Beat the heat

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25 8:57 PM
      When the AC in my house couldn't keep up with those high temps the past couple
      of weeks, I adapted the ideas from the lecture that Leonard Bachman gave at
      the last HREG meeting. I created a "sprinkler hat" made out of PVC that goes
      on the roof of the house. It uses 4 standard half-pattern sprinkler heads
      pointing out at 45 degree angles to cover the whole roof. Using all new part
      only cost $25 at Home Depot. I haven't built a controller yet, but to be able
      to run it continuously you need to turn it on for 10 seconds every 10 minutes,
      if my recollection from the meeting is right. It uses way too much water to be
      run continuously on all the time. I was soaking the roof for about 5 minutes
      every hour by hand. The temperature in the house would stay constant at
      whatever you set it and the AC run time was cut in half!

      I've attached a picture now that my scanner finally works. I took the picture
      before I painted it the same color as the ventilator so you could see it.
      After painting it, you can't even tell it's up there. My neighbor was confused
      because she saw water coming out of our gutters sometimes, but couldn't figure
      out why :-)

      James Ferrill
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26 7:38 AM
        "Cool"! I'd be interested in a follow-up note from you after you've
        acquired actual kilowatt-hour data for a couple months. If you can
        supply before and after data, it would be nice to know how well
        this really works. I'm intrigued by the idea.

        Robert Johnston

      • Environment Associates Architects
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26 9:42 AM
          James:
          I would be interested in finding out how much your water bill increased in
          proportion to your energy bill reduction. I also would like to know how
          long it took before you noticed mold or mildew growing growing on your
          composition shingles, which I suspect will happen.

          To prevent the mold and mildew growth, you might try stretching zinc wire or
          galvanized wire to run along the bottom edge of an upper row of shingles so
          that the zinc will act as a mildewcide as the water runs down the roof. Or
          there used to be a manufacturer who marketed zinc strips that were shoved up
          under a row of shingles leaving an exposed edge to do the same thing as the
          wire. I probably have it in my files if you are interested.

          Hope this helps.

          LaVerne Williams, AIA
          Architect & Building Ecologist
          Environment Associates, Architects & Consultants

          ----