Solar Water Pump Project Alvin Texas

  • John Miggins
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
      Here are some details on a solar water pump that was just started in the
      Alvin area by Kim Reid and assisted by Harvest Solar.

      Kim has done amazing things for this public school 1-6 grade all with
      donated or his own funds. He was given a 2 acre site to

      develop a greenhouse and environmentally friendly area to teach the kids
      animal husbandry, landscaping, 4H and other things.

      he build a 80 by 20 foot greenhouse, pond, water pump and installed cedar
      posts, over 100 different kinds of plants and two water well.

      We helped him with the submersible well, 4" casing, water is only 20 foot
      down, He had a boyscout build a 20 foot tower and is installing

      a 200 gallon tank. The working will be as follows. water will be pumped
      from the well to fill the water tank, from there a surface pump will

      keep the lines pressurized and provide pressurized water to allow the
      students to water the plants at will.

      We designed a dual pump system, (in process of installation) that has 2 BP
      Solar panels charging 4 225 amp 6 volt batteries that feed both the

      downhole pump and the surface pump. There is also an DC to AC inverter to
      allow the use of AC appliances.

      Here is a picture of the site, the tower and tank will be installed in a
      week or so. It is wired and working.

      This is a good example of what can be done with solar and a little
      creativity. They initially wanted just to fill the tank but being a 4 to 9
      gallon per minute

      pump this would have taken about 3 hours leaving the solar panels wasted for
      most of the day. By coupling them to batteries and an AC inverter, the

      tank can be filled and the solar power used to spray, light, heat or any
      number of other things as needed by the user.

      Kim Reed is very active in the Habitat for Humanity project in Alvin,
      Friendswood and Pearland, and in Mexico.

      I can send system diagrams if anyone is interested. Here is a picture of
      Kim and some of the park. Well casing can be seen in white, tower and tank
      are

      being built now. On the other well he is installing a wind generator to
      show how they can

      pump water as well. This is an old style wind generator. When done we will
      send completed pictures.

      There are projects going on out there, just not always time to publicize
      them and not sure how you all feel about using this group for business.

      By all means let us know if you want to tour any of these sites and if you
      have any questions.

      We are working on several Solar Water Heating projects and pool heaters.
      Free advise.

      John Miggins
      Harvest Solar and Wind Power
      1571 East 22 Place
      Tulsa, OK 74114
      918-743-2299 phone/fax
      918-809-7223 cell

      http://www.harvest-energy.com Web site down.

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@c...> wrote:
        > Here are some details on a solar water pump that was just started
        > in the Alvin area by Kim Reid and assisted by Harvest Solar.
        > Kim has done amazing things for this public school 1-6 grade all
        > with donated or his own funds...
        > There are projects going on out there, just not always time to
        > publicize them and not sure how you all feel about using this
        > group for business.

        I cannot speak for the group or its guidelines (?), but I for one
        have no objection to directly alternative energy business mention
        here for one very simple reason: until the field develops (hey,
        until it shows even a glimmer of *life* in the Houston area!),
        anything is better than nothing, and signs of life, no matter the
        context, can only help fire the interest and imagination of people
        patiently waiting for something to happen.

        That said, and with advance apologies since I don't in any way wish
        to disparage anyone's efforts, volunteer projects and solar water
        heating bore me to tears. Call it a personal thing and forgive me.
        I can drive for hours in my corner of Harris County and not see a
        single solar panel of any type, much less an array of PV panels.

        What interests me is real PV being planned or done in the multi-KW
        region. That' because what will make a difference to the country
        and to Texas is wide deployment of PV to displace or augment
        conventional utility power. I've scoured the Internet and found the
        Texas Infinite Energy and Million Solar Roofs programs, the Energy
        Efficient Mortgage guarantee programs, the corporate franchise tax
        exemption, the property tax appraisal exemption, etc... pretty much
        all the pieces one could want except a Kalifornia-style rebate,
        which is what everyone seems to be waiting for.

