Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell

  • Jim & Janet
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 5, 2004
      I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
      registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
      don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
      Jim

      There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
      and that is an idea whose time has come.
      Victor Hugo

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 5, 2004
        I heard Adolph Hitler got elected because only 20% of the German population
        showed up to vote.

        Amanda Tullos
        atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

        I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
        registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
        don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
        Jim

        There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
        and that is an idea whose time has come.
        Victor Hugo

        > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
        > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
        >
        > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
        > Unemployment Compensation.
        >
        > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
        > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
        >
        > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
        > which won't help nearly as much.
        >
        > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
        >
        > So, when does the revolution start?
        >
        > Randy Scott
        > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
        > cons"
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Chris Smith
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
          Hitler never received a majority government. He was leader of the
          opposition and created such a stir in Parliament that the reigning
          government (Labour party?) - as a bluff - offered control to them,
          assuming that they were political neophytes and would crack under the
          pressure of running the country.
          Their first order of business, though, was to burn the parliament
          buildings down, thus rendering the new opposition (the former government)
          helpless to argue states of the nation.
          The Nazi headquarters then became the head off ice of the government.

          A little off topic, I know, but still relevant in this regard as it shows
          that small groups of people can control the majority's lives.

          Chris Smith
          (416)495-3969
          chris.smith@...

          "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@...>
          02/05/2004 10:12 PM
          Please respond to hreg

          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
          cc:

          I heard Adolph Hitler got elected because only 20% of the German
          population
          showed up to vote.

          Amanda Tullos
          atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

          I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
          registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
          don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very
          important.
          Jim

          There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
          and that is an idea whose time has come.
          Victor Hugo

          > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
          > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
          >
          > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
          > Unemployment Compensation.
          >
          > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
          > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
          >
          > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
          > which won't help nearly as much.
          >
          > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
          >
          > So, when does the revolution start?
          >
          > Randy Scott
          > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
          > cons"
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          ---
          Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

          ---

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          To visit your group on the web, go to:

        • Kim & Garth Travis
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
            Actually what makes me mad about taxes, is that the responsible people who
            pay their bills off and carry no debt have to pay more taxes. Also, people
            who have no children, in our overpopulated world. But then again, the
            nations obesity has been linked to political policy of the last 30 years by
            their subsidizing of the worst possible food crops. Who ever said
            government was for the people?
            Bright Blessings,
            Kim

          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
              On Tuesday, February 3rd there was a long radio article on National Public
              Radio concerning the economy and the so called "economic recovery". In
              this article the columnist indicated that the rural South is at this time
              the poorest and most economically depressed area of North America. Now more
              poor than rural Appalachia and/or native American reservations.

              My recent trip to Pace, Florida would verify this claim. I made a trip last
              month in order to recon the possibility of opening another office for my
              company to serve the panhandle of Florida with renewable energy products.
              Much to my surprise I found out that this area is much more depressed than
              South Texas, unemployment is very high and the top wage earners in this area
              only make around $10.00 per hour. It did not look good and Florida is one
              of the top three states for renewable energy. While I visited the area I
              think I saw one solar panel and it was a solar thermal collector.

              Like his father, George W. seems to have very little concept of what is
              required to make our economy operate in a manner that provides jobs and
              living wage to anyone other than Wall Street or his rich friends.

              God help us.

              Look for changes to our web site January 2004.
              Our new address is:
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257
              210-698-7109
              FAX: 210-698-7147
              www.sbtdesigns.com
              > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
              > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
              >
              > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
              > Unemployment Compensation.
              >
              > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
              > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
              >
              > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
              > which won't help nearly as much.
              >
              > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
              >
              > So, when does the revolution start?
              >
              > Randy Scott
              > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
              > cons"
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ooi, Han
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for Ralph Nader :-)

                Han

                I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
                Jim

                There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                and that is an idea whose time has come.
                Victor Hugo

                > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                >
                > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                > Unemployment Compensation.
                >
                > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                >
                > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                > which won't help nearly as much.
                >
                > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                >
                > So, when does the revolution start?
                >
                > Randy Scott
                > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                > cons"
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                ---
                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                ---

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • HARRISON, HEATHER L. (JSC-ZR) (MEI)
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                  That's incorrect. Gore actually won the popular vote, even with Nader
                  taking a percentage. The vote that counts is the electoral college vote,
                  none of whom voted for Nader.

