Let's Build a Solar House

  • ChasMauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2000
      Hello everyone,

      Just had a somewhat wild but very interesting thought that I would like to
      share with you all. I need to move out of the apartment that I live in. It's
      too expensive and full of yuppies and generally disagreeable. But most of the
      other complexes I look at are pretty much the same. I've looked at some
      townhouses and condos, but they are not what I want either. And most of the
      rent houses I've looked at aren't so hot.

      So I wondered - why not just go ahead and build myself a fairly small solar
      house with all the bells and whistles, the first stop on our future Houston
      solar home tour? We have architects and others with lots of expertise, and I
      need a place to live. I guess it could be a revamp, but probably it would be
      better to build all the stuff in right from the start.

      We could use it to gather data on reduced electric costs, water usage, etc.
      Would probably cost lots more than a conventional house, but might get a
      grant or something to cover the difference. I'm talking a textbook house of
      the future here that would get us writeups in the media. Would that be an
      interesting project for us or what? Please let me know what ya'll think.

      Charlie Mauch