Re: [hreg] crash science initiative for alternative energy and conservation

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
      Great article, Laverne. Thanks for posting it. Friedman has written several columns pushing for a Manhattan Project - Moonshot type effort for energy independence, and this is the strongest one I have seen. It's very logical and reasonable. Too bad it will never happen as long as Bush is in the White House. He has too many cronies and financial backers in the oil business - not to mention personal and family interests.

      If we had followed up on Carter's beginnings back in the late 1970s we would be well on our way to energy independence by now and not be facing a Peak Oil energy crisis. But Reagan put an end to what Carter started as soon as he came into office - did away with the subsidies, took the solar hot water heater down off the White House roof, and took all the other well-known actions to squelch the fledgling alternative industry.

      It seems that wars, environmental degradation, health problems, political corruption, and all kinds of other bad effects are directly or indirectly related to our addiction to oil, but there is just too much money involved to change things easily. I'm afraid we will have to face a real crisis before things start to happen. But maybe I'm wrong. I hope so.

      Charlie Mauch
    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 5, 2004
        I think there is a lot of pressure on our Government from both sides of the energy spectrum - the fossil fuel side and the renewable/sustainability side.  Sustainability support is growing and fossil fuel support is shrinking.  We must not give up pushing for sustainability because the other side is winning at the moment.  Sustainability will win eventually - the goal is to prevent a major catastophe from being the final push.  The concerned citizens of this nation must, and I believe will, require our government to make the initiative for sustainable energy and energy independence.  How do you contribute?  Here is an example of a letter you can send to the governor, your representatives, the president, members of DOE, members of DOD, and anyone else who might have an influence on our nation's energy direction.

        To the Honorable [Name]:

        Please pass legislation that will transition the United States to a sustainable energy economy over the next ten years.

        The consumption of fossil fuels is passing the sustainable limit as seen by:  1)   The investment cost for exploration and production of fossil fuels, particularly oil and gas, is rapidly increasing per unit produced, causing higher energy costs and realizing unsecured debt for industries relying on cheap energy.  2)     Emissions from burning fossil fuels have reached ecological limitations, threatening health and the standard of living.  3)      The atomic energy option is negative due to the high cost/risk of security and hazardous waste storage. 4)      The large fraction of energy imported contributes significantly to a trade deficit in the US, and in turn suppresses the economy.  5)      The lopsided dependence on resources from the Middle East is resulting in violent conflicts.

        The US needs to transition to a sustainable energy economy in order to relieve the problems listed above before they cause a major crisis.  A majority of the energy consumed in the US can by provided through biomass, wind and solar sources.  National investment in these areas will have a greater long-term return than any investment in fossil fuels.  Thank you for your efforts and I look forward to reading your reply.

        Sincerely,

        [Your Name]

      • Gary Beck
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 7, 2004
          Message

          Oh Politics!

          I think Roxanne is on the money with this advice to contact our officials and to try to influence them. Anyone know a website that lists all the best government "green", "renewable", "sustainable" energy buttons to push? (i.e. a list of names with fax machine #s and emails).

          Use this to take some action rather than simply "writing-off" renewable energy efforts for the next 4 years just because my guy W is president. That would be negligence on our part.  The oil PACs, related cronies, and general fossil side energy policy influencers are funded, positioned, very well organized and will always strongly influence whoever sits in that #1 seat.

          For ‘renewable energy’ or ‘sustainable energy’ proponents to have any impact without a PAC budget, a guerilla style campaign may be one way to go.  Take the website link and send it with Roxanne’s message to every university, news link, and like minded group that HREG (inter)net-works with.

          To make such a message harder to ignore, use it to create an “event” by telling everyone to send it at one time and on one date.  My suggestion is to pick a notable time like 10:56 pm EDT (the time of Armstrong’s 1st moon message) and a date like December 11th (Day of the last manned moon landing).  Besides getting the receivers attention, if everyone pushed their "SEND" button at that minute the network might sag and it would become international news.

          Gary Beck , P.E.