                  I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
                  Ralph Nader :-)

                  Han

                  I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                  registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                  don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
                  Jim

                  There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                  and that is an idea whose time has come.
                  Victor Hugo

                  > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                  > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                  >
                  > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                  > Unemployment Compensation.
                  >
                  > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                  > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                  >
                  > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                  > which won't help nearly as much.
                  >
                  > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                  >
                  > So, when does the revolution start?
                  >
                  > Randy Scott
                  > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                  > cons"
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  ---

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                    Aw, com'on...I am just clowning with you guys.

                    Of course if you all had voted for Nader, it wouldn't have made a difference because George won Texas by a large margin.

                    Me personally, I am very optimistic that the day renewables will arrive is sooner than we think...and it will be without much government intervention.

                    Anyone check on gas and oil prices lately? All have been going up. Oil is up because the booming economies of China and India are sucking in increasing amount of oil and also because of political instability in the oil producing countries. Gas is up because restriction on drilling.

                    Soon, the price will be high enough to drive alternative technologies. The Saudis wanted to keep oil in the $20 to $29 range because that's the price where they max their profit without triggering the growth of alternative tech and energy. But the new demand and instability is tipping the price out of that ideal range.

                    So the day, is coming, and will be upon us soon.

                    Han

                    That's incorrect. Gore actually won the popular vote, even with Nader
                    taking a percentage. The vote that counts is the electoral college vote,
                    none of whom voted for Nader.

                    I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
                    Ralph Nader :-)

                    Han

                    I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                    registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                    don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
                    Jim

                    There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                    and that is an idea whose time has come.
                    Victor Hugo

                    > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                    > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                    >
                    > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                    > Unemployment Compensation.
                    >
                    > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                    > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                    >
                    > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                    > which won't help nearly as much.
                    >
                    > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                    >
                    > So, when does the revolution start?
                    >
                    > Randy Scott
                    > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                    > cons"
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    ---

                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                      Ok, maybe that was a joke. Sorry. Maybe I jumped the gun on that. It's
                      too easy to get emotional about things like that....

                      I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
                      Ralph Nader :-)

                      Han

                      I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                      registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                      don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
                      Jim

                      There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                      and that is an idea whose time has come.
                      Victor Hugo

                      > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                      > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                      >
                      > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                      > Unemployment Compensation.
                      >
                      > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                      > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                      >
                      > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                      > which won't help nearly as much.
                      >
                      > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                      >
                      > So, when does the revolution start?
                      >
                      > Randy Scott
                      > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                      > cons"
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      ---

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                        Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                        Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                        people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                        in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                        than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                        leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                        The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                        the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                        the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                        Jim Duncan
                        ********
                        There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                        and that is an idea whose time has come.
                        Victor Hugo

                        > I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
                        Ralph Nader :-)

                        > Han
                      • Chris Smith
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                          Try the Canadian system..... with 3, 4 and 5 parties running, 35% of the
                          popular vote is a landslide victory.

                          Chris Smith
                          (416)495-3969
                          chris.smith@...

                          "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@...>
                          02/06/2004 10:50 AM
                          Please respond to hreg

                          To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
                          cc:

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                            Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                            love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                            interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                            Bright Blessings,
                            Kim

                            At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                            >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                            >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                            >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                            >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                            >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                            >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                            >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                            >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                            >Jim Duncan
                            >********
                            >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                            >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                            >Victor Hugo

                          • Chris Smith
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                              Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.

                              Chris Smith
                              (416)495-3969
                              chris.smith@...

                              Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                              02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                              Please respond to hreg

                              To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                              cc:

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                From: "Ooi, Han" <Han.Ooi@...>

                                > Soon, the price will be high enough to drive alternative technologies.
                                The Saudis wanted to keep oil in the $20 to $29 range >because that's the
                                price where they max their profit without triggering the growth of
                                alternative tech and energy. But the new >demand and instability is tipping
                                the price out of that ideal range.

