Re: Solor Energy anyone?

  • tjwangvs
    Message 1 of 31 , Dec 28, 2003
      I've been wondering the same thing. I joined because I have a keen
      interest in PV and in starting a business installing and servicing
      residential and small business PV systems. What I've seen have been
      postings about solar cookers, a lot about the extras needed for the
      film event in Austin, and just *one* posting about a real PV
      system. Anyone in the Houston area who has looked knows that there
      is virtually nothing happening here. The only brick and mortar
      business in the area that claims to be in the business turned out to
      be a joke when I dropped in on them a few months ago.

      I've been interested in alternative energy for about 35 years. When
      I first developed the interest it was the days of The Whole Earth
      Catalog but virtually nothing was being manufactured and nothing was
      available off the shelf, so it was a field mostly for those
      independently wealthy hobbyist/engineers who could afford to tinker
      in it. I got busy with other things and stopped paying attention.

      This past summer my interest was rekindled by $400/mo electricity
      bills. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that *everything*
      needed for PV installations is not only now available off the shelf,
      it is a mature field with multiple manufacturers of all the
      components and a track record that makes PV eminently viable. And
      yet deployment, despite highly touted demonstration sites, is
      virtually nil.

      The fact that PV power is still marginally more expensive than
      utility power is irrelevant in my opinion. This market can be
      opened up now because there are enough people like me to make it
      happen -- people who don't care whether PV will save money in
      accounting terms but who dream of sitting on the patio, Bacardi and
      Coke in hand, giggling as we watch the electric meter run backward.
      At any cost even approximately in the ballpark I want freedom from
      relentless utility bills, relentless rate increases, relentless
      nickle-and-diming through schemes such as the "fuel adjustment." I
      want to know that no matter what I paid for the PV system, all the
      future shenanigans of the utility companies will be irrelevant to me.

      I'm in the 290/1960 area and very serious about getting into the PV
      systems business. I have a house and yard with considerable
      southern sky exposure and I have the technical background
      appropriate to set up my own PV system. What I lack at the moment
      is funds, but even that could change without outside help because my
      primary business has substantial peaks as well as troughs.

      I also have a friend in the mortgage business. I'm trying to prod
      him to interest his company in developing expertise in the specialty
      of Energy Efficient Mortgages.

      I'd like to hear from others who are bored to tears by solar cookers
      and solar water heaters and would like to *do* something about real,
      multi-KW PV.

      One way or another I'm going to do this, and I'm going to end up in
      this business. I'd like to hear from others who are similarly
      driven and who would like to see hreg mean something more than a BBQ
      or political debating club.

      Reply to solar at tjunker dot com

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Kelley" <rdkelley@p...>
      wrote:
      > When I looked at the hreg website there was mention of projects
      > such as solar powered Air conditioning and Solar lawn mowers.
      >
      > Or is this only a political site? Does anyone share any ideas
      > about the practical applications of solar panel or wind? Or
      > should I just read my Home Power magazine.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Richard D. Kelley, PMP
      > Certified Project Manger
      > Rdkelley@p...
      > (281) 933 - 3958
    • Paul Archer
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2004
        If you would take the time to read your "E" mail, you might just notice
        that there is a line (happens to be at the bottom of this "E" mail, too)
        that starts with, "To unsubscribe..." Why don't you start with that?

        Q: Why was AOL invented?
        A: To give the Internet an ethnic group to make fun of.
        Sheesh.

        Paul Archer

        10:49pm, mykeking@... wrote:

        > GET ME OFFof your "E" mail Address book.
        > Thanks MYKEKING@AOL>COM
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        My New Year's Resolution is 1280x1024!