Energy Program Modeling - energyplus simulation solftware

  • Naturallighting.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
      Energy Program Modeling - energyplus simulation solftware

      Free building energy simulation program, modeling, heating, cooling,lighting, ventilation, etc.

      http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/energyplus/

      Larry Weber

      Naturallighting.com
      1939 Richvale
      Houston, Texas  77062

      Toll Free  1.888.900.6830
      FAX        281.488.0823

      email:  larry@...
      http://www.naturallighting.com

    • David Power
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
        The attic doesn't get extremely hot but I would like to keep as close to ambient as possible. The roof was built with cool ply (radiant barrier) but I wasn't able to find a roofer that would put the roofing membrane that I wanted to use on and warranty the roof. I ended up with one layer of 15# felt and two layers of 30# on top of that with ice and water guard installed in the valley's and on the perimeter. This is not a breathable surface so I want to make sure that the roof stays well ventilated. I have a 2" soffit vent around the perimeter and low profile roof vents scattered around the roof. I had an additional 8 vents installed last summer but still can feel a noticeable difference in the afternoon during the summer heat. The radiant barrier reflects the heat back into the roof surface under the tile so I want to make sure that everything stays nice and cool.

        David

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
          Hi Steven:

          UhOh.  I see that there is a misunderstanding about what I said in my email.  Where you got that I said or even implied that a return on investment did not exist for solar power is beyond me.

          I stand behind everything I said.  All I am asking for is proof verifying what is being claimed.  Actual studies that verify that solar powered attic fans work better and are a better investment than passive solar ventilation systems like continuous ridge vents with balanced soffit venting.  As I stated in my email, provide the proof and I will be an advocate of the technology.  So far I haven't seen or heard any proof, just what seems like sales talk and literature by manufacturers and resellers that sounds convincing on the surface.  I know the PV cells will outlast the life of a composition shingle roof, but what about the fan?  How long will the fans actually last in an environment having elevated temperatures?  Can replacement fans be easily purchased?  What is the cost to remove and replace the fans?

          I am sure there are lots of applications where solar attic fans may be a good solution.  One of these may be where it may not be cost effective to install continuous ridge vents is on a ten year old composition shingle roof, because the ridge vents will have to be ripped off in 5 years or so (Houston climate conditions) and replaced because the roof will need to be replaced.  Another application may be very complicated roof shapes.

          Everything has its application.  As an advocate for solar energy applications since the 70's (along with being a founding member of TXSES & TREIA, I was one of the founders of another non-profit solar energy society that predated both TXSES & TREIA), I want to see solar power shine as much as anyone else does.  But I need verification of the claims that are being made.  I think it is best for the long term interest of Complimentary Energy Systems.  (UhOh, I'm sure to get comments on this!!!!!)

          Here are a couple of web sites that may be of interest to those following this discourse:

          http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/  This is the kind of documentation I like.....an actual study on the viability of PV powered attic ventilators.  By the way, FSEC also advocates white roofs that may work well in Florida but most will mildew here (Houston) (It's that grayish black stuff that covers composition shingle roofs of all colors here, but shows up most on those that are the lighter colored.  If you can find composition shingle roofing having lots of zinc granules, the leaching out of the zinc will kill mold spores before they can grow like below most vent pipes and turbine ventilators where they poke through composition shingle roofs here.  Manufacturers' make such roofs, but in the past no one was willing to order a box car load (minimum order) of them to sell in Houston.)

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 13, 2004
            Paul:

            I have put my comments where they are within the body of John Miggins text
            in HTML and in paranthesis so they will stand apart from the rest.

            Hope this helps. I wasn't aware of your situation.

            LaVerne

            Opps. Please see my correction/comments below in ALL CAPS to my original
            email.
            LaVerne

[...]

            ---

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 14, 2004

              Well folks,

              Consider this a submission of a third party’s results.

              In brief, it would seem that while pv vent fans can lower attic air temperatures, there are better ways to achieve the effects of this reduction, some of which would also have positive winter-time ramifications.

              http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/index.htm

              Another report which touches on this matter (although dealing specifically with AC powered vent fans, does address attic cooling in general):

              http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/Pubs/EnergyNotes/en-13.htm#attic

              Andrew H. McCalla

              Meridian Energy Systems

              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

              Austin, TX   78704

              Voice: (512) 448-0055

              Fax:    (512) 448-0045

              www.meridiansolar.com

            • Andrew McCalla
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 15, 2004

                Oops,

                Sorry folks.  I didn’t read down far enough to realize that LaVerne had already done the research…………..

                http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/bldg/pubs/pvfan/  This is the kind of documentation I like.....

                http://www.advancedenergy.org/buildings/knowledge_library/ventilation/solar_powered_attic_ventilation.html

                Sorry about the repetition.

                Andrew H. McCalla