Re: [hreg] FW: solar lawnmowers

  • James Ferrill
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2000
      "Kevin L. Conlin" wrote:

      > Your theory on the self discharge is correct, however the mechanism was a
      > little different. The actual reason, according to my battery expert, is as
      > follows.

      That's a really good explaination. We ought to collect those into a book. One
      guy in that newsgroup made up a bogus explaination that postulated that there
      were concrete mites and acid mites that multiplied into battery-draining
      colonies when batteries were put on concrete. It wasn't true, but the way he
      told it was hilarious! :-)

      > Best regards, Kevin PS How's the Solar Clubhouse coming? Will it
      > be ready in time for football season?

      Things have been going well. I start a new job Monday, so I'll be able to
      continue buying solar toys :-) I finished the battery cabinet Tuesday, put it in
      the shed, and vented it to the outside. It has one 24V string of 4 golf cart
      batteries @ 220 AH installed and connected to the bus bar system. I'll probably
      put in another set tomorrow if I can find enough good ones at Sams.
      Unfortunately, they back-ordered my charge controller, so I'm going to get
      another one so I can move the project along. It's supposed to be raining anyway
      for a few days, so I'll have to wait to mount the panels.

      James