RE: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Michael Christie
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
      Chris,

      There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
      Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
      me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
      information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
      does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
      be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
      the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
      promoted him to Chancellor.

      Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
      in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
      registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
      including primaries.

      Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
      you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
      the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
      follow your example.

      Michael Christie

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
        Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
        stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
        Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
        them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

      • Paul Archer
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
          In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
          them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
          third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
          kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
          think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
          think...

          Paul

          PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
          problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
          one-vote.

          10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

          > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
          > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
          > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
          > Bright Blessings,
          > Kim
          >
          > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
          > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
          > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
          > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
          > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
          > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
          > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
          > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
          > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
          > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
          > >Jim Duncan
          > >********
          > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
          > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
          > >Victor Hugo

          "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
        • Amanda Tullos
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
            I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
            the candidates.

            On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
            for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
            the gas money I'll save)

            P.S. Bush lied.

            Amanda Tullos
            h 713.779.2247
            c 281.384.3756
            atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

            one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
            In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
            them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
            third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
            kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
            think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
            think...

            Paul

            PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
            problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
            one-vote.

            10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

            > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
            > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
            > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
            > Bright Blessings,
            > Kim
            >
            > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
            > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
            > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
            > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
            demanding
            > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
            > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
            > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
            > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
            > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
            > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
            > >Jim Duncan
            > >********
            > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
            > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
            > >Victor Hugo

            ---
            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

            ---
          • Steven M. Stelzer
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
              A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
              heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
              actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
              advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
              study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
              inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
              web presence, which you might want to investigate.

              For what it's worth,

              Steve Stelzer

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                out this book:

                Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                David

                David M. Eggleston
                VelomobileUSA, LLC
                Midland, TX
                www.VelomobileUSA.com
              • Randy Scott
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                  Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                  Are they elected officials?
                  Are they Senators?
                  Can they be impeached?

                  Randy Scott

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                  > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                  The
                  > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                  the
                  > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                  demanding
                  > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                  votes
                  > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                  majority
                  > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                  > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                  stood up to
                  > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                  been on
                  > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                  > Jim Duncan
                  > ********
                  > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                  > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                  > Victor Hugo

                • Randy Scott
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                    > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                    can't wait
                    > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                    mention all
                    > the gas money I'll save)
                    > > Amanda Tullos
                    > h 713.779.2247
                    > c 281.384.3756
                    > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                    Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                    one of them - before I lost my job.

                    Randy
                  • John Miggins
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                      Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                      the Toyota?

                      We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                      like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                      Honda over the Toyota.

                      thanks and good choice.
                      I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                      John Miggins
                      Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                      1571 East 22 Place
                      Tulsa, OK 74114
                      918-743-2299 phone/fax
                      918-809-7223 cell

                      http://www.harvest-energy.com
                      > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                      of
                      > the candidates.
                      >
                      > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                      wait
                      > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                      > the gas money I'll save)
                      >
                      > P.S. Bush lied.
                      >
                      > Amanda Tullos
                      > h 713.779.2247
                      > c 281.384.3756
                      > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                    • Michael Christie
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                        The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                        in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                        regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                        the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                        could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                        impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                        elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                        elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                        few.

                        The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                        intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                        take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                        your congressman about.

                        Michael Christie

                        Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                        Are they elected officials?
                        Are they Senators?
                        Can they be impeached?

                        Randy Scott

                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                        > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                        The
                        > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                        the
                        > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                        demanding
                        > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                        votes
                        > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                        majority
                        > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                        > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                        stood up to
                        > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                        been on
                        > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                        > Jim Duncan
                        > ********
                        > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                        > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                        > Victor Hugo

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Amanda Tullos
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                          I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                          recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                          "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                          I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                          Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                          supplier, but I never finished the research)

                          The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                          also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                          2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                          was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                          Amanda Tullos
                          h 713.779.2247
                          c 281.384.3756
                          atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                          > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                          of
                          > the candidates.
                          >
                          > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                          wait
                          > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                          > the gas money I'll save)
                          >
                          > P.S. Bush lied.
                          >
                          > Amanda Tullos
                          > h 713.779.2247