          Eco-Holdings LLC

          PS:  I disagree with the statement that 'A majority of the energy consumed in the US can by provided through biomass, wind and solar sources'.  The numbers just don't support this (unless a back-to-the Future 'Mr. Fusion' starts getting sold at Kmart).  Conservation would have the biggest impact, but since that is out of vogue see a more comprehensive review of the real now and future energy numbers in a presentation done by Rice’s noble prize winner Richard Smalley - try this link:

          (http://smalley.rice.edu/emplibrary/columbia09232003.ppt#1)  or see all his group’s discussions at http://smalley.rice.edu/smalley.cfm?doc_id=4862

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31, 2004
            Message
            Gary,

            You wrote:
            "PS:  I disagree with the statement that 'A majority of the energy consumed in the US can by provided through biomass, wind and solar sources'.  The numbers just don't support this (unless a back-to-the Future 'Mr. Fusion' starts getting sold at Kmart).  Conservation would have the biggest impact, but since that is out of vogue see a more comprehensive review of the real now and future energy numbers in a presentation done by Rice’s noble prize winner Richard Smalley - try this link:"

            I totally agree with you on the importance and value of conservation, which is of course changing behavior to use less energy.  But to that I would add "energy efficiency", which can allow us to do the same things while using less energy (throught better designed houses, machines, etc.).

            Also, I want to show that the statement "'A majority of the energy consumed in the US can by provided through biomass, wind and solar sources'" is true!

            US energy use is about 100 quads (quadrillion BTU's) per year.

            I have not yet found a very good source for the US as a whole, but a nice study was done for Texas several years ago and here is some data from it:
            Renewable energy potential in Texas alone is
            12 quads/yr from wind
            13 quads/yr from biomass
            4300 quads/yr from solar
            Granted, we can only convert 10 - 70% of the sunlight into energy we can use (depending on application and technology) and we can't use all our land area for energy production, but do the math.  There is enough out there!

            Put another way, 700,000 acres would be needed to produce all the electricity that Texas needs - 1/3 the land area needed to produce it with gas (granted the gas is underground).

            For information on the global level, check out this recent report by the International Solar Energy Society.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2005
              Thanks Mike,

              Vacation is over so I am refreshed enough to contemplate some of these
              ‘higher’ renewable energy thoughts.

              Sorry, but we differ here. Saying "A majority of the energy consumed in the
              US can be provided through biomass, wind and solar sources" is just not
              realistic. This is due to the shear scale of our energy thirst, the limits
              of all available renewable technologies, the limits on transmission
              technologies, and the limits of any economy and to pay for dramatic energy
              system changes. Plus all renewables, even solar and wind, are not always
              environmentally cleaner or environmentally better solutions.

              I'll stick to the energy outlook and arguments by the guy with the Nobel
              Prize. See a clear energy presentation at
              (http://smalley.rice.edu/emplibrary/columbia09232003.ppt#1) and other
              similar discussions at their link at
              http://smalley.rice.edu/smalley.cfm?doc_id=4862). I accept the basic energy
              resources and energy timing predictions his group researched and quoted as
              better than most. (I don't agree with the idea that nano-energy technology
              will save us, any more than I thought fuel cells and hydrogen will save us.)
              Mechanical energy efficiency has been my area of work for half of my career,
              and most recently I have pushed and supported energy system optimization in
              different forms (check out www.wasteheat.com). And while I support different
              renewables for different reasons, I feel it is important to have a realistic
              view of their time, technology, and economic limitations. All good
              ideas/discussions, but economics unfortunately has proven repeatedly it will
              rule over all but the 'no brainer' energy arguments.

              Only conservation is immediate. All it takes is individual behavior change
              like a green product buying decision or a green design decision for a system
              that better supports energy conservation.

              Gary Beck. P.E.

              Eco-Holdings LLC
              Design Consulting
              USGBC-LEED(Accredited), BSE(Civil), TDI(Wind Storm - Structural)
              Texas P.E.(Mechanical), Authorized Service (Capstone Microturbines)

              "PS:  I disagree with the statement that 'A majority of the energy consumed
              in the US can by provided through biomass, wind and solar sources'.  The
              numbers just don't support this (unless a back-to-the Future 'Mr. Fusion'
              starts getting sold at Kmart).  Conservation would have the biggest impact,
              but since that is out of vogue see a more comprehensive review of the real
              now and future energy numbers in a presentation done by Rice’s noble prize
              winner Richard Smalley - try this link:"

              I totally agree with you on the importance and value of conservation, which
              is of course changing behavior to use less energy.  But to that I would add
              "energy efficiency", which can allow us to do the same things while using
              less energy (throught better designed houses, machines, etc.).

              Also, I want to show that the statement "'A majority of the energy consumed
              in the US can be provided through biomass, wind and solar sources'" is true!

