RE: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • HARRISON, HEATHER L. (JSC-ZR) (MEI)
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
      Ok, maybe that was a joke. Sorry. Maybe I jumped the gun on that. It's
      too easy to get emotional about things like that....

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
        Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
        Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
        people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
        in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
        than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
        leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
        The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
        the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
        the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
        Jim Duncan
        ********
        There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
        and that is an idea whose time has come.
        Victor Hugo

        > I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
        Ralph Nader :-)

        > Han
      • Chris Smith
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          Try the Canadian system..... with 3, 4 and 5 parties running, 35% of the
          popular vote is a landslide victory.

          Chris Smith
          (416)495-3969
          chris.smith@...

          "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
          02/06/2004 10:50 AM
          Please respond to hreg

          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:

          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
            Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
            love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
            interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

            At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
            >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
            >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
            >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
            >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
            >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
            >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
            >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
            >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
            >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
            >Jim Duncan
            >********
            >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
            >and that is an idea whose time has come.
            >Victor Hugo

          • Chris Smith
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
              Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.

              Chris Smith
              (416)495-3969
              chris.smith@...

              Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
              02/06/2004 11:13 AM
              Please respond to hreg

              To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
              cc:

              Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
              love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
              interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
              >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
              >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
              >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
              demanding
              >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
              >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
              >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
              >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
              >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
              >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
              >Jim Duncan
              >********
              >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
              >and that is an idea whose time has come.
              >Victor Hugo

            • Jim & Janet
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                From: "Ooi, Han" <Han.Ooi@...>

                > Soon, the price will be high enough to drive alternative technologies.
                The Saudis wanted to keep oil in the $20 to $29 range >because that's the
                price where they max their profit without triggering the growth of
                alternative tech and energy. But the new >demand and instability is tipping
                the price out of that ideal range.

                Prices are today around $35/barrel. Why don't we see price spikes at the
                pump? The international oil cartel is easily able to absorb massive drops in
                profits in order to keep supplies at affordable pump prices.
                The US is looking seriously at Russian oil reserves because of the dangers
                and roadblocks in the Middle East. The cheap oil is gone.
                Look, I can't emphasize enough that you at least get your hands on a copy of
                Michael Osbornes book, Silver in The Mine' (no Michael doesn't pay me to
                push his book. After all, he's GIVING it away) for some very compelling
                information on oil.
                Jim Duncan
                ******
                ...the perfect is the enemy of the good.
                Voltaire
              • chasmauch@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                  Our tax code is absurd in many respects. Like why do we still subsidize large families? You should get a deduction for one child or maybe two, nothing for the 3rd, and start getting penalties for any over that number.

                  But it is the hidden stuff that bugs me. For instance WalMart is now the biggest employer in the country - I think it has about a million employees. The Walton heirs are all multibillionaires, but still squeeze every dime they can out of their employees by paying rock bottom wages (see "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenrich).

                  But in fact those low wages are subsidized by the taxpayers. When the underpaid folks with no health care or other benefits get sick, what do they do? Right - they go where all the other poor people go - to an emergency room to get routine care in the most expensive and inefficient manner possible. They also get food stamps and other forms of poverty assistance. Why do we subsidize the Waltons? Or for that matter, all the other places that give low pay and no benefits - Target, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. We think they provide us with things at low cost but in fact we are paying much more than is reflected in those blue light specials and other "low, low prices." I think some of those costs should be charged back to the employers.

                  Oops - guess my populist blood is acting up again. I will probably get a lot of lectures explaining how "free markets" work. Yeah, right.

                  Charlie
                • Chris Smith
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                    Um...... Ontario has 30% of the population and contributes 50% of the
                    money.
                    "Rape" isn't exactly an accurate term. "Support" may be more apt.

                    Chris Smith
                    (416)495-3969
                    chris.smith@...

                    Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                    02/06/2004 11:51 AM
                    Please respond to hreg

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                    cc:

                    Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                    Bright Blessings,
                    Kim

                    At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                    >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                    >
                    >Chris Smith
                    >(416)495-3969
                    >chris.smith@...
                    >

                    >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                    >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                    >Please respond to hreg
                    >

                    > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                    > cc:
                    > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                    >

                    >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                    >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                    >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                    >Bright Blessings,
                    >Kim
                    >
                    >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                    > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                    > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                    > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                    >demanding
                    > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                    votes
                    > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                    majority
                    > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                    > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood
                    up
                    > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been
                    on
                    > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                    > >Jim Duncan
                    > >********
                    > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                    > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                    > >Victor Hugo

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                      Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                      Bright Blessings,
                      Kim

                      At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                      >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                      >
                      >Chris Smith
                      >(416)495-3969
                      >chris.smith@...
                      >

                      >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                      >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                      >Please respond to hreg
                      >

                      > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                      > cc:
                      > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                      >

                      >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                      >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                      >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                      >Bright Blessings,
                      >Kim
                      >
                      >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                      > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                      > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                      > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                      >demanding
                      > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                      > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                      > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                      > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                      > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                      > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                      > >Jim Duncan
                      > >********
                      > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                      > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                      > >Victor Hugo

                    • BASHIR A SYED
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                        But in reality he was installed as President by the Supreme Court.
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                          Chris,

                          There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
                          Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
                          me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
                          information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
                          does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
                          be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
                          the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
                          promoted him to Chancellor.

