Re: [hreg] solar air conditioning

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
      Solar adsorption refrigeration works like this (other chemistries are available too):
      A brine solution (LiBr in water) flows through solar plates and heats up.  Steam (pure water vapor) and hot concentrated brine is generated.  The two are phase separated - liquid and vapor.
      The steam goes to an ambient condenser where it is cooled to ambient temperature liquid, then it is passed through a valve where there is a vacuum on the other side, and then it goes to the evaporator that is cooling the air of the building.  The water evaporates in the condenser at a slight vacuum, which means the temperature is about 60 degF (other chemistries can get colder). Now, the water that has been evaporated is mixed back with the concentrated brine.  The concentrated brine sucks the water vapor into it (adsorbs it) so we have a liquid phase again.  Then the cycle repeats.

      How it is different than a standard house AC system?  The cooling of both systems works by evaporation.  What is different is how the evaporated vapor returns to the liquid state.  In a freon system, a compressor pressurizes the vapor until in condenses - very energy intensive.  In the adsorption system, a brine adsorbes the vapor back into the liquid state.

      Could you make an adsorption system yourself?  Sure.  The adsortion system requires the following equipment:
      1)  Liquid/liquid heat exchanger between the concentrated and dilute brine.
      2)  Solar collector to evaporate the brine solution.
      3)  Hot receiver to collect and separate the hot brine.
      4)  Ambient cooler (air) to condense the evaporated water.
      5)  Evaporator to cool the house air.
      6)  Receiver to remix the water vapor and concentrated brine
      7)  Ambient cooler (air) to cool the remix receiver.
      8)  Pump to bring the brine back up to pressure.
      As usual, when renewable energy is used, the system has a lower operating cost, but has a higher capital cost.

      There are some nifty systems that other people have designed.  I saw one system for remote villages, where the machine made ice by day and regenerated itself at night. The villagers could pick up ice as needed for their homes.  (Bashir, was that one of your projects?)

      Hope that helps,
      Chris

      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
        I want to install a PV system on my house too, however, I hesitate to tackle the project alone or at the mercy of a vendor.  Is there anyone else in this group that would like to put PV on their home.  Maybe we can get together and share what we learn, buy stuff in bulk so as to get a discount, or even share work on the installation.
        -Chris
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
          I hear that Major White is concerned about the environment - so perhaps
          there is hope yet?

          Or perhaps next time there is an election we can have a who-is-for
          renewable energy publized on our site?

          Roxanne Boyer wrote:

          > It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the
          > value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax
          > appraisal.

        • Jim & Janet
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
            Andrew wrote:
            The web is plastered with all manner of low-service, low-margin discount shops that will be glad to drop-ship you whatever components you think you need.

            Another thing to consider, if you do happen to find a great deal on a 'new' or used inverter, PV etc. thru Ebay or anywhere else, most reputable installers (1) will not install it if they didn't order it themselves (2) sure won't give a minutes warranty coverage for any product they cannot trace to the mfgr.
            Often there is nothing more expensive than a deal too good to pass up.
            Jim Duncan
            North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
              Chris:
              If you need any help we are here to help people. Currently, we are engaged in three international projects abroad, where we have better success as Consultants rather than locally.

              Bashir A. Syed
              VicePresident, R&D
              (Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, HREG and More)
              EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
              (A Renewable Energy Consulting Company)
              1120 NASA Road One, Suite 220
              Houston, TX 77058

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                Our Website is down, and we are in the process of updating and getting it reactivated. Thanks!

                Bashir
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004

                  Roxanne,

                  Indeed, that’s about it.  Damning with faint praise at best.

                  Andrew H. McCalla

                  Meridian Energy Systems

                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                  Austin, TX   78704

                  (512) 448-0055

                  (512) 448-0045

                  www.meridiansolar.com

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                      I think there is some federal income tax credit, or more likely deduction, but I don't know the details.

                      Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                          Be sure toask your electric utility what incentives they offer, but you may have to dig for that info. I discovered that TXU has a one-time per kW rated payment.
                          Jim

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 19, 2004
                            I believe the "at the mercy" comment mostly indicated a desire to
                            understand more about PVs so as not to feel helpless and totally
                            dependent upon others.

                            I agree with Andrew's recommendation of the SEI PV course. It
                            should give you a comfortable knowledge of PVs, and perhaps even a
                            greater appreciation of a vendor's possible assistance.

                            You do not have to choose between 100% vendor and 100% Do It
                            Yourself. I'm sure that most vendors are happier with educated
                            customers and those that are more interested in involvement.

                            I believe that www.homepower.com still offers free pdf downloads of
                            their latest issue, and I urge you to subscribe and consume.

                            I live in Houston, have PVs on my home, and will be glad to have
                            discussions with anyone seriously interested in installing PVs or
                            who have an existing system. And Andrew, when you're in town with
                            extra time, let's have lunch.
                          • Roxanne Boyer
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                              I greatly appreciate the vendors who have advised us on this group.  Installing a PV system involves a rather large cost, and so I want to know more about what I am doing.  I believe the vendors can design and install excellent systems, but that is only part of the work - interconnection with the grid and building permits are the other part.  I also want to shop around and get other people's opinions about the best vendors to use.

                              It left a negative impression on me when I called Southwest PV last year and asked what I needed to do to put PV on my house.  The salesman replied, "just buy our system".  I asked about interconnection with the utility and building permits, and he replied that he was not aware that I would need to do anything.  I know now that I would have gotten into a lot of trouble if I took his advice.

                              Would someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with interconnection and permitting like to make a presentation during an HREG meeting?  I think it would make a good topic.

                              Thanks,

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                                I have a presentation prepared on net-metering a renewable energy power system with City Public Service in San Antonio.  CPS refers to this as "distributed generation" and I use Shell solar information, my experience as a vendor and CPS's contract information in my presentation.
                                This presentation was prepared using MS PowerPoint.  I first used it for a presentation at the First Unitarian Church of San Antonio's Sunday morning Forum group.  I thought it went quite well and I ended up staying late answering questions and speaking to people interested in this topic.

                                Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

                                Our new address is:
                                SBT Designs
                                25581 IH-10 West
                                San Antonio, Texas 78257