                                Prices are today around $35/barrel. Why don't we see price spikes at the
                                pump? The international oil cartel is easily able to absorb massive drops in
                                profits in order to keep supplies at affordable pump prices.
                                The US is looking seriously at Russian oil reserves because of the dangers
                                and roadblocks in the Middle East. The cheap oil is gone.
                                Look, I can't emphasize enough that you at least get your hands on a copy of
                                Michael Osbornes book, Silver in The Mine' (no Michael doesn't pay me to
                                push his book. After all, he's GIVING it away) for some very compelling
                                information on oil.
                                Jim Duncan
                                ******
                                ...the perfect is the enemy of the good.
                                Voltaire
                              • chasmauch@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                  Our tax code is absurd in many respects. Like why do we still subsidize large families? You should get a deduction for one child or maybe two, nothing for the 3rd, and start getting penalties for any over that number.

                                  But it is the hidden stuff that bugs me. For instance WalMart is now the biggest employer in the country - I think it has about a million employees. The Walton heirs are all multibillionaires, but still squeeze every dime they can out of their employees by paying rock bottom wages (see "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenrich).

                                  But in fact those low wages are subsidized by the taxpayers. When the underpaid folks with no health care or other benefits get sick, what do they do? Right - they go where all the other poor people go - to an emergency room to get routine care in the most expensive and inefficient manner possible. They also get food stamps and other forms of poverty assistance. Why do we subsidize the Waltons? Or for that matter, all the other places that give low pay and no benefits - Target, Home Depot, etc, etc, etc. We think they provide us with things at low cost but in fact we are paying much more than is reflected in those blue light specials and other "low, low prices." I think some of those costs should be charged back to the employers.

                                  Oops - guess my populist blood is acting up again. I will probably get a lot of lectures explaining how "free markets" work. Yeah, right.

                                  Charlie
                                • Chris Smith
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                    Um...... Ontario has 30% of the population and contributes 50% of the
                                    money.
                                    "Rape" isn't exactly an accurate term. "Support" may be more apt.

                                    Chris Smith
                                    (416)495-3969
                                    chris.smith@...

                                    Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                                    02/06/2004 11:51 AM
                                    Please respond to hreg

                                    To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                    cc:

                                    Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                                    Bright Blessings,
                                    Kim

                                    At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                                    >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                                    >
                                    >Chris Smith
                                    >(416)495-3969
                                    >chris.smith@...
                                    >

                                    >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                                    >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                                    >Please respond to hreg
                                    >

                                    > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                    > cc:
                                    > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                                    >

                                    >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                                    >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                                    >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                                    >Bright Blessings,
                                    >Kim
                                    >
                                    >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                    > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                                    > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                                    > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                    >demanding
                                    > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                    votes
                                    > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                    majority
                                    > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                    > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood
                                    up
                                    > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been
                                    on
                                    > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                    > >Jim Duncan
                                    > >********
                                    > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                    > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                    > >Victor Hugo

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                      Exactly, and that allowed them to rape the western provinces.
                                      Bright Blessings,
                                      Kim

                                      At 11:14 AM 2/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >Ontario + Quebec = 55% of the country's population.
                                      >
                                      >Chris Smith
                                      >(416)495-3969
                                      >chris.smith@...
                                      >

                                      >Kim & Garth Travis <gartht@...>
                                      >02/06/2004 11:13 AM
                                      >Please respond to hreg
                                      >

                                      > To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
                                      > cc:
                                      > Subject: Re: [hreg] I'm mad as hell
                                      >

                                      >Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                                      >love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                                      >interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                                      >Bright Blessings,
                                      >Kim
                                      >
                                      >At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                      > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                                      > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                                      > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                      >demanding
                                      > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                                      > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                                      > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                      > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                                      > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                                      > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                      > >Jim Duncan
                                      > >********
                                      > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                      > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                      > >Victor Hugo

                                    • BASHIR A SYED

                                        That's incorrect.  Gore actually won the popular vote, even with Nader
                                        taking a percentage.  The vote that counts is the electoral college vote,
                                        none of whom voted for Nader.

