RE: [hreg] More on Solar House

  • Ewert, Mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2000
      I applaud your idea Charlie and I hope you do it, but I also agree with
      Kevin's caution to be realistic. My suggestion to you is to start by
      drawing up some ideas for a floor plan (basic size and rooms) and then lists
      all the "extras" you might want to include. A basic energy efficient house
      really doesn't have to cost more than conventional. Then find at least 2
      builders who specialize and talk to them about bids. Besides cheering you
      on, I think HREG could contribute by helping you sort out which "extras"
      will be worth going for. Good luck!

      Here is my personal example. We had a custom 2000 sq. ft. house built 10
      years ago. My wife designed the floor plan and I added my energy
      "features". This included lots of windows on the south with a long
      overhang, few windows on the east and especially west, double pane on the
      north (front-had to have windows), high EER A/C, fans, good insulation and a
      passive solar water heater. I don't feel like we really paid extra. I've
      tried to make as many lights as possible fluorescent, but it's been tough
      (hard to find different styles with electronic ballasts - so they turn on
      right away). I should have had a ridge vent. Anyway, I was so proud that
      my monthly electric bill never went over $100. At the time we had one kid,
      a new A/C and not too many appliances.

      Now for the negative part of the example. 10 years later we have 3 kids
      (not that that's bad), a 10 yr. old AC, more stuff and the killer- a pool.
      Last month my bill was the highest ever ($280). I hope y'all don't kick me
      out of the group. I'm still looking for ways to improve. My gas bill stays
      low year around.

      More power to you Charlie (or should I say Less Power to you?).