Re: [hreg] solar air conditioning

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
      Greetings Lavern,
      Please see inserted comments.

      At 09:52 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
      >Kim:
      >
      >Hydronic cooling and geothermal cooling are entirely two different types
      >of systems. One system ( a hydronic type) I don't recommend, exposes cold
      >piping (in summer, hot in winter) in a trough high along the walls inside
      >your house to convective air streams. They of course can have terrible
      >mold problems in humid climates because of their constant sweating during
      >the cooling season. There are other types of hydronic systems, but the
      >one I described above probably is a type that you are receiving mold
      >problems about.

      Actually, I use a hydronic system and no, I have no mold problems with
      it. The real trick to this system is to not have too much differential
      between ambient and cooling temperature. Also to have a trough that can be
      easily cleaned. The main value of this system is to prevent heat build up
      in your solar mass in the home. While the solar mass is great in the
      winter, I don't want it to hold heat in the summer, so hydronics do work
      very well as part of the passive solar.

      >Except it could be that the geothermal tube system that people are
      >describing are some of the "Cool Tube" systems that used buried large
      >diameter tubes through which they would circulate air to pick up cooling
      >from ground tube connection with the cooler earth. Please don't attempt
      >this here. It is only applicable. at best, in very dry climates as it
      >sets up conditions here that are excellent for the growth of the
      >Legionnaire's disease bacteria.

      Yes, this is the type of install that I had heard of having real problems.
      snip
      >Anyway, the reason for relating this short story is to help keep people
      from making the same mistakes >other before them have made, i.e.,
      reinventing the wheel. There are people like myself out there with a >vast
      storehouse of experience and knowledge that is readily available to those
      who need and what it >for a reasonable hourly fee. Unless the time expense
      involved in doing in-depth research and the >financial expense of going
      down blind alleys is a source of immense enjoyment, people like myself >can
      be of real benefit to people like you. If only to eliminate some of the
      confusion that comes with >exploring unfamiliar territory so that you can
      focus on what can really benefit you and the other >important matters in life.

      The problem is what you consider a reasonable fee and what someone who's
      entire income is $500/month consider reasonable. Do you have the
      information on how to build the system or does it require hiring
      someone? I am looking for low tech systems that can be owner built, since
      everything else is too much money for the people who need it. I do believe
      that the important matters in life are helping our elderly live a better
      life, I hate it when I see them having to choose between being cool and eating.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      >Hope this helps.
      >
      >LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
      >architect & building ecologist
      ><mailto:laverne@...>laverne@...
      >ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
      >5828 Langfield Road
      >Houston, TX 77092-1429
      >713.528.0000
      >866.815.2527 toll free
      ><http://www.environmentassoc.com>www.environmentassoc.com
      >Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture since 1975
    • Mike Ewert
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
        There is a solar refrigeration/AC group on Yahoo groups. I have not
        participated but I know it exists.

        Mike

        Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

> [...]

        someone? I am looking for low tech systems that can be owner built, since
        everything else is too much money for the people who need it. I do believe
        that the important matters in life are helping our elderly live a better
        life, I hate it when I see them having to choose between being cool and
        eating.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        >Hope this helps.
        >
        >LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
        >architect & building ecologist
        ><mailto:laverne@...>laverne@...
        >ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
        >5828 Langfield Road
        >Houston, TX 77092-1429
        >713.528.0000
        >866.815.2527 toll free
        ><http://www.environmentassoc.com>www.environmentassoc.com
        >Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture since

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
          Thanks Mike, I will check it out.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          At 07:38 AM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
          >There is a solar refrigeration/AC group on Yahoo groups. I have not
          >participated but I know it exists.
          >
          >Mike
          >

          >Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

        • burner_22
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 17, 2004
            Howdy Folks,

            I just joined this group a couple of days ago. I have been thinking about installing a 5Kw PV
            cells in my home and have been looking at the incetives from local governments. Unfortunelty I can
            not find any, does anyone know if Houston, the state of Texas, or the Federal govt. have any
            grants iniciatives, rebates if i do decide to install a PV system?

            http://vote.yahoo.com
          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 17, 2004
              Welcome aboard,

              This would be your best resource for reviewing incentives in and around
              Texas:

              http://www.dsireusa.org/

              Andrew H. McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems
              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
              Austin, TX 78704

              (512) 448-0055
              (512) 448-0045
              www.meridiansolar.com

              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax appraisal.

                I just joined this group a couple of days ago. I have been thinking about
                installing a 5Kw PV
                cells in my home and have been looking at the incetives from local
                governments. Unfortunelty I can
                not find any, does anyone know if Houston, the state of Texas, or the
                Federal govt. have any
                grants iniciatives, rebates if i do decide to install a PV system?

                [Scanned by AwesomeNet Anti-Virus]
              • Roxanne Boyer
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                  Solar adsorption refrigeration works like this (other chemistries are available too):
                  A brine solution (LiBr in water) flows through solar plates and heats up.  Steam (pure water vapor) and hot concentrated brine is generated.  The two are phase separated - liquid and vapor.
                  The steam goes to an ambient condenser where it is cooled to ambient temperature liquid, then it is passed through a valve where there is a vacuum on the other side, and then it goes to the evaporator that is cooling the air of the building.  The water evaporates in the condenser at a slight vacuum, which means the temperature is about 60 degF (other chemistries can get colder). Now, the water that has been evaporated is mixed back with the concentrated brine.  The concentrated brine sucks the water vapor into it (adsorbs it) so we have a liquid phase again.  Then the cycle repeats.

