Hightower, for years. She is a huge advocate for renewable energy and environmental issues. It was a real boost to our cause when she left the FW Star Telegram and became nationally syndicated. Fort Worths loss was the nations gain.
        Jim Duncan