RE: [hreg] An analysis of the future of hydrogen fuel

  • Mike Ewert
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2004
      I'm curious what Chris or others think about this statement on the website:
      "Given the existing electrolysis technologies and platinum mining technologies, the platinum catalyst has to continue to work in the fuel cell without being damaged for almost three decades to get positive energy payback from the fuel cell"

      Can the platinum be recycled from fuel cells?

      The same arguments have been used against renewable energy devices.  If I recall correctly, the most reliable calculations I've seen are:
      PV ~ 1 year or a little more energy payback (used to be a lot higher)
      large wind - a few months