Electric vs Gasoline Economics

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2005
      It is cheaper to run a car from electricity than from gasoline!
      About 1.4 times cheaper with a gasoline price of $2/gal and electricity cost of $0.15/kWh.
      In other words, if you are paying $100 per month for gasoline, you could reduce that cost to $71 per month by plugging your car into the wall at night.

      For those who doubt, here's the math:
      This assumes 18% tank to wheel efficiency for the gasoline vehicle, and 65% wall outlet to wheel efficiency for the electric vehicle; assumed 115,000 Btu/gal of gasoline.
      Gasoline ($2/gal) / (115,000 Btu/gal) * (3415 Btu/kWh) / (0.18) = $0.33/ kWh at wheel
      Electric ($0.15/kWhr at wall) / (0.65) = $0.23/ kWh at wheel

      Now, here's the challenge: an electric vehicle doesn't have the range.  In order to get decent range you need many heavy lead acid batteries.  If the vehicle is heavier, then it will require more kWh's at the wheel.  Then, the costs may even out.

      I'm slowly making progress on my electric vehicle.  I have the rough frame put together and I took a test drive up and down the street with a single 12V battery last month.  I can't wait to get it going on the full 60V pack so I can compare actual numbers.  I'll bring pictures at the next (April 24th) HREG meeting.