              US energy use is about 100 quads (quadrillion BTU's) per year.
              Source: http://www.coltoncompany.com/shipbldg/statistics/energy.htm

              Source: http://www.infinitepower.org/resoverview.htm

              source: http://www.infinitepower.org/pdf/FactSheet-08.pdf%c2%a0

              http://www.ises.org/shortcut.nsf/to/wp%c2%a0

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Roxanne Boyer
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
                Gary,
                I kind of agree with you that renewable energy can not economically provide our energy needs now.  I also think it is realistic that renewable energy can become a larger fraction of our energy supply as time goes on.  I have reviewed Smalley's presentations and I think he agrees.  It is quite realistic that renewable energy could dominate the electric market by 2050.  Current trends - technical and economical - point that direction.  Transportation and industrial energy remain a big question; but a question that must be answered by 2050.  The search for a solution starts today.  A nation that controls the solution will be the next world superpower.  Professionals that are part of the solution will be in the wealthy class.  I also think the answer will have multiple solutions.

                I have summarized my finding on the Renewable Energy Potential in the US in a paper.  It is too large to attach as e-mail here, so I'll hand it out at the next HREG meeting.
                Regards,
                Chris

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005
                  Gary,

                  I agree that there is no short term renewable energy solution that can
                  meet this nation's needs economically. However, one thing I had driven
                  into me in a previous e-mail debate with Charles Mauch was the extent to
                  which we are subsidizing our hydrocarbon economy today. I hadn't
                  thought about the full extent of it before that discussion, but I must
                  confess that my scientific prejudices against the hype of the hydrogen
                  economy etc. had blinded me to the full range of subsidies that
                  undergird the low cost of fossil fuels today, and Charlie taught me a
                  thing or two that round! :-)

                  I think if we were to take Smalley's "nickel and dime" proposal and
                  perhaps even expand it, i.e., to recover from consumers the full cost of
                  subsidies such as war expenses, then we could put fossil fuels and
                  renewables on a more even footing to "let the best technology win" from
                  an economics standpoint. The "fuel tax" money could be plowed into R&D,
                  conservation, etc. The R&D should be on both fossil fuels/nuclear as
                  well as renewables--to hedge our bets and to keep the subsidization
                  somewhat neutral, but heavily weighted towards renewables (and fusion?).
                  I think that between increased R&D and higher fossil fuel costs we'd see
                  a faster rate of conversion to renewables. That would drive further R&D
                  and lower costs through economies of scale. We'd get there faster than
                  we will at our present rate of expenditure and fossil fuel cost.

                  That is my conjecture, at least. It would be interesting to see a
                  careful analysis of this and see how various fossil fuel/renewable cost
                  ratios affect the rate of conversion. Maybe someone has done this and
                  one of you have a link you could post?

                  As a polymer chemist, I'm all for preserving oil and natural gas for
                  plastics! :-)

                  Robert Johnston

                • J. P. Malone
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2005

                    All this discussion is interesting and heart felt.  The following is not intended as a rant, but to put our problem in perspective.

                    Our government, both parties, is so tied to big oil money, anyone who really believes anything will change it our lifetimes is living in la-la land.

                    It would take solar panels covering every square inch of the state of New Jersey just to equal the energy used in New Jersey.  So the size of the oil dependency is almost beyond our reason.

                    A breakthrough, one not foreseeable by current science is most likely the only hope in the US.  Outside the US there may be some help because of the different mind set of the non US-Oil cartel.

                    China is graduating more engineers & scientists each year than the US graduates all college students of all degree fields.  China has a massive energy problem.  They also have a growing economy that it partly controlled & partly free market.  As they inevitably pass the US number of educated citizens (check out our schools systems if you doubt this) and the controlling government forces capital & research in to alternative energy research because of their vast needs and lack of resources they may turn this thing around.

                    I hope I live long enough to see the beginning.

                    In the interim, conservation, voting, getting activity in politics may be the only drop in the bucket we have. I hope I’m wrong.

                    J. Patrick Malone

                    I agree that there is no short term renewable energy solution that can
                    meet this nation's needs economically.  However, one thing I had driven
                    into me in a previous e-mail debate with Charles Mauch was the extent to
                    which we are subsidizing our hydrocarbon economy today.  I hadn't
                    thought about the full extent of it before that discussion, but I must
                    confess that my scientific prejudices against the hype of the hydrogen
                    economy etc. had blinded me to the full range of subsidies that
                    undergird the low cost of fossil fuels today, and Charlie taught me a
                    thing or two that round!  :-)

                    I think if we were to take Smalley's "nickel and dime" proposal and
                    perhaps even expand it, i.e., to recover from consumers the full cost of
                    subsidies such as war expenses, then we could put fossil fuels and
                    renewables on a more even footing to "let the best technology win" from
                    an economics standpoint.  The "fuel tax" money could be plowed into R&D,
                    conservation, etc.  The R&D should be on both fossil fuels/nuclear as
                    well as renewables--to hedge our bets and to keep the subsidization
                    somewhat neutral, but heavily weighted towards renewables (and fusion?).
                    I think that between increased R&D and higher fossil fuel costs we'd see
                    a faster rate of conversion to renewables.  That would drive further R&D
                    and lower costs through economies of scale.  We'd get there faster than
                    we will at our present rate of expenditure and fossil fuel cost.

