Re: [hreg] solar air conditioning

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 15, 2004
      5:17pm, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

      > I have looked into to it very carefully. Our land, 4 feet down is 65F even
      > in the summer, which one could use for hydronic cooling, provided you have
      > a way of getting rid of the heat that goes back into the land. I do use
      > this on a small scale, running pipes under garden beds that circulate in
      > the floor. However, this is a system that does rely heavily on moving
      > parts, which means that service and replacement are a constant.

      More heavily than a solar system? Or for that matter, a traditional AC
      system?

      > I have yet to talk to anyone who has put in the geothermal tubes
      > underground that has not wound up with a major mold and mildew
      > problem. Granted I have only talked to 6 people who have the system, and
      > at first they thought it was great, but by the time the system was 5 years
      > old, they had problems developing. Since my hubby is very allergic to both
      > mold and mildew, I decided that does not sound like a great idea.

      It's my understanding that mold and mildew are typically signs that an AC
      system is overpowered--that is, that it cools so efficiently that the
      cooling cycle is too short to get rid of the moisture in the air. Or the
      building being cooled is sealed too well, and there is no provision for
      bringing in outside air (which would usually be done through a heat
      exchanger for efficiency).
      Both of these causes are independent of the cooling source (solar,
      geothermal, or traditional).
      Or am I missing something?

      > I am toying with the idea of a modified Canadian AC. The term 'Canadian
      > AC' comes from the summer of 1980, when Edmonton Alberta Canada had a heat
      > wave. Large blocks of ice were put in front of fans, everywhere including
      > shopping malls to cool. I have been looking at the icy balls from the
      > 1930s and their modern update, using a funnel solar cooker perhaps as the
      > heat source with a fan to circulate the cool. For information on icy balls
      > see http://www.ggw.org/~cac/IcyBall/crosley_icyball.html
      > or the modern version
      > http://www.homepower.com/files/solarice.pdf
      >
      > While this is not luxury cooling by thermostat, to many of the seniors that
      > are living in hot homes, this could be a life saver, literally. Also, many
      > young families out here in the boondocks have no AC. I got interested in
      > this while looking for a cooling system for a root cellar and so for the
      > more affluent, it still has merit especially if one likes to brew their own
      > beer or wine.
      >
      > If someone has better ideas, I would love to hear them.
      >
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >

      > At 04:57 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
      > >Out of curiousity: have you looked at geothermal cooling? I know there are
      > >some specific costs there that are hard to get around (the digging, mainly),
      > >but it seems like geothermal would be a lot simpler than solar.
      > >
      > >4:37pm, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:
      > >
      > > > I am finding that this is a real problem with many things, such as jet
      > > > septic systems, they are designed to break. Thank you for posting your
      > > > evaluation of his system.
      > > >
      > > > I was hoping to start a dialogue on the systems themselves, not where to
      > > > buy a ready made one. Ready made is too expensive for most people, and I
      > > > am hoping to be able to put something together to help some of the seniors
      > > > here where I live. Many of the seniors barely keep their place at 80F
      > > > since they can't afford the electric bill. We do not have any code issues
      > > > on anything in my part of the world. I would like a system for myself, as
      > > > well. I have figured out how to get off grid and be sustainable with one
      > > > problem, the AC. A standard AC system really hurts on the electric
      > > > consumption and there really does have to be a better way to do this.
      > > >
      > > > Bright Blessings,
      > > > Kim

      Theists think all gods but theirs are false.
      Atheists simply don't make an exception for the last one.
    • lavernewilliams
      Message 2 of 29 , Sep 15, 2004
        Kim:

        Hydronic cooling and geothermal cooling are entirely two different types of systems.  One system ( a hydronic type) I don't recommend, exposes cold piping (in summer, hot in winter) in a trough high along the walls inside your house to convective air streams.  They of course can have terrible mold problems in humid climates because of their constant sweating during the cooling season.  There are other types of hydronic systems, but the one I described above probably is a type that you are receiving mold problems about.

