RE: [hreg] Let's Build a Solar House

  • Steve Stelzer
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
      Charlie: Sounds great! Count me in.

      Steve Stelzer

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ChasMauch@... [mailto:ChasMauch@...]
      Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 12:09 PM
      To: hreg@egroups.com
      Subject: [hreg] Let's Build a Solar House

      Hello everyone,

      Just had a somewhat wild but very interesting thought that I would like to
      share with you all. I need to move out of the apartment that I live in. It's

      too expensive and full of yuppies and generally disagreeable. But most of
      the
      other complexes I look at are pretty much the same. I've looked at some
      townhouses and condos, but they are not what I want either. And most of the
      rent houses I've looked at aren't so hot.

      So I wondered - why not just go ahead and build myself a fairly small solar
      house with all the bells and whistles, the first stop on our future Houston
      solar home tour? We have architects and others with lots of expertise, and I

      need a place to live. I guess it could be a revamp, but probably it would be

      better to build all the stuff in right from the start.

      We could use it to gather data on reduced electric costs, water usage, etc.
      Would probably cost lots more than a conventional house, but might get a
      grant or something to cover the difference. I'm talking a textbook house of
      the future here that would get us writeups in the media. Would that be an
      interesting project for us or what? Please let me know what ya'll think.

      Charlie Mauch
    • David Bergeron
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10, 2000
        Hello Charlie,

        What do you have in mind in terms of power requirements and power
        sources?.., air conditioning, refrigeration, hot water, lighting, TV,
        some/most/all PV? What size house are you thinking about?
        I can technically contribute to the refrigeration and air conditioning
        design matters if you like.

        David Bergeron

      • OLafleur@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2000
          Hello Charlie!

          This is a late response because I was out of town for the past week. Your
          idea is one that will really put HREG on the map, if we can make it a
          reality. It will be easy to get full funding for a project like this, if we
          look hard enough. Lets start looking at the cost and benefits, when you have
          a chance.

          Also, this is a good topic for our next meeting.

          Oral
        • Marjorie N Wood
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2000
            How about one of those houses built from shredded paper mixed with
            concrete? There are folks doing that in Arizona and New Mexico. It would
            be inexpensive, durable and not need much cooling or heating.
            Marge

            On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 00:49:10 EDT OLafleur@... writes:
            > Hello Charlie!
            >
            > This is a late response because I was out of town for the past week.
            > Your
            > idea is one that will really put HREG on the map, if we can make it
            > reality. It will be easy to get full funding for a project like
            > this, if we
            > look hard enough. Lets start looking at the cost and benefits, when
            > you have
            > a chance.
            >
            > Also, this is a good topic for our next meeting.
            >
            > Oral

          • Kim & Garth Travis
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2000
              The problem with papercrete is that it has not got the track record to get a
              building permit. As of now, only one papercrete house is in the process of
              being built by permit. Here in Texas we have a code for adobe and fibrous
              adobe will be passed under the same code. This is important to me because
              of insurance on the building. By the way, we have a couple of small
              papercrete buildings right here in Bedias, no need to go to AZ or NM.
              Kim