                    That is my conjecture, at least.  It would be interesting to see a
                    careful analysis of this and see how various fossil fuel/renewable cost
                    ratios affect the rate of conversion.  Maybe someone has done this and
                    one of you have a link you could post?

                    As a polymer chemist, I'm all for preserving oil and natural gas for
                    plastics!  :-)

                    Robert Johnston

                  • Roxanne Boyer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 4, 2005
                      Mr. Malone,
                      I quite dissagree with you on many of these issues, and so do most scientists.  Read any of the articles today on energy in Scientific American, Physics Today, Discovery, Science, .... and you will find that our current oil consumption trends can only be sustained to about 2050, plus or minus 20 years.  Renewable energy is growing exponencially.  Europe is aiming for 20% renewables by 2020.  I believe many of the US States already have similar goals and many more will join in as time goes on.  There will be a change within the next lifespan.

                      Even the "Oil" companies realize this and have published reports that say so.  They are starting to call themselves "Energy" companies and investing quite heavily in renewable energy.  See Shell Solar, Shell Wind, Shell Renewables, BP Solar, GE Solar, GE Wind, for example.  And if the oil companies don't lead, the electronics companies will.  Sharp is already the leading manufacturer of solar cells.

                      I don't know how you did your math about not enough solar energy in New Jersey (is that the state with the highest energy to land ratio and the least sunny state?).  But the math I have done shows that I can supply all of my Houston household electrical needs (averaged) by covering half of my roof with solar panels.  No breakthrough technology needed; it already exists.  If you trend retail electric prices and solar PV prices, you will see the cost cross in the year 2025 - then it will be more economical to buy PV than grid electricity!

                      If you read up on the technical progress of photoelectrics, you will see incredible breakthroughs in the last 10 years.  Right now, solar cells are expensive because production can not keep up with demand.  And new record breaking production facillities are being opened each year.

                      If you want a "heart felt" change, read the July-August issue of Renewable Energy World each year and see the growth of RE for yourself.  It is amazing.  Maybe we can discuss some of the facts at the next HREG meeting, Sunday, 2:00pm, Jan 30th at TSU.
                      Sincerely,
                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 4, 2005
                        hi

                        i wanted to attend this Sunday's meeting at TSU School of Technology
                        and was wondering what room number do you have your meetings?

                        thanks,
                        David A.

                        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                      • Mike Ewert
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 5, 2005
                          The next HREG meeting will be Sunday January 30 from 2-4pm at TSU School of
                          Technology room 225. We will send an agenda closer to the date.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 6, 2005
                            2 points:
                            Note the land area required for solar energy in Richard Smalley's presentation.

                            I like PV too, but solar thermal is even farther along in terms of cost competitiveness (large scale).   It is one of the most cost-effective renewable power technologies, with present power generation costs of US¢12-20/kWh and long-term costs of US¢5-10/kWh. Source: Renewable Energy World

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 6, 2005
                              Message
                              Incredible breakthoughs or not, one thing I have to point out is that solar cells should not be thought of as free or even renewable. The energy they capture is not free. They make electricity by capturing energy that is otherwise reflected back into space. All this captured energy will be released as sensable heat.

                              The other point is that every solar cell I have ever seen is very dark color and that on a sunny day I assume you can fry and egg on them during operation.  And they would remain warm for a few extra hours each night.  Sounds like a hot city that has 1/2 of the area of every roof covered in in solar cells.

                              This vision of a 'solar roof on every house' is the opposite of significant eco design efforts to try to cool cities by adopting building specifications changing commercial roof colors to white and residential roofs to very light shingles (plus a cooler roof means cooler living working space). Or better yet like USGBC-LEED and other efforts that support 'green' garden roof on new commerical buildings.

                              What is the best approach to satisfy both concerns? Is there a light colored solar cell? Any one have a design for a solar cell garden roof?

                              Gary Beck
                              Eco-Holdings LLC

                              I read ocasionally Scientific American, Discovery, Science etc. - they are great for 'what if' and 'think about this' , but not very good predictors at all. What were they saying about fuel cells 10 or 20 years ago? My son get Popular Science - a recent article is called "Hydrogen's Bomb - Decoding the Hype".  My favorite recent new science release? The spinach plant that is designed to generate electricity (no joke) (here's a joke: It is a good thing since will require more candle lit dinners - cause after you finish your salad it's light out!)

