Re: [hreg] Green Homes 101 workshop in Houston

  • Environment Associates Architects
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2004
      Deborah:

      There will be more, we just don't know when or where at this point.  I have you on my email list to notify.  If anyone else who wants to make sure they will receive notices about seminars/workshops in the future, just email your address to me @ laverne@... .

      LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
      architect & building ecologist
      laverne@...
      ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
      5828 Langfield Road
      Houston, TX 77092-1429
      713.528.0000
      866.815.2527 toll free
      www.environmentassoc.com
      30 Years of Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2004
        LaVerne Williams,

        Thank you so much for putting me on your list. I couldn't make this very important meeting and I am kicking myself daily. I have a furniture store named PAD on Westheimer which I am gearing towards more efficient living.
        Minimal/Functional instead of "plentiful"!  Less is more!
        As a matter of fact we are having a "outsider art" opening Friday, November 5th, 7-10 p.m. if anyone you know or in the group would like to attend.

        sincerely,

        debora smail
        www.padtx.com  <-----webpage has downloadable catalogs for viewing.
      • Amanda Tullos
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 26, 2004
          Hello,
          I would like to clarify that the AIA Green Toolbox series is unfortunately not free; but we do have a great website (see link below) and I am always happy to offer help and suggestions.

          Also, I would like to mention a Green Building Symposium we call "Gulf Coast Green 2005" that AIA Houston COTE will be doing on April 29th at the George R. Brown.  It will have 3 tracks including Commercial, residential, and general business tools. I will send more info and a weblink soon.

          Lastly, will HREG be doing another tour this spring? I think it would be great if COTE and HREG could collaborate on this.

          Thanks,

          Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
          co-Chair
          AIA COTE - Houston
          American Institute of Architects
          Committee on the Environment
          http://www.aiahouston.org/cote

          Amanda Tullos, Assoc. AIA, LEED AP
          Heights Venture Architects, LLP
          1111 North Loop West, Suite 800
          Houston, TX 77008
          713.869.1103 x169

          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 28, 2004
            Amanda,

            I don't think HREG will attempt another tour until next fall.  It is a challenge for our small volunteer base.  In the Spring we usually focus our efforts on Earth Day celebrations.

            Of course, we will have elections in January, and if we get new leaders, they might feel differently.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 28, 2004

              I am looking for help to source a reasonably priced ‘auto venting’ window system.

              This would typically be a decent quality casement crank style window installed horizontally – awning style. The crank is then replaced with either a remote spindle for pole cranking, or preferably a motor actuator so windows can be opened by a wall switch.  The project is slightly off Galveston bay so wind storm testing is required and the materials need to be right.

              I am sending specific requests but the responses are either outrageous ($5000 for 6 windows with motors), or slow to respond. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel and am only looking for the right company as a shortcut to help the owner.

              If you know a link or contact, please send it.  If you sell these - call or email me ASAP.

              Gary Beck, P.E.

              Eco-Holdings LLC

              713-530-1950

            • Ted Mengers
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 28, 2004
                Gary:

                The best quality for windows with your desired operation would be Velux. They have a full line of motorized windows and skylights. www. velux.com will get you to a local wholesaler.
                I believe Marvin can also add the remote controlled motor to some models they produce. BTW: the Home Depot 610 Loop at 59 south has a display of the Velux window/skylights where you can try the operation.

                Caveats:

                1) DO NOT get a casement window and mount it sideways. The frame, weatherstripping, nailing fins,etc. would not allow water to drain properly, thus funneling water where you don't want it. Get an awning style window. All companies offer them.

                2) DO NOT get a cheap window and expect to add some makeshift mechanism to it. It would not seal shut properly, not have a warranty, could impose forces on window frame that could damage it. Get a mechanism integral to the frame.

                3) Pay what it costs. Depending on size, the Velux could be around $600 with a manual mechanism (wand crank). Remote motorized somewhat more.This is an item not to scrimp on because of its inaccessibility and high performance requirements (remain watertight, not jam up, etc.). Save money elsewhere to afford the best here.

                We've designed several waterside homes with these high windows to exhaust hot interior air. We've addressed your same issues by having only select ones of a series operable - the rest are fixed. You only need a couple to be operable, one on south side, one on north side, to bleed off hottest air that stratifies up. Having 4 of your six be fixed, sashless types might well offset the cost of having the other 2 be higher quality with remote control motors.

                Hope this helps. Call if any other questions.

                Regards,
                Ted Mengers
                Pyranak Design Group
                4407 Blossom
                Houston, Texas 77007-5534
                W   713-862-3814
                M   832-651-4462
                e      tmengers@...
                website    www.pyranak.com

                Comprehensive Design of Residential, Interior, and Landscape Environments