Re: [hreg] Women's PV Installation Workshop

  • Texas Solar Energy Society
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
      Why women only? Many women have little or no electrical experience. Due to
      women's lack of training in technology, they may be weary of attending a
      coed course with men who have grown up using power tools. Providing a
      supportive learning atmosphere, an all-women workshop may help overcome the
      social, political and economic barriers that keep some women from entering
      the PV field. Special attention is paid to "practicums" about using tools,
      etc. prior to the installation days. Instructors verify their experience
      that in coed workshops, people tend to display socialized behavior patterns:
      men want to help women "fix it" rather than giving space and women tend to
      hang back and allow them.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
        Kim,

        I'll be glad to give it a shot. You needn't be amazed.

        We have been hosting workshops with SEI on an annual basis since 1997,
        one of which, four years ago, being a women's only version of the
        mainstay pv design and installation course.

        This gender-specific class was born not out the need to have different
        material; indeed it covered all the same material as the coed workshop.
        Instead it was created to respond to what was witnessed after decades of
        hands-on renewable energy education classes, which Kathryn has so very
        well explained in her previous email.

        For the record, most every other workshop SEI conducts is coed,
        satisfying Richard Kelley's hope for all learning to work together.

        For more information: www.solarenergy.org

        Andrew McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems
        2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
        Austin, TX 78704
        www.meridiansolar.com

        Voice: (512) 448-0055
        Fax: (512) 448-0045
      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
          While I can understand that there are people who do not know one end of a
          screwdriver from another, I have met a great number of men in this
          category, not just women. Why the sexual bias? Why not offer the course
          for the inexperienced tool user or as a super basic course that starts at
          the beginning? Are men that did not grow up using tools not to be included?

          I personally have found that since courses have started being offered for
          'women', that we are not as welcome in some of the regular classes, as we
          used to be. The one day seminars offered by Lowes and Home Depot are good
          examples of this. For those of us that are very experienced with tools
          etc., this is frustrating. I have no desire to be stuck in a beginners
          class because I am female.

          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

        • Andrew McCalla
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
            Kim,

            There seems to be a market for an environment that, through exclusively
            female participation, provides for an easier dissolution of inhibitions
            surrounding certain technologies.

            These environments are optional ones, so your desire to not be stuck
            into one of someone else's choosing will be honored, regardless of your
            gender.

            Andrew McCalla
            Meridian Energy Systems
            2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107