Re: [hreg] Solar Power incentives in Houston, Tx

  • Lunce
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
      I hear that Major White is concerned about the environment - so perhaps
      there is hope yet?

      Or perhaps next time there is an election we can have a who-is-for
      renewable energy publized on our site?

      Roxanne Boyer wrote:

      > It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the
      > value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax
      > appraisal.

    • Jim & Janet
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
        Andrew wrote:
        The web is plastered with all manner of low-service, low-margin discount shops that will be glad to drop-ship you whatever components you think you need.

        Another thing to consider, if you do happen to find a great deal on a 'new' or used inverter, PV etc. thru Ebay or anywhere else, most reputable installers (1) will not install it if they didn't order it themselves (2) sure won't give a minutes warranty coverage for any product they cannot trace to the mfgr.
        Often there is nothing more expensive than a deal too good to pass up.
        Jim Duncan
        North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.

        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
          Chris:
          If you need any help we are here to help people. Currently, we are engaged in three international projects abroad, where we have better success as Consultants rather than locally.

          Bashir A. Syed
          VicePresident, R&D
          (Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, HREG and More)
          EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
          (A Renewable Energy Consulting Company)
          1120 NASA Road One, Suite 220
          Houston, TX 77058

          I want to install a PV system on my house too, however, I hesitate to tackle the project alone or at the mercy of a vendor.  Is there anyone else in this group that would like to put PV on their home.  Maybe we can get together and share what we learn, buy stuff in bulk so as to get a discount, or even share work on the installation.

          -Chris

          I just joined this group a couple of days ago. I have been thinking about installing a 5Kw PV
          cells in my home and have been looking at the incetives from local governments. Unfortunelty I can
          not find any, does anyone know if Houston , the state of Texas , or the Federal govt. have any
          grants iniciatives, rebates if i do decide to install a PV system?

          http://vote.yahoo.com

          [Scanned by AwesomeNet Anti-Virus]

        • Bashir Syed
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
            Our Website is down, and we are in the process of updating and getting it reactivated. Thanks!

            Bashir
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004

              Roxanne,

              Indeed, that’s about it.  Damning with faint praise at best.

              Andrew H. McCalla

              Meridian Energy Systems

              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

              Austin, TX   78704

              (512) 448-0055

              (512) 448-0045

              www.meridiansolar.com

                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                  I think there is some federal income tax credit, or more likely deduction, but I don't know the details.

                  Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                      Be sure toask your electric utility what incentives they offer, but you may have to dig for that info. I discovered that TXU has a one-time per kW rated payment.
                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 19, 2004
                        I believe the "at the mercy" comment mostly indicated a desire to
                        understand more about PVs so as not to feel helpless and totally
                        dependent upon others.

                        I agree with Andrew's recommendation of the SEI PV course. It
                        should give you a comfortable knowledge of PVs, and perhaps even a
                        greater appreciation of a vendor's possible assistance.

                        You do not have to choose between 100% vendor and 100% Do It
                        Yourself. I'm sure that most vendors are happier with educated
                        customers and those that are more interested in involvement.

                        I believe that www.homepower.com still offers free pdf downloads of
                        their latest issue, and I urge you to subscribe and consume.

                        I live in Houston, have PVs on my home, and will be glad to have
                        discussions with anyone seriously interested in installing PVs or
                        who have an existing system. And Andrew, when you're in town with
                        extra time, let's have lunch.
                      • Roxanne Boyer
                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                          I greatly appreciate the vendors who have advised us on this group.  Installing a PV system involves a rather large cost, and so I want to know more about what I am doing.  I believe the vendors can design and install excellent systems, but that is only part of the work - interconnection with the grid and building permits are the other part.  I also want to shop around and get other people's opinions about the best vendors to use.

                          It left a negative impression on me when I called Southwest PV last year and asked what I needed to do to put PV on my house.  The salesman replied, "just buy our system".  I asked about interconnection with the utility and building permits, and he replied that he was not aware that I would need to do anything.  I know now that I would have gotten into a lot of trouble if I took his advice.

                          Would someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with interconnection and permitting like to make a presentation during an HREG meeting?  I think it would make a good topic.

                          Thanks,

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                            I have a presentation prepared on net-metering a renewable energy power system with City Public Service in San Antonio.  CPS refers to this as "distributed generation" and I use Shell solar information, my experience as a vendor and CPS's contract information in my presentation.
                            This presentation was prepared using MS PowerPoint.  I first used it for a presentation at the First Unitarian Church of San Antonio's Sunday morning Forum group.  I thought it went quite well and I ended up staying late answering questions and speaking to people interested in this topic.

                            Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

                            Our new address is:
                            SBT Designs
                            25581 IH-10 West
                            San Antonio, Texas 78257