RE: [hreg] Trees and the Power company

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
      You and I both, on making them plant trees. They just chopped down whole
      rows of trees that were still 10 feet below the power lines. We would have
      a new forest for the damage they have done in the last couple of weeks.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

    • John Miggins
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
        Kim, do a load analysis, then get the batteries and the controls like charge
        controllers, inverters etc... and a generator, you can then add the solar
        panels later as the money is available. Most inverter packages have an
        automatic charging switch to turn on generator to recharge batteries. The
        critical thing is to size the battery bank to meet your needs as it is hard
        to add to batteries after 6 months,

        good luck,

        John Miggins
        Harvest Solar & Wind Power
        "renewable solutions to everyday needs"
        www.harvest-energy.com
        Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
        Cell: 918-521-6223

      • phil@greaseltech.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
          Hi,
          My name is Phil DuBose and I am the new member that does conversions to diesel
          engines to burn SVO. If you would like to call me or email me I have some
          insite into Bio-diesel and SVO. My phone number is 281-686-3230 and my email is
          phil@.... Also I will be at Greg Carriers house this Sunday 1-5pm
          with my converted truck. I can convert any diesel engine to burn SVO. Looking
          forward to talking with you.
          phil

          > Greetings,
          >

          > Well my trees have managed to survive the Texas Hiway departments massacre,
          >
          > but now the power company is on the rampage.  Any tree within 20 feet of a
          >
          > power line is being cut down, regardless of how tall it is.  I had a major
          >
          > argument with them, as I have a lovely mature tree windscreen between my
          >
          > property and the hiway in the front of my place.  I am tail end charlie on
          >
          > the line, so if I go off grid, I get to keep my trees.  They have given me
          >
          > six months.
          >

          > I have been concentrating on the sustainable farming and on getting my farm
          >
          > going, planning on doing my biofuel thing in a big way when I had the farm
          >
          > up and running.  I do not have the rabbitry set up for manure collection to
          >
          > do methane the way I wanted to.  I had planned on using a separate
          >
          > generator and drive engines, so I could use my tractor for back up when
          >
          > maintenance was needed.  I am still looking at the various ideas for solar
          >
          > AC and trying to figure out how much power I can get away with.  I am not
          >
          > ready to do this.
          >

          > I am not willing to part with 20 to 30 year old tress, either.
          >

          > On a happy note, we have a new member  that does engine conversions to run
          >
          > SVO .   I will have some help reasonably close at hand.  It will be
          >
          > wonderful to be able to get my conversions done locally. [within 150 miles]
          >

          > So, I have 6 months to be off grid.  Any ideas of how to stream line the
          >
          > process and get me to where I need to be?
          >

          > Bright Blessings,
          >
          > Kim

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kim & Garth Travis
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
            Thank you for the advice, but I don't believe that batteries are part of a
            sustainable lifestyle. About the time they pay for themselves, they need
            to be replaced. I will use a few small solar panels with batteries, for
            farm use, but a central battery bank, no way. The problem is that when one
            battery goes bad, the entire bank has to be replaced. This is not good
            planning in my books. I would rather make lifestyle changes to eliminate
            the need for batteries.
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
              This tree issue is close to my heart.

              If you have ever spent any time in San Antonio and the Hill Country region
              you should know that we have the most beautiful Live Oak trees and the worst
              case of Mountain Juniper (Cedar) in the world. For as long as I can
              remember the utilities, developers and builders have been waging war on all
              the trees in this area. It remains common for the developers to take out
              all the mature, old trees and plant new landscaping that is not even
              compatible with our climate and location. Of these three offenders City
              Public Service (CPS - our electric utility) has the highest kill ratio of
              trees. What is truly criminal about this is they tend to go after the
              large, mature trees and leave the young cedars alone.

              Most of our local population suffers with allergies from cedar pollen during
              the winter months. Cedar trees are also water pigs and can pull so much
              ground water they can drop the local water table. Cedar trees are not even
              native. They were brought into the area from the west by decades of
              ranching and cows. For years San Antonio has been trying to pass a tree
              ordinance with enough teeth in it that it can save mature trees and force
              potential development to go around our native landscape. To this day the
              ordinance that we have puts no restraint on City Public Service because it
              is a case of the city trying to control the behavior of a city owned
              utility. Today City Public Service is extending their operating area
              outside the city, into and outside Bexar County. They recently won a battle
              to take over Fair Oaks Ranch. As CPS extends their lines they are taking
              out wide swaths of trees for high tension power lines and substations. Most
              of the dead tree debris CPS creates is being burned in the field where it is
              cut and is not be used or recycled. The environmental damage from this
              annexation is being doubled and tripled.