                  How it is different than a standard house AC system?  The cooling of both systems works by evaporation.  What is different is how the evaporated vapor returns to the liquid state.  In a freon system, a compressor pressurizes the vapor until in condenses - very energy intensive.  In the adsorption system, a brine adsorbes the vapor back into the liquid state.

                  Could you make an adsorption system yourself?  Sure.  The adsortion system requires the following equipment:
                  1)  Liquid/liquid heat exchanger between the concentrated and dilute brine.
                  2)  Solar collector to evaporate the brine solution.
                  3)  Hot receiver to collect and separate the hot brine.
                  4)  Ambient cooler (air) to condense the evaporated water.
                  5)  Evaporator to cool the house air.
                  6)  Receiver to remix the water vapor and concentrated brine
                  7)  Ambient cooler (air) to cool the remix receiver.
                  8)  Pump to bring the brine back up to pressure.
                  As usual, when renewable energy is used, the system has a lower operating cost, but has a higher capital cost.

                  There are some nifty systems that other people have designed.  I saw one system for remote villages, where the machine made ice by day and regenerated itself at night. The villagers could pick up ice as needed for their homes.  (Bashir, was that one of your projects?)

                  Hope that helps,
                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                    I want to install a PV system on my house too, however, I hesitate to tackle the project alone or at the mercy of a vendor.  Is there anyone else in this group that would like to put PV on their home.  Maybe we can get together and share what we learn, buy stuff in bulk so as to get a discount, or even share work on the installation.
                    -Chris

                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                      I hear that Major White is concerned about the environment - so perhaps
                      there is hope yet?

                      Or perhaps next time there is an election we can have a who-is-for
                      renewable energy publized on our site?

                      Roxanne Boyer wrote:

                      > It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the
                      > value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax
                      > appraisal.

                    • Jim & Janet
                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                        Andrew wrote:
                        The web is plastered with all manner of low-service, low-margin discount shops that will be glad to drop-ship you whatever components you think you need.

                        Another thing to consider, if you do happen to find a great deal on a 'new' or used inverter, PV etc. thru Ebay or anywhere else, most reputable installers (1) will not install it if they didn't order it themselves (2) sure won't give a minutes warranty coverage for any product they cannot trace to the mfgr.
                        Often there is nothing more expensive than a deal too good to pass up.
                        Jim Duncan
                        North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                          Chris:
                          If you need any help we are here to help people. Currently, we are engaged in three international projects abroad, where we have better success as Consultants rather than locally.

                          Bashir A. Syed
                          VicePresident, R&D
                          (Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, HREG and More)
                          EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                          (A Renewable Energy Consulting Company)
                          1120 NASA Road One, Suite 220
                          Houston, TX 77058

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                            Our Website is down, and we are in the process of updating and getting it reactivated. Thanks!

                            Bashir
                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004

                              Roxanne,

                              Indeed, that’s about it.  Damning with faint praise at best.

                              Andrew H. McCalla

                              Meridian Energy Systems

                              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                              Austin, TX   78704

                              (512) 448-0055

                              (512) 448-0045

                              www.meridiansolar.com

                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                                  I think there is some federal income tax credit, or more likely deduction, but I don't know the details.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                                      Be sure toask your electric utility what incentives they offer, but you may have to dig for that info. I discovered that TXU has a one-time per kW rated payment.
                                      Jim

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 19, 2004
                                        I believe the "at the mercy" comment mostly indicated a desire to
                                        understand more about PVs so as not to feel helpless and totally
                                        dependent upon others.

                                        I agree with Andrew's recommendation of the SEI PV course. It
                                        should give you a comfortable knowledge of PVs, and perhaps even a
                                        greater appreciation of a vendor's possible assistance.

                                        You do not have to choose between 100% vendor and 100% Do It
                                        Yourself. I'm sure that most vendors are happier with educated
                                        customers and those that are more interested in involvement.

                                        I believe that www.homepower.com still offers free pdf downloads of
                                        their latest issue, and I urge you to subscribe and consume.

                                        I live in Houston, have PVs on my home, and will be glad to have
                                        discussions with anyone seriously interested in installing PVs or
                                        who have an existing system. And Andrew, when you're in town with
                                        extra time, let's have lunch.
                                      • Roxanne Boyer
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                                          I greatly appreciate the vendors who have advised us on this group.  Installing a PV system involves a rather large cost, and so I want to know more about what I am doing.  I believe the vendors can design and install excellent systems, but that is only part of the work - interconnection with the grid and building permits are the other part.  I also want to shop around and get other people's opinions about the best vendors to use.

                                          It left a negative impression on me when I called Southwest PV last year and asked what I needed to do to put PV on my house.  The salesman replied, "just buy our system".  I asked about interconnection with the utility and building permits, and he replied that he was not aware that I would need to do anything.  I know now that I would have gotten into a lot of trouble if I took his advice.

                                          Would someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with interconnection and permitting like to make a presentation during an HREG meeting?  I think it would make a good topic.

                                          Thanks,

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                                            I have a presentation prepared on net-metering a renewable energy power system with City Public Service in San Antonio.  CPS refers to this as "distributed generation" and I use Shell solar information, my experience as a vendor and CPS's contract information in my presentation.
                                            This presentation was prepared using MS PowerPoint.  I first used it for a presentation at the First Unitarian Church of San Antonio's Sunday morning Forum group.  I thought it went quite well and I ended up staying late answering questions and speaking to people interested in this topic.

                                            Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

                                            Our new address is:
                                            SBT Designs
                                            25581 IH-10 West
                                            San Antonio, Texas 78257