BioDiesel and other fuels...what are you using?

  • Karl M. Bernard
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
      I've been doing some looking around at various practical ways to power cars in the Houston Metro area and was wondering what people think about these options. I would love to do mass transit, but there are currently no buses or rail to the Pearland area (although one of the proposals for SH 288 expansion includes the possibility).

      1) BioDiesel - looks interesting, appears to be easy to use with standard diesel equipment, but is hard to find locally. Can be homebrewed, but requires some very caustic chemicals.
      2) CNG - it seems a lot of industry-types have put a lot of effort into pushing this fuel. It is supposed to burn cleaner than gasoline, but I have issue with it that it is still a petroleum fuel. I would think more highly of it (and perhaps give it more consideration) if it were paired with other technologies such as hybrid systems.
      3) Hybrid (Gasoline/Electric) - I like this idea for mainstream automobiles and think there should be more aggressive government (tax) incentives at all levels (local through federal). I see this as a good way to leverage a lot of existing technologies.
      4) Straight Electric - this seems like a great idea, but the issue is overcoming the distance hurdle and making them as amenable as internal combustion powered cars. Then there's the availability and cost issue. I'd love to have an electric for going to work, but it would need to travel at least 50 miles a day, have all the safety features of my current car (ABS, airbags, etc), and have a functional A/C.
      5) Fuel Cell - cool sounding technology, but unless there's some way to get hydrogen with next to zero energy input, we might as well use the hydrogen cracking energy to power electric devices... I also don't like the government putting so many eggs in the hydrogen basket, while there are viable short-term alternatives to reduce consumption (hybrid, etc).

      What have you used? What do you like? I'm driving my 1994 Civic and getting 30+ mpg, but would like my next car to do better - hopefully by a lot. But I also want it to meet all my demands for safety and hopefully comfort as well. Perhaps I want too much...

      In general, I think there aren't enough incentives for the average user to economize, and there are too many incentives to guzzle like crazy. This is such a load of garbage...

      -------excerpts from SUV Nirvana (from CBSNews.com)-------
      http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/28/60minutes/main620223.shtml
      ----
      "Everybody who buys an SUV gets a tax break?
      ----
      "If they can say to the IRS that they are using that vehicle 50 percent of the time for work purposes," Robinson confirms.
      ---
      The tax break applies to vehicles over 6,000 pounds, which in the past meant things like delivery trucks. But today, it includes luxury mega-SUVs such as the Toyota Land Cruiser and Ford Excursion. What began as a $25,000 tax break grew to $100,000 when Congress passed the president's economic stimulus package last spring.
      Web sites that give tax advice are running headlines like this: "Why it may pay for your next business car to be a heavy SUV." And it's no surprise that auto dealers are also alerting customers to the new loophole.

      SUV tax cut
      Monday, May 19, 2003
      http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/122382_suv19.html

      Karl Bernard
    • Kim & Garth Travis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
        I actually like biofuels. A great web site for biofuels is
        www.journetoforever.org where they discuss all types of biofuels, not just
        biodiesel.

        Some cities and towns are using methane digesters to process the solid
        waste, creating a gas that is easy to run vehicles on, the further
        processing the waste with yard waste to make quality compost. A definite
        win/win situation.

        Some school districts have begun recycling the oil from their kitchens into
        biodeisel and running the school busses on it. The methanol that is used
        can be recaptured to be used again. The glycerine can either be composted
        or purrified to be added to soaps.

        To me the beauty of biofuels is that it does not require a bunch of new
        crops grown specifically for it, but that it can clean up the waste
        problems that we have, while giving us clean, renewable energy.

        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

      • Amanda Tullos
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
          You might check into this place. I haven't talked with them; but I figure
          Texas City isn't too far to go. Also, I think you can store Biodiesel on
          your property (lasts up to 6 months) without need for a license.

          Green Fuels, Inc.
          (409) 948-1704
          410 21st Street, South
          Texas City, TX 77590
          Public/limited times, call ahead for arrangements

          I ended up getting a hybrid, so I never finished researching the biosdiesel
          option. I do get a $2,000 tax deduction this year for owning a hybrid, which
          I am very happy about!

          Amanda Tullos
          atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

          Monday, May 19, 2003
          http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/122382_suv19.html

          Karl Bernard

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---
        • Mike Ewert
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2004
            Until pure electric gets better, hybrid does seem to me to be the best
            option.
            See http://www.fueleconomy.gov

            Monday, May 19, 2003