RE: [hreg] Solar Attic Fans

  • Mike Schmitt
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 13, 2004
      The double pane widows I have are the Aluminum frames and have the
      condensation in the middle.

      At my old house we replace 2 windows plus one standard size. The 2 large
      windows were 4x9 they were the largest that they could make of the vinyl
      type. You could tell a difference after they were in... a lot cooler. they
      had foam filled vinyl. They were expensive 1200 a piece installed (Window
      Guys) would I use them again? **probably not**. We tried to order some more
      windows and the different sales guy tried to stick it to me. I watched the
      installer put them in..its not hard at all. On this house im going install
      them myself. I think I can get the same quality by ordering them through
      Home depot or Lowes. But I can say from experience that the new windows made
      a heck of a difference..I will definitely change out the windows here.

      One thing that has stuck with me for a while...I was watching a show on
      older architecture and they talk about how the older designs with the big
      porches worked well because they blocked the sunlight BEFORE it made it into
      the house. I was thinking about maybe using some awnings or other structures
      to block the sun from hitting the west side of the house. The majority of
      the house has windows on the west side and these windows are located on the
      sunny side and not the shaded side of the west end. I know for a fact how
      much heat builds up here when I spent the summer staining the house..I got
      fried pretty well.

      Mike

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 14, 2004

        Is radiant barrier paint (see link below) more cost-effective than other radiant barriers or solar attic fans.

        http://www.hytechsales.com/prod85.html

        J. Patrick Malone

        ---

      • Gary Beck
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 14, 2004

          It sounds like snake oil but I have an experienced remodeling contractor / brother who has applied it and swears by it.

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2004
            the Paint works fine (practical experiance with it), but as far as 'more
            cost-effective than other radiant barriers', that could be debated forever.

            In a remodel situation, maby, in new construction, maby not, depends mostly
            on installation labor.

            At 02:54 PM 12/14/2004 -0600, you wrote:
            > It sounds like snake oil but I have an experienced remodeling
            >contractor / brother who has applied it and swears by it.

          • Mike Schmitt
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 15, 2004

                Gary ,

              What kind of sprayer did they use to to get the paint p into the corners.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 16, 2004
                You can buy the E-Barrier paint at Sherwin Williams for about $41.99 a gallon which covers aprox. 200 square feet (it comes in a 5 Gal bucket).  If you have a friend that is has an account at Sherwin Williams - have them buy it for you and save some money.  It works petty well, BUT it must be applied when the attic temp is below 80 degrees so the window for application is short.

                When it comes to Active ventilation systems, the solar power ventilators come one of two configurations - attached panel ($340+) or the detached panel ($299+).  Both work well, are very quite, reliable and can save $8-$11 a month in operating cost (depending on time of year and electric cost), over the standard 300 watt electric unit.  So their payback in really not that long.  One thing that most folks overlook is that for proper venting, there needs to be more input than output.  for example most solar fans are rated at 850CFM that means for each fan the input must be aprox. 1200 CFM (enough openings at the lowest part of the roof line to allow air flow).

                Mike

                ---

              • Mike Schmitt
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 21, 2004

                  Thanks everyone for taking the time to email the info. I have learned a lot about the attic fans and other knowledgeable things about the attic space. I will try to record as much data as I can to have something to give back to the group.

                   Again thanks…there will be more questions to follow soon