                          Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
                          in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
                          registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
                          including primaries.

                          Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
                          you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
                          the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
                          follow your example.

                          Michael Christie

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                            Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
                            stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
                            Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
                            them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
                            Bright Blessings,
                            Kim

                          • Paul Archer
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                              Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                              In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                              them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                              third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                              kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                              think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                              think...

                              Paul

                              PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                              problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                              one-vote.

                              10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                              > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                              > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                              > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                              > Bright Blessings,
                              > Kim
                              >
                              > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                              > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                              > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                              > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                              > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                              > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                              > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                              > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                              > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                              > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                              > >Jim Duncan
                              > >********
                              > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                              > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                              > >Victor Hugo

                              "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
                            • Amanda Tullos
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
                                the candidates.

                                On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
                                for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                the gas money I'll save)

                                P.S. Bush lied.

                                Amanda Tullos
                                h 713.779.2247
                                c 281.384.3756
                                atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                                In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                                them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                                third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                                kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                                think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                                think...

                                Paul

                                PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                                problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                                one-vote.

                                10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                                > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                                > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                                > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                                > Bright Blessings,
                                > Kim
                                >
                                > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                                > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                                > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                demanding
                                > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                                > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                                > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                                > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                                > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                > >Jim Duncan
                                > >********
                                > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                > >Victor Hugo

                                ---
                                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                ---
                              • Steven M. Stelzer
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                  A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
                                  heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
                                  actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
                                  advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
                                  study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
                                  inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
                                  web presence, which you might want to investigate.

                                  For what it's worth,

                                  Steve Stelzer

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                    For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                                    U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                                    out this book:

                                    Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                                    Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                                    David

                                    David M. Eggleston
                                    VelomobileUSA, LLC
                                    Midland, TX
                                    www.VelomobileUSA.com
                                  • Randy Scott
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                      Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                      Are they elected officials?
                                      Are they Senators?
                                      Can they be impeached?

                                      Randy Scott

                                      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                      > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                      The
                                      > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                      the
                                      > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                      demanding
                                      > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                      votes
                                      > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                      majority
                                      > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                      > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                      stood up to
                                      > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                      been on
                                      > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                      > Jim Duncan
                                      > ********
                                      > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                      > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                      > Victor Hugo

                                    • Randy Scott
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                                        > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                                        can't wait
                                        > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                                        mention all
                                        > the gas money I'll save)
                                        > > Amanda Tullos
                                        > h 713.779.2247
                                        > c 281.384.3756
                                        > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                                        Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                                        one of them - before I lost my job.

                                        Randy
                                      • John Miggins
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                                          Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                                          the Toyota?

                                          We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                                          like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                                          Honda over the Toyota.

                                          thanks and good choice.
                                          I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                                          John Miggins
                                          Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                                          1571 East 22 Place
                                          Tulsa, OK 74114
                                          918-743-2299 phone/fax
                                          918-809-7223 cell

                                          http://www.harvest-energy.com
                                          > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                          of
                                          > the candidates.
                                          >
                                          > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                          wait
                                          > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                          > the gas money I'll save)
                                          >
                                          > P.S. Bush lied.
                                          >
                                          > Amanda Tullos
                                          > h 713.779.2247
                                          > c 281.384.3756
                                          > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                        • Michael Christie
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                            The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                                            in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                                            regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                                            the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                                            could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                                            impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                                            elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                                            elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                                            few.

                                            The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                                            intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                                            take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                                            your congressman about.

                                            Michael Christie

                                            Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                            Are they elected officials?
                                            Are they Senators?
                                            Can they be impeached?

                                            Randy Scott

                                            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                            > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                            The
                                            > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                            the
                                            > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                            demanding
                                            > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                            votes
                                            > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                            majority
                                            > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                            > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                            stood up to
                                            > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                            been on
                                            > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                            > Jim Duncan
                                            > ********
                                            > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                            > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                            > Victor Hugo

                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                          • Amanda Tullos
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                              I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                                              recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                                              "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                                              I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                                              Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                                              supplier, but I never finished the research)

                                              The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                                              also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                                              2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                                              was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                                              Amanda Tullos
                                              h 713.779.2247
                                              c 281.384.3756
                                              atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                              > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                              of
                                              > the candidates.
                                              >
                                              > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                              wait
                                              > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                              > the gas money I'll save)
                                              >
                                              > P.S. Bush lied.
                                              >
                                              > Amanda Tullos
                                              > h 713.779.2247