Apollo Alliance

  • chasmauch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
      Is anyone familiar with the Apollo Alliance? It favors a national max effort on renewable energy and is backed by many labor and environmental organizations and a number of politicians. More details are available at: www.apolloalliance.org.

      Is this something we should join? I know some members have expressed scepticism about "crash projects" but this one seems reasonable and has considerable backing. Thoughts?

      Charlie
    • Mike Ewert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 12, 2004
        With just a quick look it seems like a pretty good thing to endorse.  I didn't see any requirements for "joining" them.  Perhaps we should ask Kathryn Houser what she thinks about TXSES joining.
        Is anyone familiar with the Apollo Alliance? It favors a national max effort on renewable energy and is backed by many labor and environmental organizations and a number of politicians. More details are available at: www.apolloalliance.org.

        Is this something we should join? I know some members have expressed scepticism about "crash projects" but this one seems reasonable and has considerable backing. Thoughts?

        Charlie

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Texas Solar Energy Society
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 14, 2004
          I have searched their web site and do not find any means of "joining" them.   They mention they have received letters of support from the Presidents of several national non-profits, like Sierra Club.  It also says they will begin seeking support from other groups in the next 6 months, so at that time there may be a mechanism for expressing endorsement.  For now it appears to be a project to watch.
          Kathryn
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 15, 2004
            I would like to contrast the program proposed by the
            Apollo Alliance to President Bush's recently proposed New
            Vision for Space Exploration.

            While I work in the Aerospace industry and recognize the
            need to finish the space station, retire the shuttle, and
            develop a new space vehicle - the goals of visiting the
            Moon and Mars and establishing a permanent presence on
            the Moon don't seem to have the same payback for cost.

            The Apollo Alliance would spend a specified amount of
            money over a specified amount of time, create jobs, and
            benefit nearly every American in some way.

            The Space Initiative, while a budget of a sort is proposed,
            doesn't completely account for all development costs. The
            time frame would likely expand from the initial estimate.
            New jobs would be created, but targeted in very specific
            industries. Many Americans would definitely benefit, but
            probably not as many or in as many ways as they would
            under the Apollo Project. In pollution measures alone, the
            Apollo Project beats the Space Initiative hands down.

            While the Moon and Mars are sexy and beckon us, the
            wisdom of the Apollo project ought to be where we focus
            our attention.

            Steve

            Care2 make the world greener!
            It's 2004 - time to gear up for November's Presidential election. Which candidate do you support? http://www.care2.com/go/z/election04
          • Steven Shepard
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2004
              My experience could verify what you write.

              Before I went into business I tried to transfer from Dept of Defense
              employment to NASA or a NASA contractor. I also got heavily involved as a
              space activist and in that capacity I was the Publicity Director for the
              10th International Space Development Conference and I helped create the
              annual event Spaceday at Brooks AFB back in the early nineties. What I
              found out is that not only is there a lot of competition for positions but
              the space community is very much a closed shop and they do not welcome
              outsiders. NASA and their contractors have a tendency to groom new
              employees from universities and draw expertise from the military. Unless
              you come from that realm it is remote and unlikely you are going to get on
              board.

              In that regard, it is unlikely that a space mission will create much in the
              way of jobs and an economic stimulus. In fact, ambitious space missions
              like the moon landings are a tremendous drain on the government budget.
              These missions are exciting, they are definitely more productive than war
              but they only return a fraction in technology advances in comparison to
              their overall expense to the taxpayer. Actually the technology that NASA
              might use for a mission back to the Moon or Mars already exists and in that
              regard NASA would not be required to invent much to make these missions
              possible. They just want money.

              Look for changes to our web site January 2004.
              Our new address is:
              SBT Designs
              25581 IH-10 West
              San Antonio, Texas 78257