        Except it could be that the geothermal tube system that people are describing are some of the "Cool Tube" systems that used buried large diameter tubes through which they would circulate air to pick up cooling from ground tube connection with the cooler earth.  Please don't attempt this here.  It is only applicable. at best, in very dry climates as it sets up conditions here that are excellent for the growth of the Legionnaire's disease bacteria.

        Also see my other comments in green (turn on your text formatting to Rich Text HTML) in your original email below.

        Concerning the both closed loop and open loop geothermal systems that circulate water (usually with an anti-corrosion inhibitor) as the coolant, I have had some installed for about 20 years and have designed at least 20 homes that use them, and no-one has reported a mold problem with the system.  So there must be some miscommunication somewhere.

        Here's some other history that may be helpful.  One of the co-founders of the Houston Solar Energy Society with me and three others in 1975 was an engineer who's company did contract work with NASA.  Whereas I pursued passive solar techniques for Southern Climates, he went the active solar route.  In his pursuit of active solar technology, he devised a solar assisted cooling system that included a solar water heating collector with a spray bar into his swimming pool that was used to cool the refrigerant for the conventional air source A/C system for his house.  Don't ask me to describe it any further as I don't remember the details, except it worked somewhat, but not well enough commercially to market it.  He kept tinkering with it, but 5 years later, when he wanted a retirement home on Canyon Lake, he said to me:  "LaVerne, you were right all along.  Passive (Solar) design is the most cost effective way to heat and cool our homes, design my retirement home for me," which I did.

        Anyway, the reason for relating this short story is to help keep people from making the same mistakes other before them have made, i.e., reinventing the wheel.  There are people like myself out there with a vast storehouse of experience and knowledge that is readily available to those who need and what it for a reasonable hourly fee.  Unless the time expense involved in doing in-depth research and the financial expense of going down blind alleys is a source of immense enjoyment, people like myself can be of real benefit to people like you.  If only to eliminate some of the confusion that comes with exploring unfamiliar territory so that you can focus on what can really benefit you and the other important matters in life.

        Hope this helps.

        LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
        architect & building ecologist
        laverne@...
        ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
        5828 Langfield Road
        Houston, TX 77092-1429
        713.528.0000
        866.815.2527 toll free
        www.environmentassoc.com
        Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture since 1975
        1. I have looked into to it very carefully.  Our land, 4 feet down is 65F even
          in the summer, which one could use for hydronic cooling, provided you have
          a way of getting rid of the heat that goes back into the land. (Using plants (preferably plants that provide edible products) overhead the piping could provide transpirational cooling and shading for the ground below)  I do use
          this on a small scale, running pipes under garden beds that circulate in
          the floor.  However, this is a system that does rely heavily on moving
          parts, which means that service and replacement are a constant.

          I have yet to talk to anyone who has put in the geothermal tubes
          underground (they must be circulating air though these into the house) that has not wound up with a major mold and mildew
[...]

          beer or wine.  (Any system that adds water vapour to the air will only promote mold growth in our climate. That's why "swamp" coolers don't work here except for greenhouse where the growth of mold is not a concern.)

          At 04:57 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
          >Out of curiousity: have you looked at geothermal cooling? I know there are
          >some specific costs there that are hard to get around (the digging, mainly),
          >but it seems like geothermal would be a lot simpler than solar.
          >
          >4:37pm, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:
          >
          > > I am finding that this is a real problem with many things, such as jet
          > > septic systems, they are designed to break.  Thank you for posting your
          > > evaluation of his system.
          > >
          > > I was hoping to start a dialogue on the systems themselves, not where to
          > > buy a ready made one.  Ready made is too expensive for most people, and I
          > > am hoping to be able to put something together to help some of the seniors
          > > here where I live.  Many of the seniors barely keep their place at 80F
          > > since they can't afford the electric bill.  We do not have any code issues
          > > on anything in my part of the world.  I would like a system for myself, as
          > > well.  I have figured out how to get off grid and be sustainable with one
          > > problem, the AC.  A standard AC system really hurts on the electric
          > > consumption and there really does have to be a better way to do this.
          > >
          > > Bright Blessings,
          > > Kim
          > >
          > > At 04:23 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
          > > >I know Larry Bowers personally and professionally.  Larry is a good man, a
          > > >wizened mechanical engineer and he has been trying to retire for the last
          > > >two years.
          > > >
          > > >I am not that impressed with his design for water heating or for space
          > > >heating/cooling using solar.  Larry's systems are designed to require
          > > >periodic maintenance and he uses materials that do not hold up.  His
          > > >products are made this way in order to guarantee follow up and service
          > > >business on his systems.  It is a solid marketing strategy but not a
          > > >sustainable product.
          > > >
          > > >I have already made one offer on the purchase of Larry's business and I
          > > >hope we can consumate a deal in the near future.
          > > >
          > > >Our new address is:
          > > >SBT Designs
          > > >25581 IH-10 West
          > > >San Antonio, Texas 78257
          > > >210-698-7109
          > > >FAX: 210-698-7147
          > > ><http://www.sbtdesigns.com>www.sbtdesigns.com

