Re: [hreg] Solar Attic Fans OPPS

  • Environment Associates Architects
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
      Hi Steven:

      UhOh.  I see that there is a misunderstanding about what I said in my email.  Where you got that I said or even implied that a return on investment did not exist for solar power is beyond me.

      I stand behind everything I said.  All I am asking for is proof verifying what is being claimed.  Actual studies that verify that solar powered attic fans work better and are a better investment than passive solar ventilation systems like continuous ridge vents with balanced soffit venting.  As I stated in my email, provide the proof and I will be an advocate of the technology.  So far I haven't seen or heard any proof, just what seems like sales talk and literature by manufacturers and resellers that sounds convincing on the surface.  I know the PV cells will outlast the life of a composition shingle roof, but what about the fan?  How long will the fans actually last in an environment having elevated temperatures?  Can replacement fans be easily purchased?  What is the cost to remove and replace the fans?

      I am sure there are lots of applications where solar attic fans may be a good solution.  One of these may be where it may not be cost effective to install continuous ridge vents is on a ten year old composition shingle roof, because the ridge vents will have to be ripped off in 5 years or so (Houston climate conditions) and replaced because the roof will need to be replaced.  Another application may be very complicated roof shapes.

      Everything has its application.  As an advocate for solar energy applications since the 70's (along with being a founding member of TXSES & TREIA, I was one of the founders of another non-profit solar energy society that predated both TXSES & TREIA), I want to see solar power shine as much as anyone else does.  But I need verification of the claims that are being made.  I think it is best for the long term interest of Complimentary Energy Systems.  (UhOh, I'm sure to get comments on this!!!!!)

      Here are a couple of web sites that may be of interest to those following this discourse:

      http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/  This is the kind of documentation I like.....an actual study on the viability of PV powered attic ventilators.  By the way, FSEC also advocates white roofs that may work well in Florida but most will mildew here (Houston) (It's that grayish black stuff that covers composition shingle roofs of all colors here, but shows up most on those that are the lighter colored.  If you can find composition shingle roofing having lots of zinc granules, the leaching out of the zinc will kill mold spores before they can grow like below most vent pipes and turbine ventilators where they poke through composition shingle roofs here.  Manufacturers' make such roofs, but in the past no one was willing to order a box car load (minimum order) of them to sell in Houston.)

      LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
      architect & building ecologist
      LaVerne@...
      ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
      5828 Langfield Road
      Houston, TX 77092-1429
      713.528.0000
      866.815.2527 toll free
      www.environmentassoc.com
      30 Years of Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture
      Design Counseling / Consulting / Architectural Design / Construction Documents / Construction Administration Services

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
        Paul:

        I have put my comments where they are within the body of John Miggins text
        in HTML and in paranthesis so they will stand apart from the rest.

        Hope this helps. I wasn't aware of your situation.

        LaVerne

        Opps. Please see my correction/comments below in ALL CAPS to my original
        email.
        LaVerne

[...]

        ---

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Andrew McCalla
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 14, 2004

          Well folks,

          Consider this a submission of a third party’s results.

          In brief, it would seem that while pv vent fans can lower attic air temperatures, there are better ways to achieve the effects of this reduction, some of which would also have positive winter-time ramifications.

          http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/index.htm

          Another report which touches on this matter (although dealing specifically with AC powered vent fans, does address attic cooling in general):

          http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Pubs/EnergyNotes/en-13.htm#attic

          Andrew H. McCalla

          Meridian Energy Systems

          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

          Austin, TX   78704

          Voice: (512) 448-0055

          Fax:    (512) 448-0045

          www.meridiansolar.com

        • Andrew McCalla
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2004

            Oops,

            Sorry folks.  I didn’t read down far enough to realize that LaVerne had already done the research…………..

            http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/  This is the kind of documentation I like.....

            http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildings/knowledge_library/ventilation/solar_powered_attic_ventilation.html

            Sorry about the repetition.

            Andrew H. McCalla