What is the Energy Payback for PV Panels...

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2004
      It's an old arguement; how long does a PV system have to operate to recover the energy—and associated generation of pollution and CO2—that went into making the system, in the first place? This NREL site seems to have a pretty good answer.
      Jim Duncan
    • Roxanne Boyer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
        As a comparison, I read somewhere that it takes 1 barrel of oil to bring up 100 barrels of oil in the Middle East and 1 barrel of oil to bring up 10 barrels of oil in the US.  According to the EERE report referenced below, PV falls in the middle at 1 watt of electricity to produce 10 watts to 29 watts.  Of course, oil numbers are falling and PV numbers are increasing.