              One of the many reasons City Public Service is a utility we love to hate.

              Our new address is:
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              210-698-7109
              FAX: 210-698-7147
              www.sbtdesigns.com

              e@yahoogroups.com

              > > *
              > >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Kim & Garth Travis
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
                They do tend to leave the cedar trees, but on my neighbors place, they cut
                everything! I guess I got them in a bad mood. My girlfriend and I had to
                go out because we were getting sick to our stomachs listening to the
                destruction. However, I did pick up 4.5 truckloads of wood from my
                neighbors, they are not burning it or letting it rot. I don't have the
                right to pick up any one else's wood, but I did scavenge what I could. If
                I was not so busy, I would clean it all up with my chipper shredder and use
                it in my compost.

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

              • Andrew McCalla
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
                  Kim,

                  I concur with John, it all starts with a load analysis.

                  For an excellent treatment of this concept I would start with these articles
                  @ Home Power. I like, in particular, the second one by Ben Root:

                  http://www.homepower.com/files/loadcalc.pdf

                  Most inverters you will likely be looking at will have an automatic
                  generator start function as well as AC to DC charger with programmable
                  profile. So, if you are trying to keep costs down from the get-go, focus on
                  that ultimate battery you will need and an inverter that will satisfy the
                  preliminary loads, while making sure that it is compatible with modular
                  expansion to accommodate future loads. At this point in the game you don't
                  need a charge controller.

                  What you do need is an AC charging source: Either a temporary grid drop,
                  perhaps from a neighbor via Romex (a 20 Amp 120 VAC circuit will do quite a
                  bit for battery maintenance) or, more likely in your case it sounds like, a
                  good solid, low rev. generator that will last you years.

                  Let me know if we can help with this project in any way and meanwhile, good
                  luck with the wood-butchers.

                  Andrew H. McCalla
                  Meridian Energy Systems
                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                  Austin, TX 78704

                  (512) 448-0055
                  (512) 448-0045
                  www.meridiansolar.com
                • Andrew McCalla
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
                    Kim,
                    Kim,

                    Off grid without a battery? Well, it's been done for millennia, so it is a
                    working model. But I think you are right in your forecast for lifestyle
                    changes.

                    I suppose you could process your own hydrogen with electrolysis and use fuel
                    cells; or you could process methane through biodigestion or use
                    biodiesel/svo for an IC generator.............and then there are Stirling
                    Engines, Steam Power, Pressurized Air, Stored Water..........

                    Keep us posted as this proves to be interesting.

                    Andrew H. McCalla
                    Meridian Energy Systems
                    2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                    Austin, TX 78704

                    (512) 448-0055
                    (512) 448-0045
                    www.meridiansolar.com

                    Thank you for the advice, but I don't believe that batteries are part of a
                    sustainable lifestyle. About the time they pay for themselves, they need
                    to be replaced. I will use a few small solar panels with batteries, for
                    farm use, but a central battery bank, no way. The problem is that when one
                    battery goes bad, the entire bank has to be replaced. This is not good
                    planning in my books. I would rather make lifestyle changes to eliminate
                    the need for batteries.
                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                    At 08:26 AM 10/20/2004, you wrote:

                    >Kim, do a load analysis, then get the batteries and the controls like
                    charge
                    >controllers, inverters etc... and a generator, you can then add the solar
                    >panels later as the money is available. Most inverter packages have an
                    >automatic charging switch to turn on generator to recharge batteries. The
                    >critical thing is to size the battery bank to meet your needs as it is hard
                    >to add to batteries after 6 months,
                    >
                    >good luck,
                    >
                    >John Miggins
                    >Harvest Solar & Wind Power
                    >"renewable solutions to everyday needs"
                    >www.harvest-energy.com
                    >Phone/Fax 918-743-2299
                    >Cell: 918-521-6223

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Mike Ewert
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 21, 2004
                      I'd like to thank all our solar industry people who have always been very
                      generous to volunteer information to HREG members. Next year I would like
                      to make it a goal for us to help promote them more to the community, in a
                      fair and even way, of course.