Women's PV Installation Workshop

  • Texas Solar Energy Society
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
      A women's PV design & installation workshop is being held in Austin, June 30 - July 3.  (If you heard about this workshop before, this is a change in dates.)

      The workshop is being presented by Janet Hughes of Janet's Solar Electric, one of the instructors at the very popular, similar workshop held during the ASES conference in Austin.

      For more information, please contact Janet at 512-275-0557 or visit www.janetssolarelectric.com

      Kathryn Houser, Executive Director
      Texas Solar Energy Society
      PO Box 1447
      Austin, TX  78767-1447
      512-326-3391 OR 800-465-5049
    • Kim & Garth Travis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
        I am always amazed at courses like this, why do women need a separate
        class? Could someone explain this to me? Is there different material or
        something?
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim [female]

        At 09:45 AM 6/9/2004, you wrote:
        >A women's PV design & installation workshop is being held in Austin, June
        >30 - July 3. (If you heard about this workshop before, this is a change
        >in dates.)
        >
        >The workshop is being presented by Janet Hughes of Janet's Solar Electric,
        >one of the instructors at the very popular, similar workshop held during
        >the ASES conference in Austin.
        >
        >For more information, please contact Janet at 512-275-0557 or visit
        ><http://www.janetssolarelectric.com>www.janetssolarelectric.com
        >
        >Kathryn Houser, Executive Director
        >Texas Solar Energy Society
        >PO Box 1447
        >Austin, TX 78767-1447
        >512-326-3391 OR 800-465-5049
        >
        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129hs9cls/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=1705064177:HM/EXP=1086878746/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
        >click here
        >
        >[]

        > *
      • Richard D. Kelley
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
          Thank very much for pointing this out. Wouldn't we all be better off by learning to work together for a change. I think the days are long gone that women feel inferior.

          At 09:45 AM 6/9/2004, you wrote:
          >A women's PV design & installation workshop is being held in Austin, June
          >30 - July 3. (If you heard about this workshop before, this is a change
          >in dates.)
          >
          >The workshop is being presented by Janet Hughes of Janet's Solar Electric,
          >one of the instructors at the very popular, similar workshop held during
          >the ASES conference in Austin.
          >
          >For more information, please contact Janet at 512-275-0557 or visit
          ><http://www.janetssolarelectric.com>www.janetssolarelectric.com
          >
          >Kathryn Houser, Executive Director
          >Texas Solar Energy Society
          >PO Box 1447
          >Austin, TX 78767-1447
          >512-326-3391 OR 800-465-5049
          >
          >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          ><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129hs9cls/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=1705064177:HM/EXP=1086878746/A=2164330/R=0/SIG=11eamf8g4/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183350>
          >click here
          >
          >[]

          > *

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Texas Solar Energy Society
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
            Why women only? Many women have little or no electrical experience. Due to
            women's lack of training in technology, they may be weary of attending a
            coed course with men who have grown up using power tools. Providing a
            supportive learning atmosphere, an all-women workshop may help overcome the
            social, political and economic barriers that keep some women from entering
            the PV field. Special attention is paid to "practicums" about using tools,
            etc. prior to the installation days. Instructors verify their experience
            that in coed workshops, people tend to display socialized behavior patterns:
            men want to help women "fix it" rather than giving space and women tend to
            hang back and allow them.

            e@yahoogroups.com

            > > *
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Andrew McCalla
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
              Kim,

              I'll be glad to give it a shot. You needn't be amazed.

              We have been hosting workshops with SEI on an annual basis since 1997,
              one of which, four years ago, being a women's only version of the
              mainstay pv design and installation course.

              This gender-specific class was born not out the need to have different
              material; indeed it covered all the same material as the coed workshop.
              Instead it was created to respond to what was witnessed after decades of
              hands-on renewable energy education classes, which Kathryn has so very
              well explained in her previous email.

              For the record, most every other workshop SEI conducts is coed,
              satisfying Richard Kelley's hope for all learning to work together.

              For more information: www.solarenergy.org

              Andrew McCalla
              Meridian Energy Systems
              2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107
              Austin, TX 78704
              www.meridiansolar.com

              Voice: (512) 448-0055
              Fax: (512) 448-0045
            • Kim & Garth Travis
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
                While I can understand that there are people who do not know one end of a
                screwdriver from another, I have met a great number of men in this
                category, not just women. Why the sexual bias? Why not offer the course
                for the inexperienced tool user or as a super basic course that starts at
                the beginning? Are men that did not grow up using tools not to be included?

                I personally have found that since courses have started being offered for
                'women', that we are not as welcome in some of the regular classes, as we
                used to be. The one day seminars offered by Lowes and Home Depot are good
                examples of this. For those of us that are very experienced with tools
                etc., this is frustrating. I have no desire to be stuck in a beginners
                class because I am female.

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

              • Andrew McCalla
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 9, 2004
                  Kim,

                  There seems to be a market for an environment that, through exclusively
                  female participation, provides for an easier dissolution of inhibitions
                  surrounding certain technologies.

                  These environments are optional ones, so your desire to not be stuck
                  into one of someone else's choosing will be honored, regardless of your
                  gender.

                  Andrew McCalla
                  Meridian Energy Systems
                  2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107