        I don't need or want to wait. If utility electricity costs me 10
        cents and amortized PV will cost me 20 cents, I don't care -- I want
        it. I may be in a minority, but believe me, I'm not the only one.
        The early implementors will be people like me who just want to DO IT.

        The premise of Texas Infinite Energy is very interesting. Texas is
        large and, for its area, underpopulated. Growth in Texas is
        severely limited by the high cost of building power plants and
        distributing electricity over our long distances. Someone in Austin
        had a few brian cells functioning when they realized that a
        beautiful answer to the limits on the economic growth of the Texas
        economy is alternative energy, generated close to the new centers of
        consumption and thereby bypassing the traditional constraints. It's
        a surprisingly logical concept to find in anything sponsored by a
        government.

        But I notice that a lot of the grant money at all levels is targeted
        at public entities. Maybe it's a Good Thing that the library or the
        county office building or the federal facility covers its roof with
        PV and saves a ton on utility bills, but my take on that is that A)
        it doesn't do diddly for thee or me, and B) any money saved by
        government will promptly be committed to new spending. We will
        *never* see any tax bill lowered as a result of such projects.

        Were I alrady in the PV or wind power business, yes, I might bid on
        such contracts, because it's almost the only thing that is going
        on. But what I'd really like to be doing is building a business
        that puts PV on homes and small businesses to give them the freedom
        I'd like to have from future rate hikes and nonsense charges.

        Substantial economic benefits will accrue to the sunshine States
        that deploy PV and wind power early on. Eventually, substantial
        benefits will accrue to the country by reduced dependence on foreign
        oil. And it's not just economic, it's also political. Who among us
        hasn't considered that we might have been a lot tougher with the
        Saudis over their connections to terrorism were it not for the fact
        that if we were cut off from Saudi oil overnight our economy might
        collapse? How far did we go in compromising our security interests
        due to dependence on foreign oil? Clearly the nation will wake up
        to this within a short time and there will be a major shift in
        attitudes a policies with regard to alternative energy, but the time
        to start is NOW, even if we just start as individuals and small
        groups.

        > By all means let us know if you want to tour any of these sites
        > and if you have any questions.

        Despite my comments above I wouldn't rule that out, because the
        technology is the technology no matter the context in which it is
        deployed. More of us need to *see* the stuff in action, to *touch*
        it, to get the gut feel that it's real.

        I've already called one of the people on this list and we had a very
        nice, productive conversation. The benefits even of just comparing
        notes are already evident. Moreover, we discovered that we have a
        lot more in common than we might have thought. Possibilities abound.

        How about this? If anyone within, say, 30 minutes or whatever you
        consider easy driving time of NW Harris County contact me and I'll
        see what I can do about setting up an informal meeting so we can get
        to know each other. Maybe we'll make some good connections, maybe
        we'll find some new friends, maybe some business possibilities will
        emerge. It can't possibly be negative -- it has to be positive, so
        let's try to get together. If it works we can try larger meets
        encompassing more people.

        Reply to solar at tjunker dot com
      • James Ferrill
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2003
          At 05:37 PM 12/29/2003, you wrote:
          >--- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "John Miggins" <jmiggins@c...> wrote:
          > > Here are some details on a solar water pump that was just started
          > > in the Alvin area by Kim Reid and assisted by Harvest Solar.
          > > Kim has done amazing things for this public school 1-6 grade all
          > > with donated or his own funds...
          > > There are projects going on out there, just not always time to
          > > publicize them and not sure how you all feel about using this
          > > group for business.
          >
          >How about this? If anyone within, say, 30 minutes or whatever you
          >consider easy driving time of NW Harris County contact me and I'll
          >see what I can do about setting up an informal meeting so we can get
          >to know each other. Maybe we'll make some good connections, maybe
          >we'll find some new friends, maybe some business possibilities will
          >emerge. It can't possibly be negative -- it has to be positive, so
          >let's try to get together. If it works we can try larger meets
          >encompassing more people.

          We already have this. They're called HREG meetings. Here's a link with more
          information:

          http://www.txses.org/hreg/events.php

          Thank you for your interest.

          James Ferrill