Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Chris Smith
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6 7:52 AM
      Try the Canadian system..... with 3, 4 and 5 parties running, 35% of the
      popular vote is a landslide victory.

      Chris Smith
      (416)495-3969
      chris.smith@...

      "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
      02/06/2004 10:50 AM
      Please respond to hreg

      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      cc:
      Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

      Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
      Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
      people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
      in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
      than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
      leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
      The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
      the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
      the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
      Jim Duncan
      ********
      There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
      and that is an idea whose time has come.
      Victor Hugo

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6 8:13 AM
        Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
        love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
        interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim

        At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
        >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
        >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
        >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
        >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
        >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
        >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
        >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
        >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
        >Jim Duncan
        >********
        >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
        >and that is an idea whose time has come.
        >Victor Hugo

      • Chris Smith
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6 8:14 AM
          Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.

          Chris Smith
          (416)495-3969
          chris.smith@...

          Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
          02/06/2004 11:13 AM
          Please respond to hreg

          To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
          cc:

          Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
          love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
          interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
          >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
          >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
          >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
          demanding
          >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
          >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
          >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
          >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
          >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
          >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
          >Jim Duncan
          >********
          >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
          >and that is an idea whose time has come.
          >Victor Hugo

        • Jim & Janet
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6 8:16 AM
            From: "Ooi, Han" <Han.Ooi@...>

            > Soon, the price will be high enough to drive alternative technologies.
            The Saudis wanted to keep oil in the $20 to $29 range >because that's the
            price where they max their profit without triggering the growth of
            alternative tech and energy. But the new >demand and instability is tipping
            the price out of that ideal range.

            Prices are today around $35/barrel. Why don't we see price spikes at the
            pump? The international oil cartel is easily able to absorb massive drops in
            profits in order to keep supplies at affordable pump prices.
            The US is looking seriously at Russian oil reserves because of the dangers
            and roadblocks in the Middle East. The cheap oil is gone.
            Look, I can't emphasize enough that you at least get your hands on a copy of
            Michael Osbornes book, Silver in The Mine' (no Michael doesn't pay me to
            push his book. After all, he's GIVING it away) for some very compelling
            information on oil.
            Jim Duncan
            ******
            ...the perfect is the enemy of the good.
            Voltaire
          • chasmauch@aol.com
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6 8:33 AM
              Our tax code is absurd in many respects. Like why do we still subsidize large families? You should get a deduction for one child or maybe two, nothing for the 3rd, and start getting penalties for any over that number.

              But it is the hidden stuff that bugs me. For instance WalMart is now the biggest employer in the country - I think it has about a million employees. The Walton heirs are all multibillionaires, but still squeeze every dime they can out of their employees by paying rock bottom wages (see "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenrich).

              But in fact those low wages are subsidized by the taxpayers. When the underpaid folks with no health care or other benefits get sick, what do they do? Right - they go where all the other poor people go - to an emergency room to get routine care in the most expensive and inefficient manner possible. They also get food stamps and other forms of poverty assistance. Why do we subsidize the Waltons? Or for that matter, all the other places that give low pay and no benefits - Target, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. We think they provide us with things at low cost but in fact we are paying much more than is reflected in those blue light specials and other "low, low prices." I think some of those costs should be charged back to the employers.

              Oops - guess my populist blood is acting up again. I will probably get a lot of lectures explaining how "free markets" work. Yeah, right.

              Charlie
            • Chris Smith
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6 8:50 AM
                Um...... Ontario has 30% of the population and contributes 50% of the
                money.
                "Rape" isn't exactly an accurate term. "Support" may be more apt.

                Chris Smith
                (416)495-3969
                chris.smith@...

                Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                02/06/2004 11:51 AM
                Please respond to hreg

                To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                cc:

                Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                Bright Blessings,
                Kim

                At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                >
                >Chris Smith
                >(416)495-3969
                >chris.smith@...
                >

                >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                >Please respond to hreg
                >

                > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                > cc:
                > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                >

                >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                >Bright Blessings,
                >Kim
                >
                >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                >demanding
                > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                votes
                > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                majority
                > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood
                up
                > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been
                on
                > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                > >Jim Duncan
                > >********
                > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                > >Victor Hugo

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6 8:51 AM
                  Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim

                  At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                  >
                  >Chris Smith
                  >(416)495-3969
                  >chris.smith@...
                  >

                  >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                  >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                  >Please respond to hreg
                  >

                  > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                  > cc:
                  > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                  >

                  >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                  >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                  >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                  >Bright Blessings,
                  >Kim
                  >
                  >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                  > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                  > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                  > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                  >demanding
                  > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                  > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                  > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                  > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                  > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                  > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                  > >Jim Duncan
                  > >********
                  > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                  > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                  > >Victor Hugo

                • BASHIR A SYED
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6 8:56 AM
                    But in reality he was installed as President by the Supreme Court.
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6 2:34 PM
                      Chris,

                      There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
                      Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
                      me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
                      information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
                      does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
                      be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
                      the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
                      promoted him to Chancellor.

