some low voltage electrolysis proof

  • Mike Johnston
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2004
      Hi,
      Here is a link to a .pdf document that shows electrolysis at 0.3 volts. Some things to note are that they are electrolyzing methanol and that is different than electrolyzing pure water BUT H2 is still being produced and in this instance it would be very hard to argue that a hydrogen fuel cell couldn't provide enough energy to run it. Or to run several in series. So it could produce it's own H2 fuel from methanol with H2 to spare. This is a NASA sponsored document so there really isn't a whole lot of room to argue it's validity or the professionalism of those conducting the tests (not with me anyway, argue those points with NASA).
      1) H2O steam, passed over carbon (or steam reforming of hydrocarbons) produces Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide and Hydrogen
      2)Carbon monoxide and Carbon dioxide react with hydrogen over a catalyst to produce methanol

      Link: http://www.methanol.org/pdf/JPL_DMFC.pdf

      Not exactly what I am working on but at least we see that you can produce hydrogen, by electrolysis at less voltage than is required to produce H2 from plain water and that more energy is derived from using that H2 in a fuel cell than is required to produce it. Or can't you? Electrolyzing water with an electrolyte is somewhat like this as the electrolyte helps to determine how much of a potential difference needs to be maintained in order for electrolysis to take place.
      MJ