Solar and the Chinese government

  • Amanda Tullos
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2004
      Blank
      I want to mention the William McDonough lecture that opened Fotofest.

      If you are not familiar with him read his book "Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the way we make things" it is pretty much the same material as his lecture.

      What is different than his usual presentation is that during the question and answer period he said that the Chinese government has agreed to use his protocol in their building techniques and that the Chinese government will be building housing over the next 20 years for 400 million people--- that's right I said 400 MILLION and they will all want electricity! Well according to Mr. McDonough his company has found a way to produce solar collectors without all the toxic chemicals currently used and in a way that will make it cheaper to use than burning coal (which is the only other realistic way to produce energy cheaply enough for all those people). Anyhow, they are giving the technology to the Chinese government for FREE! So this means solar has come of age! Competitive pricing will be here soon!

      I am excited and ready to continue working hard for better solutions. Daily routines can lead to emotional numbness for me and when I hear Mr. McDonough's words it shocks me back into the truth about what is going on in the world and how we are poisoning each other; but then I get a big dosage of hope and I am renewed.

      With 6 Billion people in the World, I am ready to be a part of what's next!

      Amanda Tullos
      h 713.779.2247
      c 281.384.3756