Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Chris Smith
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
      Um...... Ontario has 30% of the population and contributes 50% of the
      money.
      "Rape" isn't exactly an accurate term. "Support" may be more apt.

      Chris Smith
      (416)495-3969
      chris.smith@...

      Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
      02/06/2004 11:51 AM
      Please respond to hreg

      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

      Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
      >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
      >
      >Chris Smith
      >(416)495-3969
      >chris.smith@...
      >

      >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
      >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
      >Please respond to hreg
      >

      > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      > cc:
      > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
      >

      >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
      >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
      >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
      >Bright Blessings,
      >Kim
      >
      >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
      > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
      > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
      > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
      >demanding
      > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
      votes
      > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
      majority
      > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
      > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood
      up
      > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been
      on
      > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
      > >Jim Duncan
      > >********
      > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
      > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
      > >Victor Hugo

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • BASHIR A SYED
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
        But in reality he was installed as President by the Supreme Court.
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          Chris,

          There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
          Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
          me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
          information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
          does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
          be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
          the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
          promoted him to Chancellor.

          Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
          in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
          registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
          including primaries.

          Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
          you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
          the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
          follow your example.

          Michael Christie

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
            Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
            stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
            Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
            them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • Paul Archer
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
              Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
              In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
              them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
              third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
              kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
              think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
              think...

              Paul

              PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
              problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
              one-vote.

              10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

              > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
              > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
              > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
              > Bright Blessings,
              > Kim
              >
              > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
              > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
              > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
              > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
              > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
              > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
              > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
              > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
              > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
              > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
              > >Jim Duncan
              > >********
              > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
              > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
              > >Victor Hugo

              "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
            • Amanda Tullos
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
                the candidates.

                On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
                for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                the gas money I'll save)

                P.S. Bush lied.

                Amanda Tullos
                h 713.779.2247
                c 281.384.3756
                atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                think...

                Paul

                PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                one-vote.

                10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                > Bright Blessings,
                > Kim
                >
                > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                demanding
                > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                > >Jim Duncan
                > >********
                > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                > >Victor Hugo

                ---
                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                ---
              • Steven M. Stelzer
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                  A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
                  heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
                  actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
                  advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
                  study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
                  inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
                  web presence, which you might want to investigate.

                  For what it's worth,

                  Steve Stelzer

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                    For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                    U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                    out this book:

                    Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                    Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                    David

                    David M. Eggleston
                    VelomobileUSA, LLC
                    Midland, TX
                    www.VelomobileUSA.com
                  • Randy Scott
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                      Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                      Are they elected officials?
                      Are they Senators?
                      Can they be impeached?

                      Randy Scott

                      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                      > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                      The
                      > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                      the
                      > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                      demanding
                      > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                      votes
                      > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                      majority
                      > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                      > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                      stood up to
                      > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                      been on
                      > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                      > Jim Duncan
                      > ********
                      > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                      > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                      > Victor Hugo

                    • Randy Scott
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                        > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                        can't wait
                        > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                        mention all
                        > the gas money I'll save)
                        > > Amanda Tullos
                        > h 713.779.2247
                        > c 281.384.3756
                        > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                        Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                        one of them - before I lost my job.

                        Randy
                      • John Miggins
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                          Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                          the Toyota?

                          We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                          like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                          Honda over the Toyota.

                          thanks and good choice.
                          I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                          John Miggins
                          Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                          1571 East 22 Place
                          Tulsa, OK 74114
                          918-743-2299 phone/fax
                          918-809-7223 cell

                          http://www.harvest-energy.com
                          > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                          of
                          > the candidates.
                          >
                          > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                          wait
                          > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                          > the gas money I'll save)
                          >
                          > P.S. Bush lied.
                          >
                          > Amanda Tullos
                          > h 713.779.2247
                          > c 281.384.3756
                          > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                        • Michael Christie
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                            The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                            in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                            regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                            the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                            could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                            impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                            elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                            elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                            few.

                            The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                            intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                            take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                            your congressman about.

                            Michael Christie

                            Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                            Are they elected officials?
                            Are they Senators?
                            Can they be impeached?

                            Randy Scott

                            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                            > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                            The
                            > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                            the
                            > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                            demanding
                            > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                            votes
                            > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                            majority
                            > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                            > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                            stood up to
                            > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                            been on
                            > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                            > Jim Duncan
                            > ********
                            > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                            > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                            > Victor Hugo

                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Amanda Tullos
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                              I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                              recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                              "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                              I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                              Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                              supplier, but I never finished the research)

                              The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                              also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                              2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                              was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                              Amanda Tullos
                              h 713.779.2247
                              c 281.384.3756
                              atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                              > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                              of
                              > the candidates.
                              >
                              > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                              wait
                              > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                              > the gas money I'll save)
                              >
                              > P.S. Bush lied.
                              >
                              > Amanda Tullos
                              > h 713.779.2247