Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Paul Archer
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
      Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
      In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
      them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
      third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
      kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
      think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
      think...

      Paul

      PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
      problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
      one-vote.

      10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

      > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
      > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
      > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
      > Bright Blessings,
      > Kim
      >
      > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
      > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
      > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
      > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
      > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
      > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
      > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
      > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
      > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
      > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
      > >Jim Duncan
      > >********
      > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
      > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
      > >Victor Hugo

      "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
    • Amanda Tullos
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
        I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
        the candidates.

        On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
        for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
        the gas money I'll save)

        P.S. Bush lied.

        Amanda Tullos
        h 713.779.2247
        c 281.384.3756
        atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

        one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
        In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
        them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
        third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
        kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
        think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
        think...

        Paul

        PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
        problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
        one-vote.

        10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

        > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
        > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
        > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
        > Bright Blessings,
        > Kim
        >
        > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
        > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
        > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
        demanding
        > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
        > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
        > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
        > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
        > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
        > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
        > >Jim Duncan
        > >********
        > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
        > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
        > >Victor Hugo

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Steven M. Stelzer
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
          heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
          actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
          advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
          study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
          inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
          web presence, which you might want to investigate.

          For what it's worth,

          Steve Stelzer

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
            For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
            U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
            out this book:

            Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
            Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

            David

            David M. Eggleston
            VelomobileUSA, LLC
            Midland, TX
            www.VelomobileUSA.com
          • Randy Scott
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
              Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
              Are they elected officials?
              Are they Senators?
              Can they be impeached?

              Randy Scott

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
              > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
              The
              > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
              the
              > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
              demanding
              > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
              votes
              > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
              majority
              > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
              > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
              stood up to
              > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
              been on
              > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
              > Jim Duncan
              > ********
              > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
              > and that is an idea whose time has come.
              > Victor Hugo

            • Randy Scott
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                can't wait
                > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                mention all
                > the gas money I'll save)
                > > Amanda Tullos
                > h 713.779.2247
                > c 281.384.3756
                > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                one of them - before I lost my job.

                Randy
              • John Miggins
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                  Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                  the Toyota?

                  We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                  like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                  Honda over the Toyota.

                  thanks and good choice.
                  I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                  John Miggins
                  Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                  1571 East 22 Place
                  Tulsa, OK 74114
                  918-743-2299 phone/fax
                  918-809-7223 cell

                  http://www.harvest-energy.com
                  > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                  of
                  > the candidates.
                  >
                  > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                  wait
                  > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                  > the gas money I'll save)
                  >
                  > P.S. Bush lied.
                  >
                  > Amanda Tullos
                  > h 713.779.2247
                  > c 281.384.3756
                  > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                • Michael Christie
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                    The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                    in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                    regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                    the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                    could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                    impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                    elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                    elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                    few.

                    The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                    intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                    take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                    your congressman about.

                    Michael Christie

                    Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                    Are they elected officials?
                    Are they Senators?
                    Can they be impeached?

                    Randy Scott

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                    > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                    The
                    > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                    the
                    > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                    demanding
                    > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                    votes
                    > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                    majority
                    > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                    > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                    stood up to
                    > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                    been on
                    > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                    > Jim Duncan
                    > ********
                    > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                    > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                    > Victor Hugo

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Amanda Tullos
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                      I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                      recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                      "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                      I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                      Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                      supplier, but I never finished the research)

                      The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                      also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                      2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                      was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                      Amanda Tullos
                      h 713.779.2247
                      c 281.384.3756
                      atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                      > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                      of
                      > the candidates.
                      >
                      > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                      wait
                      > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                      > the gas money I'll save)
                      >
                      > P.S. Bush lied.
                      >
                      > Amanda Tullos
                      > h 713.779.2247