                                        I heard George Bush got elected because the people on this board voted for
                                        Ralph Nader  :-)

                                        Han

                                        I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                                        registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                                        don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very important.
                                        Jim

                                        There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                        and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                        Victor Hugo

                                        > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                                        > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                                        >
                                        > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                                        > Unemployment Compensation.
                                        >
                                        > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                                        > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                                        >
                                        > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                                        > which won't help nearly as much.
                                        >
                                        > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                                        >
                                        > So, when does the revolution start?
                                        >
                                        > Randy Scott
                                        > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                                        > cons"
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        ---
                                        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                        ---

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • Michael Christie
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                          Chris,

                                          There is no proof that the Nazi's had anything to do with the burning of the
                                          Reichstag. The arsonist was a mentally disturbed Dutch man. His name escapes
                                          me at the moment, but most any history book about Hitler will have the
                                          information. He was caught inside the building with fire accelerants. It
                                          does appear to be something that the Nazi's would do, but the facts seem to
                                          be that they just didn't think of it. Oh, by the way, it was his election to
                                          the Reichstag that had the low voter turnout, and it is true that Hindenburg
                                          promoted him to Chancellor.

                                          Yes, a little off topic, but that's OK with me. Oh, by the way, I have voted
                                          in more elections in Harris County in the last fifteen years than 99.999% of
                                          registered voters and I am PROUD of the fact! Haven't missed a single one,
                                          including primaries.

                                          Jim & Janet, have you ever considered becoming voter registrars? That way
                                          you can do more than ask people to register to vote, you can sign them up on
                                          the spot. Keep up the good work, and I hope more people on this site will
                                          follow your example.

                                          Michael Christie

                                          I have become very bold in public about asking total strangers if they are
                                          registered to vote. At the checkout, elevators, street corner, anywhere. I
                                          don't do any politicing, just letting people know that it's very
                                          important.
                                          Jim

                                          There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                          and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                          Victor Hugo

                                          > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                                          > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                                          >
                                          > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                                          > Unemployment Compensation.
                                          >
                                          > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                                          > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                                          >
                                          > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                                          > which won't help nearly as much.
                                          >
                                          > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                                          >
                                          > So, when does the revolution start?
                                          >
                                          > Randy Scott
                                          > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                                          > cons"
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          ---

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                            Not when they take raw materials at less than market and then sell finished
                                            stuff at premium. If it is support then why is Alberta oil cheaper in
                                            Ontario, than at home? There is a reason for the t-shirts that read: "let
                                            them easter "B's" freeze in the dark."
                                            Bright Blessings,
                                            Kim

                                          • Paul Archer
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                              Actually, the best voting system is one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                                              In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                                              them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                                              third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                                              kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                                              think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                                              think...

                                              Paul

                                              PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                                              problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                                              one-vote.

                                              10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                                              > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                                              > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                                              > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                                              > Bright Blessings,
                                              > Kim
                                              >
                                              > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                              > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                                              > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                                              > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is demanding
                                              > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                                              > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                                              > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                              > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up to
                                              > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                                              > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                              > >Jim Duncan
                                              > >********
                                              > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                              > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                              > >Victor Hugo

                                              "Welcome to downtown Coolsville--population: us."
                                            • Amanda Tullos
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                                I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any of
                                                the candidates.

                                                On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't wait
                                                for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                                the gas money I'll save)

                                                P.S. Bush lied.

                                                Amanda Tullos
                                                h 713.779.2247
                                                c 281.384.3756
                                                atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                                one-man(person)-one-vote--per-candidate.
                                                In other words, if there are three people on the ballot, and you like two of
                                                them, you vote for them both. The advantage is that you can support a
                                                third-party candidate without "throwing away your vote." Unfortunately, it's
                                                kind of a hard sell, since it doesn't seem like it would work (until you
                                                think about it)--and we all know how hard it is to get the average Joe to
                                                think...

                                                Paul

                                                PS. The other popular alternative system is ranking candidates; it has
                                                problems when you get into edge cases. It's still better than one-person-
                                                one-vote.

                                                10:13am, Kim & Garth Travis wrote:

                                                > Excuse me, but the one man one vote system has its flaws. I personally
                                                > love the electoral college and wish Canada had one. For too long, the
                                                > interests of Ontario and Quebec have ruled the country.
                                                > Bright Blessings,
                                                > Kim
                                                >
                                                > At 09:50 AM 2/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                                > >Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US. The
                                                > >Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of the
                                                > >people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                                demanding
                                                > >in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the votes
                                                > >than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi majority
                                                > >leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                                > >The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully stood up
                                                > >the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has been on
                                                > >the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                                > >Jim Duncan
                                                > >********
                                                > >There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                                > >and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                                > >Victor Hugo

                                                ---
                                                Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                                                ---
                                              • Steven M. Stelzer
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Feb 6, 2004
                                                  A few years ago on the way to Disney world, I saw a great many solar water
                                                  heater panels on roofs around Orlando, and a few solar panels. Florida
                                                  actually subsidizes renewable energy, and their energy code is very
                                                  advanced. The Florida Solar Energy Center of UCF is a frontrunner in the
                                                  study of hot/humid climate issues, and may be a good resource for your
                                                  inquiries. I've found Florida renewable equipment vendors to have a good
                                                  web presence, which you might want to investigate.

                                                  For what it's worth,

                                                  Steve Stelzer

                                                  > I just got through figuring my taxes, including $7500 of deductions
                                                  > for mortgage interest & property taxes.
                                                  >
                                                  > I've been unemployed for 7 months and have to pay taxes on my
                                                  > Unemployment Compensation.
                                                  >
                                                  > If I did not have to pay tax on the UnComp, I would get a refund of
                                                  > over $1000 which would help me survive until I get a job.
                                                  >
                                                  > Including the unemployment results in a refund barely over $100,
                                                  > which won't help nearly as much.
                                                  >
                                                  > ....and that's after 7 months of no paychecks.
                                                  >
                                                  > So, when does the revolution start?
                                                  >
                                                  > Randy Scott
                                                  > "ready to load up my 2nd Amendment & go hunting yellow-bellied neo-
                                                  > cons"
                                                  >

                                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                • David M. Eggleston
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                    For a good introduction to improved voting systems used in some places even in the
                                                    U.S., and a thorough discussion of how our current election system is faulty, check
                                                    out this book:

                                                    Fixing Elections: The Failure of America's Winner Take All System, by Steven Hill,
                                                    Routledge Press, 2002, ISBN 0-415-93193-2

                                                    David

                                                    David M. Eggleston
                                                    VelomobileUSA, LLC
                                                    Midland, TX
                                                    www.VelomobileUSA.com
                                                  • Randy Scott
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                      Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                                      Are they elected officials?
                                                      Are they Senators?
                                                      Can they be impeached?

                                                      Randy Scott

                                                      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                                      > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                                      The
                                                      > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                                      the
                                                      > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                                      demanding
                                                      > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                                      votes
                                                      > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                                      majority
                                                      > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                                      > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                                      stood up to
                                                      > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                                      been on
                                                      > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                                      > Jim Duncan
                                                      > ********
                                                      > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                                      > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                                      > Victor Hugo

                                                    • Randy Scott
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Feb 7, 2004
                                                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Amanda Tullos" <atullos@h...> wrote:

                                                        > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I
                                                        can't wait
                                                        > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to
                                                        mention all
                                                        > the gas money I'll save)
                                                        > > Amanda Tullos
                                                        > h 713.779.2247
                                                        > c 281.384.3756
                                                        > atullos@h... <mailto:atullos@h...>

                                                        Congratulations on that new car. I was seriously shopping around for
                                                        one of them - before I lost my job.

                                                        Randy
                                                      • John Miggins
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 8, 2004
                                                          Congratulations on the hybrid Amanda, what made you choose the Honda over
                                                          the Toyota?

                                                          We are shopping for one and waiting for one that has a little more space
                                                          like a CRV, but I was curious as to why you choose the

                                                          Honda over the Toyota.

                                                          thanks and good choice.
                                                          I am glad the $2000 deductions is still available.

                                                          John Miggins
                                                          Harvest Solar and Wind Power
                                                          1571 East 22 Place
                                                          Tulsa, OK 74114
                                                          918-743-2299 phone/fax
                                                          918-809-7223 cell

                                                          http://www.harvest-energy.com
                                                          > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                                          of
                                                          > the candidates.
                                                          >
                                                          > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                                          wait
                                                          > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                                          > the gas money I'll save)
                                                          >
                                                          > P.S. Bush lied.
                                                          >
                                                          > Amanda Tullos
                                                          > h 713.779.2247
                                                          > c 281.384.3756
                                                          > atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                                        • Michael Christie
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                                            The electors are appointed by each party. Only the winning parties electors,
                                                            in each state, will vote in the electoral college. They tend to be party
                                                            regulars, campaign contributors or people who have worked on elections, and
                                                            the like, but there is no real litmus test other than party loyalty. You
                                                            could become an elector yourself. Go talk to your party. They cannot be
                                                            impeached, and each electors vote is final, and cannot be appealed. The
                                                            elector is not legally bound to vote for the candidate that they have been
                                                            elected to vote for, and there have been defections in the past, but very
                                                            few.

                                                            The electoral college is, in my opinion, an archaic institute that was never
                                                            intended to be permanent and should be abolished. Unfortunately, it will
                                                            take a constitutional ammendment. This is an excellent subject to speak to
                                                            your congressman about.

                                                            Michael Christie

                                                            Just exactly WHO are the people who make up the electoral college?
                                                            Are they elected officials?
                                                            Are they Senators?
                                                            Can they be impeached?

                                                            Randy Scott

                                                            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Janet" <jhd1@e...> wrote:
                                                            > Bush was elected because of the archaic method of voting in the US.
                                                            The
                                                            > Electoral College system is seldom a reflection of the true will of
                                                            the
                                                            > people. This is similar to the election model the Bush regime is
                                                            demanding
                                                            > in Iraq. 'Regional Caucuses are a better method of manipulating the
                                                            votes
                                                            > than the tried and true 'one-man-one-vote' system that the Iraqi
                                                            majority
                                                            > leaders want. (No offense ladies, but the women cannot vote there)
                                                            > The Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Husseini al-Sistani has successfully
                                                            stood up to
                                                            > the Pentagon and demanded fair elections. For his trouble, he has
                                                            been on
                                                            > the recieving end of a 3rd unsuccessful assination attempt.
                                                            > Jim Duncan
                                                            > ********
                                                            > There is one thing stronger than all the armies in the world,
                                                            > and that is an idea whose time has come.
                                                            > Victor Hugo

                                                            Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                          • Amanda Tullos
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 9, 2004
                                                              I chose the Honda because of price and 3.9% financing. Also, my husband
                                                              recommended we NOT buy the Toyota because it is the first year after a major
                                                              "redesign" (which could mean unforeseen problems).

                                                              I test drove several cars, including the Diesel turbo beetle and a 2001
                                                              Toyota Prius. (I was hoping to possibly use bio-diesel from a local
                                                              supplier, but I never finished the research)

                                                              The new Prius is more expensive because it is "Car of the year" and there is
                                                              also wait. So, I went to Gillman Honda-- they had 2 hybrids, a 2003 and a
                                                              2004. I bought the 2004. I used the AAA website as a go-by to make sure I
                                                              was getting a good deal- you can get fleet pricing if you are a member.

                                                              Amanda Tullos
                                                              h 713.779.2247
                                                              c 281.384.3756
                                                              atullos@... <mailto:atullos@...>

                                                              > I wish we could vote for "None of the above," sometimes I don't like any
                                                              of
                                                              > the candidates.
                                                              >
                                                              > On a separate note, I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid this week and I can't
                                                              wait
                                                              > for my $2,000.00 tax deduction at the end of the year. (Not to mention all
                                                              > the gas money I'll save)
                                                              >
                                                              > P.S. Bush lied.
                                                              >
                                                              > Amanda Tullos
                                                              > h 713.779.2247