Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Kim & Garth Travis
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
      Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
      love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
      interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
      >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
      >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
      >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
      >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
      >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
      >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
      >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
      >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
      >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
      >Jim Duncan
      >********
      >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
      >and that is an idea whose time has come.
      >Victor Hugo

    • Chris Smith
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
        Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.

        Chris Smith
        (416)495-3969
        chris.smith@...

        Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
        02/06/2004 11:13 AM
        Please respond to hreg

        To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
        cc:
        Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

        Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
        love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
        interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
        >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
        >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
        demanding
        >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
        >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
        >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
        >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
        >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
        >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
        >Jim Duncan
        >********
        >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
        >and that is an idea whose time has come.
        >Victor Hugo

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • chasmauch@aol.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          Our tax code is absurd in many respects. Like why do we still subsidize large families? You should get a deduction for one child or maybe two, nothing for the 3rd, and start getting penalties for any over that number.

          But it is the hidden stuff that bugs me. For instance WalMart is now the biggest employer in the country - I think it has about a million employees. The Walton heirs are all multibillionaires, but still squeeze every dime they can out of their employees by paying rock bottom wages (see "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenrich).

          But in fact those low wages are subsidized by the taxpayers. When the underpaid folks with no health care or other benefits get sick, what do they do? Right - they go where all the other poor people go - to an emergency room to get routine care in the most expensive and inefficient manner possible. They also get food stamps and other forms of poverty assistance. Why do we subsidize the Waltons? Or for that matter, all the other places that give low pay and no benefits - Target, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. We think they provide us with things at low cost but in fact we are paying much more than is reflected in those blue light specials and other "low, low prices." I think some of those costs should be charged back to the employers.

          Oops - guess my populist blood is acting up again. I will probably get a lot of lectures explaining how "free markets" work. Yeah, right.

          Charlie
        • Chris Smith
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
            Um...... Ontario has 30% of the population and contributes 50% of the
            money.
            "Rape" isn't exactly an accurate term. "Support" may be more apt.

            Chris Smith
            (416)495-3969
            chris.smith@...

            Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
            02/06/2004 11:51 AM
            Please respond to hreg

            To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
            cc:

            Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

            At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
            >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
            >
            >Chris Smith
            >(416)495-3969
            >chris.smith@...
            >

            >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
            >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
            >Please respond to hreg
            >

            > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
            > cc:
            > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
            >

            >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
            >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
            >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
            >Bright Blessings,
            >Kim
            >
            >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
            > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
            > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
            > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
            >demanding
            > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
            votes
            > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
            majority
            > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
            > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood
            up
            > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been
            on
            > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
            > >Jim Duncan
            > >********
            > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
            > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
            > >Victor Hugo

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
              Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
              >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
              >
              >Chris Smith
              >(416)495-3969
              >chris.smith@...
              >

              >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
              >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
              >Please respond to hreg
              >

              > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              > cc:
              > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
              >

              >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
              >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
              >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
              >Bright Blessings,
              >Kim
              >
              >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
              > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
              > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
              > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
              >demanding
              > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
              > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
              > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
              > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
              > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
              > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
              > >Jim Duncan
              > >********
              > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
              > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
              > >Victor Hugo

            • BASHIR A SYED
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                But in reality he was installed as President by the Supreme Court.
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                  Chris,

                  There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
                  Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
                  me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
                  information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
                  does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
                  be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
                  the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
                  promoted him to Chancellor.

                  Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
                  in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
                  registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
                  including primaries.

                  Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
                  you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
                  the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
                  follow your example.

                  Michael Christie

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                    Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
                    stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
                    Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
                    them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                  • Paul Archer
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                      Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                      In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                      them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                      third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                      kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                      think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                      think...

                      Paul

                      PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                      problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                      one-vote.

