Re: [hreg] Where to buy gasoline?

  • Roxanne Boyer
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11, 2004
      Where to buy gasoline?  Gasoline comes from a number of refining companies.  Some you hear about all the time, like ExxonMobil and Shell (publicly owned).  Others have less well known names like Valero and Irving Oil (privately owned).  The publicly owned companies have to report their activities more openly and they have to please the public.  The private companies like to stay out of the public eye.

      Of the public companies BP and Shell have European influence and have the most renewable energy projects and both have large solar cell facilities and wind farms.  ChevronTexaco was investing in research for renewable technologies, but have not gone into serious production.  ExxonMobil publicly states that renewables are a load of bunk and will invest nothing in them (see HREG note from Andrew on 4/7).

      If you look at financial indicators (which are aimed at short term), ExxonMobil is doing the best, followed by Shell and then BP.  ExxonMobil is a shrewd company, and all about financial success.  They treat their best employees well and every year they fire the bottom 5% of their employees.  Shell is a company more about people.  They spend a lot of effort to support their employees.  These views are also evident in each companies actions toward the environment.  Shell is more environmentally sensitive, ExxonMobil cares only when it comes to money.

      I think any energy company could win the Journey-to-Forever award (Kim's note 4/8) slamming companies for claiming environmental consciousness, but being polluters.  Is it fair to insult companies that are at least starting to change?  I'm afraid such an award encourages companies to take the ExxonMobil attitude.

      If you were president (of the nation or of an oil company) what would you do?  If you stop all pollution cold turkey and go "green", then you are basically shutting down all manufacturing and transportation in the world, you put half the nation out of work, society will go back to the middle ages, and the world will go to war.  If you don't do anything, then the world will run out of oil in a few decades and have the same result.  What we need to do is put a plan together as a nation (and world) that will switch us over to renewables in a given time frame that corresponds to running low on oil.  At the same time, you make and enforce strick environmental rules that promote sustainablility.  This is tough because no one knows what the oil shortage time frame is until we get real close to it, then we won't have much time with which to work.  I have my graphs (shown previously on this group) that show about 2040.  Forty years is a short time when you consider all the work that needs to be done.  The purpose of HREG is to educate Houston about reneable energy.  I'd say we have a pretty important job to do.