      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
          Greetings Lavern,
          Please see inserted comments.

          At 09:52 PM 9/15/2004, you wrote:
          >Kim:
          >
          >Hydronic cooling and geothermal cooling are entirely two different types
          >of systems. One system ( a hydronic type) I don't recommend, exposes cold
          >piping (in summer, hot in winter) in a trough high along the walls inside
          >your house to convective air streams. They of course can have terrible
          >mold problems in humid climates because of their constant sweating during
          >the cooling season. There are other types of hydronic systems, but the
          >one I described above probably is a type that you are receiving mold
          >problems about.

          Actually, I use a hydronic system and no, I have no mold problems with
          it. The real trick to this system is to not have too much differential
          between ambient and cooling temperature. Also to have a trough that can be
          easily cleaned. The main value of this system is to prevent heat build up
          in your solar mass in the home. While the solar mass is great in the
          winter, I don't want it to hold heat in the summer, so hydronics do work
          very well as part of the passive solar.

          >Except it could be that the geothermal tube system that people are
          >describing are some of the "Cool Tube" systems that used buried large
          >diameter tubes through which they would circulate air to pick up cooling
          >from ground tube connection with the cooler earth. Please don't attempt
          >this here. It is only applicable. at best, in very dry climates as it
          >sets up conditions here that are excellent for the growth of the
          >Legionnaire's disease bacteria.

          Yes, this is the type of install that I had heard of having real problems.
          snip
          >Anyway, the reason for relating this short story is to help keep people
          from making the same mistakes >other before them have made, i.e.,
          reinventing the wheel. There are people like myself out there with a >vast
          storehouse of experience and knowledge that is readily available to those
          who need and what it >for a reasonable hourly fee. Unless the time expense
          involved in doing in-depth research and the >financial expense of going
          down blind alleys is a source of immense enjoyment, people like myself >can
          be of real benefit to people like you. If only to eliminate some of the
          confusion that comes with >exploring unfamiliar territory so that you can
          focus on what can really benefit you and the other >important matters in life.

          The problem is what you consider a reasonable fee and what someone who's
          entire income is $500/month consider reasonable. Do you have the
          information on how to build the system or does it require hiring
          someone? I am looking for low tech systems that can be owner built, since
          everything else is too much money for the people who need it. I do believe
          that the important matters in life are helping our elderly live a better
          life, I hate it when I see them having to choose between being cool and eating.

          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          >Hope this helps.
          >
          >LaVerne A. Williams, AIA, LEED AP
          >architect & building ecologist
          ><mailto:laverne@...>laverne@...
          >ENVIRONMENT ASSOCIATES, Architects & Consultants
          >5828 Langfield Road
          >Houston, TX 77092-1429
          >713.528.0000
          >866.815.2527 toll free
          ><http://www.environmentassoc.com>www.environmentassoc.com
          >Leadership in Healthy, High Performance Homes / Green Architecture since 1975
        • Mike Ewert
          Message 4 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
            There is a solar refrigeration/AC group on Yahoo groups. I have not
            participated but I know it exists.

            Mike

            Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

            Message 5 of 29 , Sep 16, 2004
              Thanks Mike, I will check it out.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              At 07:38 AM 9/16/2004, you wrote:
              >There is a solar refrigeration/AC group on Yahoo groups. I have not
              >participated but I know it exists.
              >
              >Mike
              >

              >Being Christian is not going from bad to good, but from death to life.

            • burner_22
              Message 6 of 29 , Sep 17, 2004
                Howdy Folks,

                I just joined this group a couple of days ago. I have been thinking about installing a 5Kw PV
                cells in my home and have been looking at the incetives from local governments. Unfortunelty I can
                not find any, does anyone know if Houston, the state of Texas, or the Federal govt. have any
                grants iniciatives, rebates if i do decide to install a PV system?

                http://vote.yahoo.com
              • Andrew McCalla
                Message 7 of 29 , Sep 17, 2004
                  Welcome aboard,

                  This would be your best resource for reviewing incentives in and around
                  Texas:

                  http://www.dsireusa.org/

                  Andrew H. McCalla
                  Meridian Energy Systems
                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
                  Austin, TX 78704

                  (512) 448-0055
                  (512) 448-0045
                  www.meridiansolar.com

                  Message 8 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                    It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax appraisal.

                    I just joined this group a couple of days ago. I have been thinking about
                    installing a 5Kw PV
                    cells in my home and have been looking at the incetives from local
                    governments. Unfortunelty I can
                    not find any, does anyone know if Houston, the state of Texas, or the
                    Federal govt. have any
                    grants iniciatives, rebates if i do decide to install a PV system?

                    [Scanned by AwesomeNet Anti-Virus]
                  • Roxanne Boyer
                    Message 9 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                      Solar adsorption refrigeration works like this (other chemistries are available too):
                      A brine solution (LiBr in water) flows through solar plates and heats up.  Steam (pure water vapor) and hot concentrated brine is generated.  The two are phase separated - liquid and vapor.
                      The steam goes to an ambient condenser where it is cooled to ambient temperature liquid, then it is passed through a valve where there is a vacuum on the other side, and then it goes to the evaporator that is cooling the air of the building.  The water evaporates in the condenser at a slight vacuum, which means the temperature is about 60 degF (other chemistries can get colder). Now, the water that has been evaporated is mixed back with the concentrated brine.  The concentrated brine sucks the water vapor into it (adsorbs it) so we have a liquid phase again.  Then the cycle repeats.

                      How it is different than a standard house AC system?  The cooling of both systems works by evaporation.  What is different is how the evaporated vapor returns to the liquid state.  In a freon system, a compressor pressurizes the vapor until in condenses - very energy intensive.  In the adsorption system, a brine adsorbes the vapor back into the liquid state.

                      Could you make an adsorption system yourself?  Sure.  The adsortion system requires the following equipment:
                      1)  Liquid/liquid heat exchanger between the concentrated and dilute brine.
                      2)  Solar collector to evaporate the brine solution.
                      3)  Hot receiver to collect and separate the hot brine.
                      4)  Ambient cooler (air) to condense the evaporated water.
                      5)  Evaporator to cool the house air.
                      6)  Receiver to remix the water vapor and concentrated brine
                      7)  Ambient cooler (air) to cool the remix receiver.
                      8)  Pump to bring the brine back up to pressure.
                      As usual, when renewable energy is used, the system has a lower operating cost, but has a higher capital cost.

                      There are some nifty systems that other people have designed.  I saw one system for remote villages, where the machine made ice by day and regenerated itself at night. The villagers could pick up ice as needed for their homes.  (Bashir, was that one of your projects?)

                      Hope that helps,
                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                        I want to install a PV system on my house too, however, I hesitate to tackle the project alone or at the mercy of a vendor.  Is there anyone else in this group that would like to put PV on their home.  Maybe we can get together and share what we learn, buy stuff in bulk so as to get a discount, or even share work on the installation.
                        -Chris

                        Message 11 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                          I hear that Major White is concerned about the environment - so perhaps
                          there is hope yet?

                          Or perhaps next time there is an election we can have a who-is-for
                          renewable energy publized on our site?