                      10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                      > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                      > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                      > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                      > Bright Blessings,
                      > Kim
                      >
                      > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                      > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                      > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                      > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                      > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                      > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                      > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                      > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                      > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                      > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                      > >Jim Duncan
                      > >********
                      > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                      > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                      > >Victor Hugo

                      "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
                    • Amanda Tullos
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                        I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
                        the candidates.

                        On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
                        for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                        the gas money I'll save)

                        P.S. Bush lied.

                        Amanda Tullos
                        h 713.779.2247
                        c 281.384.3756
                        atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                        one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                        In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                        them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                        third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                        kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                        think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                        think...

                        Paul

                        PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                        problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                        one-vote.

                        10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                        > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                        > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                        > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                        > Bright Blessings,
                        > Kim
                        >
                        > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                        > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                        > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                        > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                        demanding
                        > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                        > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                        > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                        > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                        > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                        > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                        > >Jim Duncan
                        > >********
                        > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                        > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                        > >Victor Hugo

                        ---
                        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                        ---
                      • Steven M. Stelzer
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                          A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
                          heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
                          actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
                          advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
                          study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
                          inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
                          web presence, which you might want to investigate.

                          For what it's worth,

                          Steve Stelzer

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                            For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                            U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                            out this book:

                            Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                            Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                            David

                            David M. Eggleston
                            VelomobileUSA, LLC
                            Midland, TX
                            www.VelomobileUSA.com
                          • Randy Scott
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                              Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                              Are they elected officials?
                              Are they Senators?
                              Can they be impeached?

                              Randy Scott

                              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                              > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                              The
                              > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                              the
                              > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                              demanding
                              > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                              votes
                              > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                              majority
                              > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                              > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                              stood up to
                              > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                              been on
                              > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                              > Jim Duncan
                              > ********
                              > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                              > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                              > Victor Hugo

                            • Randy Scott
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                                > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                                can't wait
                                > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                                mention all
                                > the gas money I'll save)
                                > > Amanda Tullos
                                > h 713.779.2247
                                > c 281.384.3756
                                > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                                Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                                one of them - before I lost my job.

                                Randy
                              • John Miggins
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                                  Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                                  the Toyota?

                                  We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                                  like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                                  Honda over the Toyota.

                                  thanks and good choice.
                                  I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                                  John Miggins
                                  Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                                  1571 East 22 Place
                                  Tulsa, OK 74114
                                  918-743-2299 phone/fax
                                  918-809-7223 cell

                                  http://www.harvest-energy.com
                                  > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                  of
                                  > the candidates.
                                  >
                                  > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                  wait
                                  > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                  > the gas money I'll save)
                                  >
                                  > P.S. Bush lied.
                                  >
                                  > Amanda Tullos
                                  > h 713.779.2247
                                  > c 281.384.3756
                                  > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                • Michael Christie
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                    The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                                    in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                                    regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                                    the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                                    could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                                    impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                                    elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                                    elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                                    few.

                                    The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                                    intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                                    take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                                    your congressman about.

                                    Michael Christie

                                    Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                    Are they elected officials?
                                    Are they Senators?
                                    Can they be impeached?

                                    Randy Scott

                                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                    > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                    The
                                    > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                    the
                                    > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                    demanding
                                    > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                    votes
                                    > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                    majority
                                    > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                    > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                    stood up to
                                    > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                    been on
                                    > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                    > Jim Duncan
                                    > ********
                                    > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                    > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                    > Victor Hugo

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Amanda Tullos
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                      I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                                      recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                                      "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                                      I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                                      Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                                      supplier, but I never finished the research)

                                      The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                                      also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                                      2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                                      was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                                      Amanda Tullos
                                      h 713.779.2247
                                      c 281.384.3756
                                      atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                      > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                      of
                                      > the candidates.
                                      >
                                      > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                      wait
                                      > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                      > the gas money I'll save)
                                      >
                                      > P.S. Bush lied.
                                      >
                                      > Amanda Tullos
                                      > h 713.779.2247