RE: [hreg] Women's PV Installation Workshop

  • Richard D. Kelley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
      Thank very much for pointing this out. Wouldn't we all be better off by learning to work together for a change. I think the days are long gone that women feel inferior.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
        Why women only? Many women have little or no electrical experience. Due to
        women's lack of training in technology, they may be weary of attending a
        coed course with men who have grown up using power tools. Providing a
        supportive learning atmosphere, an all-women workshop may help overcome the
        social, political and economic barriers that keep some women from entering
        the PV field. Special attention is paid to "practicums" about using tools,
        etc. prior to the installation days. Instructors verify their experience
        that in coed workshops, people tend to display socialized behavior patterns:
        men want to help women "fix it" rather than giving space and women tend to
        hang back and allow them.

        e@yahoogroups.com

        > > *
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Andrew McCalla
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
          Kim,

          I'll be glad to give it a shot. You needn't be amazed.

          We have been hosting workshops with SEI on an annual basis since 1997,
          one of which, four years ago, being a women's only version of the
          mainstay pv design and installation course.

          This gender-specific class was born not out the need to have different
          material; indeed it covered all the same material as the coed workshop.
          Instead it was created to respond to what was witnessed after decades of
          hands-on renewable energy education classes, which Kathryn has so very
          well explained in her previous email.

          For the record, most every other workshop SEI conducts is coed,
          satisfying Richard Kelley's hope for all learning to work together.

          For more information: www.solarenergy.org

          Andrew McCalla
          Meridian Energy Systems
          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
          Austin, TX 78704
          www.meridiansolar.com

          Voice: (512) 448-0055
          Fax: (512) 448-0045
        • Kim & Garth Travis
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
            While I can understand that there are people who do not know one end of a
            screwdriver from another, I have met a great number of men in this
            category, not just women. Why the sexual bias? Why not offer the course
            for the inexperienced tool user or as a super basic course that starts at
            the beginning? Are men that did not grow up using tools not to be included?

            I personally have found that since courses have started being offered for
            'women', that we are not as welcome in some of the regular classes, as we
            used to be. The one day seminars offered by Lowes and Home Depot are good
            examples of this. For those of us that are very experienced with tools
            etc., this is frustrating. I have no desire to be stuck in a beginners
            class because I am female.

            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
              Kim,

              There seems to be a market for an environment that, through exclusively
              female participation, provides for an easier dissolution of inhibitions
              surrounding certain technologies.

              These environments are optional ones, so your desire to not be stuck
              into one of someone else's choosing will be honored, regardless of your
              gender.

              Andrew McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems
              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107