                          Roxanne Boyer wrote:

                          > It looks like the only incentives for the Houston area are that the
                          > value of the renewable system in not included in the Property tax
                          > appraisal.

                        • Jim & Janet
                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                            Andrew wrote:
                            The web is plastered with all manner of low-service, low-margin discount shops that will be glad to drop-ship you whatever components you think you need.

                            Another thing to consider, if you do happen to find a great deal on a 'new' or used inverter, PV etc. thru Ebay or anywhere else, most reputable installers (1) will not install it if they didn't order it themselves (2) sure won't give a minutes warranty coverage for any product they cannot trace to the mfgr.
                            Often there is nothing more expensive than a deal too good to pass up.
                            Jim Duncan
                            North Texas Renewable Energy Inc.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                              Chris:
                              If you need any help we are here to help people. Currently, we are engaged in three international projects abroad, where we have better success as Consultants rather than locally.

                              Bashir A. Syed
                              VicePresident, R&D
                              (Member: APS, IEEE, ASES, HREG and More)
                              EnerTech Enterprises, Inc.
                              (A Renewable Energy Consulting Company)
                              1120 NASA Road One, Suite 220
                              Houston, TX 77058

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                                Our Website is down, and we are in the process of updating and getting it reactivated. Thanks!

                                Bashir
                                Message 15 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004

                                  Roxanne,

                                  Indeed, that’s about it.  Damning with faint praise at best.

                                  Andrew H. McCalla

                                  Meridian Energy Systems

                                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

                                  Austin, TX   78704

                                  (512) 448-0055

                                  (512) 448-0045

                                  www.meridiansolar.com

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                                      I think there is some federal income tax credit, or more likely deduction, but I don't know the details.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 18, 2004
                                          Be sure toask your electric utility what incentives they offer, but you may have to dig for that info. I discovered that TXU has a one-time per kW rated payment.
                                          Jim

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 19, 2004
                                            I believe the "at the mercy" comment mostly indicated a desire to
                                            understand more about PVs so as not to feel helpless and totally
                                            dependent upon others.

                                            I agree with Andrew's recommendation of the SEI PV course. It
                                            should give you a comfortable knowledge of PVs, and perhaps even a
                                            greater appreciation of a vendor's possible assistance.

                                            You do not have to choose between 100% vendor and 100% Do It
                                            Yourself. I'm sure that most vendors are happier with educated
                                            customers and those that are more interested in involvement.

                                            I believe that www.homepower.com still offers free pdf downloads of
                                            their latest issue, and I urge you to subscribe and consume.

                                            I live in Houston, have PVs on my home, and will be glad to have
                                            discussions with anyone seriously interested in installing PVs or
                                            who have an existing system. And Andrew, when you're in town with
                                            extra time, let's have lunch.
                                          • Roxanne Boyer
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                                              I greatly appreciate the vendors who have advised us on this group.  Installing a PV system involves a rather large cost, and so I want to know more about what I am doing.  I believe the vendors can design and install excellent systems, but that is only part of the work - interconnection with the grid and building permits are the other part.  I also want to shop around and get other people's opinions about the best vendors to use.

                                              It left a negative impression on me when I called Southwest PV last year and asked what I needed to do to put PV on my house.  The salesman replied, "just buy our system".  I asked about interconnection with the utility and building permits, and he replied that he was not aware that I would need to do anything.  I know now that I would have gotten into a lot of trouble if I took his advice.

                                              Would someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with interconnection and permitting like to make a presentation during an HREG meeting?  I think it would make a good topic.

                                              Thanks,

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Sep 20, 2004
                                                I have a presentation prepared on net-metering a renewable energy power system with City Public Service in San Antonio.  CPS refers to this as "distributed generation" and I use Shell solar information, my experience as a vendor and CPS's contract information in my presentation.
                                                This presentation was prepared using MS PowerPoint.  I first used it for a presentation at the First Unitarian Church of San Antonio's Sunday morning Forum group.  I thought it went quite well and I ended up staying late answering questions and speaking to people interested in this topic.

                                                Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

                                                Our new address is:
                                                SBT Designs
                                                25581 IH-10 West
                                                San Antonio, Texas 78257