RE: [hreg] Wind Farms affect climate

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
      So I guess that giant wind farm in Palm Springs, CA (next to I-10) would
      increase the temperature 1.3 °F in the vicinity of the wind farm.
      Hmmm... That would raise the temperature from 110 to 111.3. Do you
      think folks would notice?

      Seriously, I suspect all the asphalt dropped on farmland and industrial
      roofs has had more effect on local climate than the windfarms will have.

      Robert

    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2004
        True, "There's never a free ride"; however, still we have to shop around and make wise decisions to get the best ride at the lowest cost.

        The article refered to in the preceding e-mail reports findings from a modelling study that predicted a 0.7 degC change in temperature at ground level in the local region of the wind farm.  The turbines act like giant air mixers.  There would not be a global temperature change; at night and in certain regions, the ground would get 0.7 deg warmer and the sky would get 0.7 deg cooler.  Is that bad?  The article implicates that we should consider this a serious drawback for wind farms.  Really?

        Many other human footprints have impacts on the environment much larger than wind farms.  Electric plants raise the temperature of cooling ponds by several degrees.  Cities raise the local temperature by several degrees.  The Second Law of Thermodynamics explains that everything we do has a negative impact on the order of the universe (positive chaos - "entropy").  Our goal is not to stop living, but to live more sustainably.  Wind farms are far more desireable than the fossil fuel or nuclear options.

        Enjoy Renewables,
        Chris

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004

          Wind farms blow,… not!

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
            To all-
            The Houston ISD Outdoor Education Center is putting
            together our annual conference on
            environmental/outdoor/experiential Education. We are
            trying to put together a diverse group of speakers on
            various topics including renewable energy,
            specifically solar energy. We are looking for
            speakers on solar power and ways to connect students
            with the basics of generation and hot issues in
            energy. Does anyone know of speakers or is anyone on
            this list serve interested in becoming part of this
            conference? If you know of anyone and could help me
            out that would be greatly appreciated or if you are
            interested in coming yourself we would love to have
            you up to Trinity, TX. I have attached a Call for
            Presenters as well as our flyer. I hope everyone is
            doing well.
            Sincerely,
            Kelly McKay
            HISD Outdoor Education Center

            =====
            'It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not.'

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2004
              I am scheduled once again to do a presentation for the San Antonio chapter
              of the AIA on Photovoltaic Power and Net-Metered Power Systems. This is the
              same presentation I gave at the Green Building Expo last month. It would be
              a pleasure to offer this information to your group. I went to school at A&M
              and my family is from Carthage which is in the East Texas area. I could
              combine a trip to Trinity with a trip back home. Please let me know if I
              can be of service.
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257