                                    In my solar engineering textbook, it states that a solar cell will get hot IF the electricity generated by it is not used.  This makes sense since energy can neither be created nor destroyed.  If the power doesn't take the form of electrical energy, then it will take to form of thermal energy.  So as solar cells get more and more efficient, they will run cooler and cooler.

                                Han Ooi

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 6, 2005
                                  Message

                                  Gary Beck
                                  Eco-Holdings LLC

                                  Wrote:    Is there a light colored solar cell?

                                  Well, the reason the cells surface is dark is to help it absorb as much light energy as possible. A light colored cell would reflect more photons reducing the cells output significantly. If you looked at the cell surface under magnification, you would see the surface is jagged and rough to increase the surface receiving sunlight. The heat is just an unwanted byproduct.
                                  Possibly the quickest way to improve module efficiency by 1 to 2 % is to figure how to eliminate resistance at the interconnections between individual cells. No one has yet figured how to effectively 'solder' wires to silicon. This is why most PV manufacturers advertise the individual cell efficiency as slightly higher than the overall module efficiency. That's driving the industry away from silicon and toward other methods of electrical production; spinach for example.
                                  Jim Duncan
                                • Robert Johnston
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 7, 2005
                                    Message

                                    Am I missing something, or is this much to do about nothing?

                                    Sure, any radiant energy captured by a solar cell is not reflected back into space immediately.  But:  (a) even if you had a perfect mirror there instead, not all reflected light would make it back to space [light scattering, greenhouse effect, etc.]; (b) surely one can coat the cell with a reflective surface that transmits UV (or whatever wavelengths the solar cell optimally uses) and reflects others; (c) if the solar cell weren’t there, it is unlikely that the surface that would be there instead would reflect light back perfectly either.  It would absorb at least a portion of it and the radiant energy would be converted to heat.  Even biomass merely stores it as potential energy that is later released as heat by burning, digestion, etc.  And, (d) some of the absorbed radiation that is converted into heat will eventually be emitted back to space.  Ever notice how much the earth cools on a clear night with no cloud cover?  That is heat loss by a relatively cool substrate, e.g., the earth at 15-30°C.

                                    I don’t think we are talking about a big deal here.  Even if 1% of the U.S. land mass were covered with solar cells, that would not absorb as much radiant energy as our forests do today.

                                    Why not just do a radiant energy balance on the planet?  Smalley’s presentation says in 2003 we used 14 terawatts (TW) of energy per day.  This compares to 165,000 TW of sunlight striking the planet per day.  Even at the 50 TW he projects we’ll need in 2050, that is only 0.03% of the sun’s radiant energy being needed.  If we have perfectly absorbent solar cells that absorb all the solar spectrum, and if they operate at only 10% solar efficiency, that means that the solar cells necessary to supply our energy needs in 2050 (assuming we go 100% solar cells for energy needs) would absorb just 0.3% of the sun’s radiant flux on earth.  Do you think we’d even notice that?  Remember, a significant fraction of that 0.3% is already absorbed by whatever substrate is there today.  We’re talking about an extremely small effect here!

                                    There remains a debate about whether global warming is real or not.  But if we assume it is, I think most scientists would argue that the cause of global warming is not the heat we are emitting but rather the greenhouse effect, e.g., the heat we are trapping.  If we quit using fossil fuels and drastically reduce greenhouse gas emissions, any additional heat absorbed by solar cells would be more than compensated for by the increased emission to space.  In other words, we can afford to convert more energy into sensable heat so long as we have less greenhouse effect.

                                    If you are concerned about localized effects, such as in cities, there would be ways to mitigate it.  For instance, you could make covered parking lots, with the cells on the roof; this would merely absorb what would have otherwise been absorbed by the asphalt.  There are indeed efforts to convert roofing membranes from black rubber sheeting or asphalt to white TPO roofing membranes.  However, as happened at MinuteMaid Park, mold and mildew can quickly stain a white roof to a dark color, so it is not a very robust approach today, and I’m not sure what the long term contribution to urban micro-climates is.  Personally, I’d prefer a dark roof since it is more UV stable and should last longer.  That makes sense from an economic and sustainability standpoint.  If I were a roofing membrane installer, though, I’d sure rather work on a white roof!  (At least in Houston in the summer)!

                                    Robert Johnston

                                      Mountains out a molehill? Buy some panels a put that Texas cooker to work.