                      Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
                      in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
                      registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
                      including primaries.

                      Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
                      you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
                      the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
                      follow your example.

                      Michael Christie

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6 2:51 PM
                        Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
                        stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
                        Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
                        them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
                        Bright Blessings,
                        Kim

                      • Paul Archer
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6 3:47 PM
                          Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                          In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                          them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                          third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                          kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                          think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                          think...

                          Paul

                          PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                          problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                          one-vote.

                          10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                          > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                          > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                          > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                          > Bright Blessings,
                          > Kim
                          >
                          > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                          > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                          > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                          > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                          > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                          > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                          > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                          > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                          > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                          > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                          > >Jim Duncan
                          > >********
                          > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                          > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                          > >Victor Hugo

                          "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
                        • Amanda Tullos
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 6 4:12 PM
                            I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
                            the candidates.

                            On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
                            for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                            the gas money I'll save)

                            P.S. Bush lied.

                            Amanda Tullos
                            h 713.779.2247
                            c 281.384.3756
                            atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                            one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                            In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                            them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                            third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                            kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                            think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                            think...

                            Paul

                            PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                            problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                            one-vote.

                            10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                            > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                            > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                            > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                            > Bright Blessings,
                            > Kim
                            >
                            > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                            > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                            > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                            > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                            demanding
                            > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                            > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                            > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                            > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                            > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                            > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                            > >Jim Duncan
                            > >********
                            > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                            > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                            > >Victor Hugo

                            ---
                            Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                            ---
                          • Steven M. Stelzer
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 6 5:26 PM
                              A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
                              heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
                              actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
                              advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
                              study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
                              inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
                              web presence, which you might want to investigate.

                              For what it's worth,

                              Steve Stelzer

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 7 4:18 AM
                                For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                                U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                                out this book:

                                Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                                Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                                David

                                David M. Eggleston
                                VelomobileUSA, LLC
                                Midland, TX
                                www.VelomobileUSA.com
                              • Randy Scott
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 7 10:24 PM
                                  Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                  Are they elected officials?
                                  Are they Senators?
                                  Can they be impeached?

                                  Randy Scott

                                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                  > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                  The
                                  > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                  the
                                  > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                  demanding
                                  > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                  votes
                                  > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                  majority
                                  > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                  > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                  stood up to
                                  > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                  been on
                                  > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                  > Jim Duncan
                                  > ********
                                  > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                  > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                  > Victor Hugo

                                • Randy Scott
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 7 10:35 PM
                                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                                    > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                                    can't wait
                                    > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                                    mention all
                                    > the gas money I'll save)
                                    > > Amanda Tullos
                                    > h 713.779.2247
                                    > c 281.384.3756
                                    > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                                    Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                                    one of them - before I lost my job.

                                    Randy
                                  • John Miggins
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 8 9:06 AM
                                      Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                                      the Toyota?

                                      We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                                      like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                                      Honda over the Toyota.

                                      thanks and good choice.
                                      I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                                      John Miggins
                                      Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                                      1571 East 22 Place
                                      Tulsa, OK 74114
                                      918-743-2299 phone/fax
                                      918-809-7223 cell

                                      http://www.harvest-energy.com
                                      > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                      of
                                      > the candidates.
                                      >
                                      > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                      wait
                                      > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                      > the gas money I'll save)
                                      >
                                      > P.S. Bush lied.
                                      >
                                      > Amanda Tullos
                                      > h 713.779.2247
                                      > c 281.384.3756
                                      > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                    • Michael Christie
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 9 12:55 PM
                                        The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                                        in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                                        regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                                        the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                                        could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                                        impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                                        elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                                        elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                                        few.

                                        The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                                        intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                                        take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                                        your congressman about.

                                        Michael Christie

                                        Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                        Are they elected officials?
                                        Are they Senators?
                                        Can they be impeached?

                                        Randy Scott

                                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                        > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                        The
                                        > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                        the
                                        > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                        demanding
                                        > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                        votes
                                        > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                        majority
                                        > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                        > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                        stood up to
                                        > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                        been on
                                        > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                        > Jim Duncan
                                        > ********
                                        > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                        > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                        > Victor Hugo

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Amanda Tullos
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 9 5:16 PM
                                          I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                                          recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                                          "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                                          I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                                          Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                                          supplier, but I never finished the research)

                                          The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                                          also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                                          2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                                          was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                                          Amanda Tullos
                                          h 713.779.2247
                                          c 281.384.3756
                                          atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                          > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                          of
                                          > the candidates.
                                          >
                                          > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                          wait
                                          > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                          > the gas money I'll save)
                                          >
                                          > P.S. Bush lied.
                                          >
                                          > Amanda Tullos
                                          > h 713.779.2247