Re: [hreg] PV Generator?

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 23, 2000
      Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

      > Hi,
      > We are getting to the point where we need a generator to run power tools
      > far from where we have power. Generators are noisy and don't smell
      > good. I was thinking of mounting a PV panel(s) on something that would
      > slip in my 4' x 8' trailer. A couple of batteries and an inverter and
      > I'm in business, I think. Any comments? Ideas? I believe my circular
      > saw needs about 10 amps, which is the heaviest draw I would be using.
      >
      > Kim

      Hey Kim,

      The system Kevin described is right on the money. The only thing I would add
      is make sure you get a good DC rated disconnect between the inverter and
      batteries, and make sure you use big enough cables to feed that inverter. 2/0
      ought to do for that application, and keep them short.

      Good luck with your project.

      James
    • Kevin L. Conlin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 23, 2000
        Hi Kim and Garth,

        Running power tools in remote areas using solar is very practical since you
        usually don't have a continuous load, but intermittent ones. This allows
        the solar panels to charge a relatively big battery bank to handle the
        occasional heavy load, such as the saw you mentioned. It also makes sense if
        you are building a remote home or cabin, and can utilize the inverter for
        your power system after you are finished.
        You mentioned a 10A draw on the saw, which is approx. 1200 watts. If you can
        tell me the HP of the saw, and if you anticipate running anything else at
        the same time, it will be easier to accurately size the inverter. I have one
        customer who is upgrading from a 1500W inverter to a 2500W unit right now
        because his circular saw won't run on 1500W. Start up current and full load
        current may exceed the peak capacity of the inverter, which is generally
        about 3 times the nominal rating of the inverter. If you try to size the
        inverter too closely to your load, you may be disappointed in performance,
        especially when the batteries get a little run down.
        For a system like yours, I would recommend a 2500W inverter, four 220Ah 6V
        golf cart batteries, two 75W solar modules and a good voltage regulator with
        a digital meter so you can keep an eye on the batteries. This system will
        produce about 1 kilowatt hour per day in the summer, and the batteries will
        hold about 5kwh of reserve. Will you be running any lights, fans or
        appliances at night off the system? If so, you may need a little more
        solar. I think this would probably be a good starter system, if you find
        you need more power, you can always add to it. Hope this helps.

        Regards, Kevin Conlin
        > We are getting to the point where we need a generator to run power tools
        > far from where we have power. Generators are noisy and don't smell
        > good. I was thinking of mounting a PV panel(s) on something that would
        > slip in my 4' x 8' trailer. A couple of batteries and an inverter and
        > I'm in business, I think. Any comments? Ideas? I believe my circular
        > saw needs about 10 amps, which is the heaviest draw I would be using.
        >
        > Kim

        > Law Enforcement Professionals: SAVE ON LONG DISTANCE TODAY!!!

      • Kim & Garth Travis
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 26, 2000
          "Kevin L. Conlin" wrote:

          > Hi Kim and Garth,
          >
          > Running power tools in remote areas using solar is very practical since you
          > usually don't have a continuous load, but intermittent ones. This allows
          > the solar panels to charge a relatively big battery bank to handle the
          > occasional heavy load, such as the saw you mentioned. It also makes sense if
          > you are building a remote home or cabin, and can utilize the inverter for
          > your power system after you are finished.

          I am looking for a system to replace a generator for farm work and that will be
          needed in this capacity permanently. I want the system as small as possible,
          that is barely able to make five cuts in a landscape timber with the saw.
          Actually make that five cuts in a 2 x 4 or 1 cut in a sheet of plywood. I have
          to be able to load and unload it without too much hassle.

          > You mentioned a 10A draw on the saw, which is approx. 1200 watts. If you can
          > tell me the HP of the saw, and if you anticipate running anything else at
          > the same time, it will be easier to accurately size the inverter.

          I checked the saw and it does not give a hp but it is 15 amp not 10. The only
          other thing that might be running at he same time would be some music. I want
          the system mostly for an airless paint sprayer, [small wagner] and perhaps for a
          party once in a while for music. Since we are used to getting up with the sun,
          they don't run late here. We are looking to replace a little tiny generator,
          you know the cheap ones that have little power, as that is all we need when we
          borrow one.

          You mentioned golf cart batteries rather that deep cycle marine batteries, could
          you explain your preference?

          Thank you for the information.
          Kim