canning vs freezing

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2004
      Well the garden is planted an coming on nicely, so it is again time to
      think about what to do with the excess produce so I can enjoy it when the
      garden is not producing. There are 2 reasonable option of how to deal with
      this, but I have real trouble trying to figure out which is better for the
      environment.

      1. Freezing the produce. The freezer bags are re-useable for 5 or 6 times,
      on average. I have found in the past that vegetables freeze and thaw just
      wonderfully with no blanching or energy using preparation other than a good
      wash. To keep vegetable fresh for months or close to a year, I have found
      that a vacuum sealer is needed. So my energy usage is the cost of
      running the vacuum sealer and a larger freezer to store the produce
      in. Sometimes I run my tomatoes through my meat grinder before freezing,
      rather than blanching and peeling, but I don't need energy to prep any
      other veggie.

      2. Canning the vegetables. Requires new lids for all jars every
      year. Energy is needed to boil water to sterilize everything, the boiling
      water to preserve everything. [You never get that fresh tomato taste] For
      many vegetables you need to use a pressure cooker. The jars are re-usable
      for decades and the storage requires no energy. However in Texas, one must
      take into account the raised AC bill that is run up while doing the canning.

      As you can see, I can find a good case for either. But which one is better
      for the environment?

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim