Re: [hreg] Apollo Alliance

  • Steven Shepard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2004
      My experience could verify what you write.

      Before I went into business I tried to transfer from Dept of Defense
      employment to NASA or a NASA contractor. I also got heavily involved as a
      space activist and in that capacity I was the Publicity Director for the
      10th International Space Development Conference and I helped create the
      annual event Spaceday at Brooks AFB back in the early nineties. What I
      found out is that not only is there a lot of competition for positions but
      the space community is very much a closed shop and they do not welcome
      outsiders. NASA and their contractors have a tendency to groom new
      employees from universities and draw expertise from the military. Unless
      you come from that realm it is remote and unlikely you are going to get on
      board.

      In that regard, it is unlikely that a space mission will create much in the
      way of jobs and an economic stimulus. In fact, ambitious space missions
      like the moon landings are a tremendous drain on the government budget.
      These missions are exciting, they are definitely more productive than war
      but they only return a fraction in technology advances in comparison to
      their overall expense to the taxpayer. Actually the technology that NASA
      might use for a mission back to the Moon or Mars already exists and in that
      regard NASA would not be required to invent much to make these missions
      possible. They just want money.

      Look for changes to our web site January 2004.
      Our new address is:
      SBT Designs
      25581 IH-10 West
      San Antonio, Texas 78257