Where to buy gasoline?

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2004
      Dear HREGers,
      Don't recall if we have discussed it on this list or not, but from time to time the question comes up on other lists that I am on - which is the least worst oil company to buy our gasoline from?
      Someone on the Solar Austin list said that they tend to give BP credit because Sir John Brown was one of the first (the first?) chief exec of a major petroleum company to acknowledge the risk of and the potential contribution of fossil fuels to global warming.
      My daughter works for CALPIRG in LA and tells me they found him to be very good to work with.
      In view of this, I have decided to start buying my gas from BP. If someone knows of a good reason not to, would appreciate hearing about it.
      Charlie
    • Mike Ewert
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004

          For ExxonMobil’s party line and perspective, see their 02/04 Report:

          http://www.exxonmobil.com/corporate/files/corporate/Energy_Brochure.pdf

          Andrew McCalla

          Meridian Energy Systems

          2300 S. Lamar, Ste. 107

          Austin, TX  78704

          www.meridiansolar.com

          Voice: (512) 448-0055

          Fax:    (512) 448-0045

          ·         .

        • Lunce
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
            Perhaps we made a plea they might consider putting one in Houston?  We do have sun here :)

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
              There is a certain amount of irony and tragedy in the fact that we will pay $3.95 for a half a pint of coffee at Starbucks but we object to paying $2.00 per gallon for fuel.  Try telling someone you want $5.00 per Watt for a solar job and watch them hit the ceiling.

              In the South Texas cost is king.  People will buy gas where they get the greatest bang for their buck.  Here in San Antonio the best price can be found at Costco or Sams on a daily basis.  Sometimes the independents will have a sale to try and drum up some business but these are hard to catch.  Last Thursday I found gas at Pimlico's for $0.99 per gallon.  I had to wait in line for fifteen minutes to get it.  Considering how much time it cost me I am not sure it was worth the wait.

              Look for changes to our web site January 2004.
              Our new address is:
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              210-698-7109
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                In a message dated 4/7/04 10:35:13 AM Central Daylight Time, lhu@... writes:

                The only reason I can think of is that they don't have retail outlets in Texas.  I think the BP solar powered gas stations are cool.  Wish we had one in Houston.

                I bought some gas several weeks ago somewhere along I35 (I think it was between Austin and San Antonio) in a station where the sign said BP and had a picture of a yellow sunflower. I think it also said something about solar. I was kind of curious about it at the time but didn't really check it out. Apparently it was one of those solar powered stations. Not in Houston but definitely in Texas. Has anyone seen others anywhere around here?

                As lhu@... (not sure who that is) says, perhaps if we made a plea they might consider putting one in Houston?  We do have sun here :)

                Charlie
              • Roy Holder
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 7, 2004
                  from Austin to Dallas along I35 there are 4 to 6 BP stations.
                  Not all are solar powered(I don't think any of the ones I have seen along
                  I35 are), but BP has advertised that it makes solar powered gas stations.

                  At 12:16 PM 4/7/2004 EDT, you wrote:
                  > In a message dated 4/7/04 10:35:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  >lhu@... writes:
                  >
                  > Wish we had one in Houston.
                  >

                  > I bought some gas several weeks ago somewhere along I35 (I think it was
                  >between Austin and San Antonio) in a station where the sign said BP and had
                  >a picture of a yellow sunflower. I think it also said something about
                  >solar. I was kind of curious about it at the time but didn't really check
                  >it out. Apparently it was one of those solar powered stations. Not in
                  >Houston but definitely in Texas. Has anyone seen others anywhere around here?
                  >
                  > As lhu@... (not sure who that is) says, perhaps if we made a
                  >plea they might consider putting one in Houston?  We do have sun here :)
                  >
                  > Charlie
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Roxanne Boyer
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 11, 2004
                    Where to buy gasoline?  Gasoline comes from a number of refining companies.  Some you hear about all the time, like ExxonMobil and Shell (publicly owned).  Others have less well known names like Valero and Irving Oil (privately owned).  The publicly owned companies have to report their activities more openly and they have to please the public.  The private companies like to stay out of the public eye.

                    Of the public companies BP and Shell have European influence and have the most renewable energy projects and both have large solar cell facilities and wind farms.  ChevronTexaco was investing in research for renewable technologies, but have not gone into serious production.  ExxonMobil publicly states that renewables are a load of bunk and will invest nothing in them (see HREG note from Andrew on 4/7).

                    If you look at financial indicators (which are aimed at short term), ExxonMobil is doing the best, followed by Shell and then BP.  ExxonMobil is a shrewd company, and all about financial success.  They treat their best employees well and every year they fire the bottom 5% of their employees.  Shell is a company more about people.  They spend a lot of effort to support their employees.  These views are also evident in each companies actions toward the environment.  Shell is more environmentally sensitive, ExxonMobil cares only when it comes to money.

                    I think any energy company could win the Journey-to-Forever award (Kim's note 4/8) slamming companies for claiming environmental consciousness, but being polluters.  Is it fair to insult companies that are at least starting to change?  I'm afraid such an award encourages companies to take the ExxonMobil attitude.

                    If you were president (of the nation or of an oil company) what would you do?  If you stop all pollution cold turkey and go "green", then you are basically shutting down all manufacturing and transportation in the world, you put half the nation out of work, society will go back to the middle ages, and the world will go to war.  If you don't do anything, then the world will run out of oil in a few decades and have the same result.  What we need to do is put a plan together as a nation (and world) that will switch us over to renewables in a given time frame that corresponds to running low on oil.  At the same time, you make and enforce strick environmental rules that promote sustainablility.  This is tough because no one knows what the oil shortage time frame is until we get real close to it, then we won't have much time with which to work.  I have my graphs (shown previously on this group) that show about 2040.  Forty years is a short time when you consider all the work that needs to be done.  The purpose of HREG is to educate Houston about reneable energy.  I'd say we have a pretty important job to do.