RE: [hreg] Apollo Alliance

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
      With just a quick look it seems like a pretty good thing to endorse.  I didn't see any requirements for "joining" them.  Perhaps we should ask Kathryn Houser what she thinks about TXSES joining.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
        I have searched their web site and do not find any means of "joining" them.   They mention they have received letters of support from the Presidents of several national non-profits, like Sierra Club.  It also says they will begin seeking support from other groups in the next 6 months, so at that time there may be a mechanism for expressing endorsement.  For now it appears to be a project to watch.
        Kathryn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
          I would like to contrast the program proposed by the
          Apollo Alliance to President Bush's recently proposed New
          Vision for Space Exploration.

          While I work in the Aerospace industry and recognize the
          need to finish the space station, retire the shuttle, and
          develop a new space vehicle - the goals of visiting the
          Moon and Mars and establishing a permanent presence on
          the Moon don't seem to have the same payback for cost.

          The Apollo Alliance would spend a specified amount of
          money over a specified amount of time, create jobs, and
          benefit nearly every American in some way.

          The Space Initiative, while a budget of a sort is proposed,
          doesn't completely account for all development costs. The
          time frame would likely expand from the initial estimate.
          New jobs would be created, but targeted in very specific
          industries. Many Americans would definitely benefit, but
          probably not as many or in as many ways as they would
          under the Apollo Project. In pollution measures alone, the
          Apollo Project beats the Space Initiative hands down.

          While the Moon and Mars are sexy and beckon us, the
          wisdom of the Apollo project ought to be where we focus
          our attention.

          Steve

          Care2 make the world greener!
          It's 2004 - time to gear up for November's Presidential election. Which candidate do you support? http://www.care2.com/go/z/election04
        • Steven Shepard
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2004
            My experience could verify what you write.

            Before I went into business I tried to transfer from Dept of Defense
            employment to NASA or a NASA contractor. I also got heavily involved as a
            space activist and in that capacity I was the Publicity Director for the
            10th International Space Development Conference and I helped create the
            annual event Spaceday at Brooks AFB back in the early nineties. What I
            found out is that not only is there a lot of competition for positions but
            the space community is very much a closed shop and they do not welcome
            outsiders. NASA and their contractors have a tendency to groom new
            employees from universities and draw expertise from the military. Unless
            you come from that realm it is remote and unlikely you are going to get on
            board.

            In that regard, it is unlikely that a space mission will create much in the
            way of jobs and an economic stimulus. In fact, ambitious space missions
            like the moon landings are a tremendous drain on the government budget.
            These missions are exciting, they are definitely more productive than war
            but they only return a fraction in technology advances in comparison to
            their overall expense to the taxpayer. Actually the technology that NASA
            might use for a mission back to the Moon or Mars already exists and in that
            regard NASA would not be required to invent much to make these missions
            possible. They just want money.

            Look for changes to our web site January 2004.
            Our new address is:
            SBT Designs
            25581 IH-10 West
            San Antonio, Texas 78257