Comfort vs environment

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12 7:14 PM
      One more thing to take into account when building. What degree of
      discomfort are you willing to put up with? As Mike mentioned, only the
      electronic fluorescence lights are instant on. I use the couple of
      seconds that some of my light need to remind myself that I saved some
      money and I am being good to the environment.

      On the other hand, I can't stand the central AC/heat units that most
      people in Texas have. Hot air rises, and having it come in at the
      ceiling means cold feet and ankles in the winter. This led us to look
      at alternatives and so we decided to go to a hydronic system for heating
      and cooling. The cooling part is easy for us, since we only cool to
      about 78 anyway. We both work outside all day and anything cooler is
      too cold. A common attitude in the country, but not in the city.

      The point I am trying to make, is for you to think about what is your
      personal definition of comfort. Is it a towel heater in the bathroom?
      Lots of stuff like that, then look at what systems there are that will
      give you what you need. The alternatives to be researched, even with
      the help of professionals, could take a few years otherwise.